Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would post some pics for anyone interested. Truck is a 2011 SV 4x4. I went up a size to a 265/75/16 on the tire. Everything else is stock with the truck. Price was $504 for the set (eBay Discount tire), $82 to get installed (local Discount Tire) and there was (might still be) a $75 dollar Visa rebate on these specific tires. So total cost was $511. Very happy with the price and how they drive so far on the street. Look great too!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am interested in these tires. Please keep us updated! As much as I like my duratracs, i need to find a more suitable tire for my own road driving which has increased since I bought a home. I need the winter compound so I was looking at the ATW Wild Peak but these are very close. Good looking tire!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NW_sV, thanks for posting some excellent photos. Your truck looks great.

We appreciate your business.

No problem!! I have always used Discount Tire and will continue to do so. The service is always great. And the prices are always right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I only wish I could see the tread a little better. Are they quiet on the street? I am looking for something a little more aggressive for the rear of my 2011 SV 2wd. I don't think the original BFG street tires will be very good if I encounter mud.

I also use Discount Tire, and have used the exclusively for at least 20 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pictures. I only wish I could see the tread a little better. Are they quiet on the street? I am looking for something a little more aggressive for the rear of my 2011 SV 2wd. I don't think the original BFG street tires will be very good if I encounter mud.

I also use Discount Tire, and have used the exclusively for at least 20 years.
Ill take some up close shots of the tread tomorrow morning for you. Id say there around the same volume as the BFG long trails i had, pretty quiet. The truck noticeably sits up taller when you are driving and they grip a lot better. I feel more confident in the turning. So far i find it comfortable for everyday driving. I don't do any off-roading (unless on my dirt bike) so I can't really say how they will perform there. I mainly bought them for the price and look :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I suppose you would have to adjust your speedometer to account for the taller tires...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting. I wondered why, at 75 mph, Priuses were passing me...lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just curious what psi are you running at? Notice mpg difference? Thanks

Tires look good by the way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. Those a very nice looking tires. Are they pretty quiet on the highway? How are they in loose or muddy conditions? They look like just what I am looking for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just curious what psi are you running at? Notice mpg difference? Thanks

Tires look good by the way.
Running at the recommended 35psi. Thats what Discount Tire set them to. Not sure about the gas mileage.

Thanks. Those a very nice looking tires. Are they pretty quiet on the highway? How are they in loose or muddy conditions? They look like just what I am looking for.
They are quiet on the highway, smooth as well. Id say about the same as the stock BFG long trails. They noticeably grip better and feel a lot more planted on the street. I actually went dirt biking yesterday that required a little gravel and dirt driving to get there. They performed great and didn't slip at all in these conditions. I don't do any 4x4 off-roading so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To add to this discussion about Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires, I also recently got some new P265/75R16 wildpeaks on my truck. I did not go with the LT tires

I have a completely stock, 2008 4x4 Frontier SE. 6 speed MT V6 with 112,000 miles
I had an odd brand Capital Precision trac 2 tires on the truck prior to my these new falkens. I did not like them at all.

I decided to go with the 265/75R16 instead of the OEM 265/70R16 and got them installed just yesterday.

First Impressons
I love these new tires.

Noise
They are very quiet on the highway, more quiet than my old capital trac 2 tires.
I did a quick decibel noise check. at 65 mph before the reading was around 67-68 db, with the new tires installed, at 65 mph i was getting 64-65 db. So about a 3 db drop in noise. This was with the windows up, and no radio.

Looks
Very aggressive . They almost take up the entire wheelwell. Pics included .

Weight/Performance
My old tires were about 39 lbs a tire, these new ones are 44 lbs a tires. So, 5 lbs a tire heavier, which is heavier, but I really didnt notice much of a difference in acceleration. I will have to wait and see if the gas mileage has any effect from the tires.

I am slightly worried about the massive amount of weights it too to balance 1 tire. Could this be a rim issue ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
To add to this discussion about Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires, I also recently got some new P265/75R16 wildpeaks on my truck. I did not go with the LT tires

I have a completely stock, 2008 4x4 Frontier SE. 6 speed MT V6 with 112,000 miles
I had an odd brand Capital Precision trac 2 tires on the truck prior to my these new falkens. I did not like them at all.

I decided to go with the 265/75R16 instead of the OEM 265/70R16 and got them installed just yesterday.

First Impressons
I love these new tires.

Noise
They are very quiet on the highway, more quiet than my old capital trac 2 tires.
I did a quick decibel noise check. at 65 mph before the reading was around 67-68 db, with the new tires installed, at 65 mph i was getting 64-65 db. So about a 3 db drop in noise. This was with the windows up, and no radio.

Looks
Very aggressive . They almost take up the entire wheelwell. Pics included .

Weight/Performance
My old tires were about 39 lbs a tire, these new ones are 44 lbs a tires. So, 5 lbs a tire heavier, which is heavier, but I really didnt notice much of a difference in acceleration. I will have to wait and see if the gas mileage has any effect from the tires.

I am slightly worried about the massive amount of weights it too to balance 1 tire. Could this be a rim issue ?
Doesn't look "excessive" to me. A little more than ideal? sure. More than likely, the heaviest part of the tire is mounted in line with the heaviest part of the rim. Keep in mind the weight of a truck wheel and tire compared to a car. if it bothers you enough, you can go back in and have the tire shop break the tire bead loose, rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees and reseat and balance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
More Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

20170220_103618.jpg

20170220_103626.jpg

20170220_103641.jpg

20170220_103650.jpg

20170220_103707.jpg

Got these installed last week at our new Discount Tire. At just over 20,000 miles the Rugged Trails were 75% worn out and getting scary in the rain, much less anything else. I agonized over this choice for months. Yup, I'm one of those. The other contenders were the Hankook Dynapro ATM and the Cooper AT3. I'm not going to compare them to the BFGs, anything is better than those. I did have Cooper ATPs on my 2010 Frontier for about 10,000 miles before I traded it in, so I'll compare them to those.

Mine are OEM size 265/75/16 P-rated not LT.

DRY HANDLING-Better than the ATPs. This was the one area I felt the ATPs fell a little short.

WET-Only have a couple of hundred miles on them and still waiting for rain. This was one area the ATPs excelled in. We get everything from deep ponding water to outright floods here, so I'll get back to everyone on that.

NOISE-These tires are really quiet. The ATPs were a little louder than the Long Trails, these are quieter than both. I don't think you can find a quieter A/T tire.

RIDE-A little better than the ATPs. The Rugged Trails always had a weird disconnected feeling. Now I feel like I'm connected to the road again. Smooth and better on the bigger bumps.

LOOKS-It's hard to tell from pictures, but these tires look more like full blown M/Ts than A/Ts in person. I was at the local dealership today for service and they had a 2017 Pro 4X with the Dynapros. The Hankooks are a great tire, but they can't come close in this category. Neither can the ATPs.

As for winter and off road, I'll have to wait a little longer for those. The ATPs were really good in the snow and with the snowflake rating on the Falkens I don't expect any disappointment there.

I hope all this helps if you're looking for new tires. The best thing I can say about these tires is that I don't find myself wondering if I made the right choice. I love these tires and I got a great deal from Discount Tire. ::grin::

P.S. Sorry about the picture orientation. I'll try to correct and repost them.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just ordered a set of 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3W - 265/75/16 P-rated last night from Discount Tire. Can't beat Free Shipping!

Got about 50k out of my gen 1 BFG ATKO's - wanted to go with a lighter weight tire this time (43.9lbs FKWAT vs 53lbs ATKO2). Will see how they hold up. Lots of dirt / rocky roads in my area.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts