Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kool Vue Cold Air Intake 2000

i have to say, i could not be more satasfied! i would sugest this for everyone. the quality looks great, the filter it self could be a lil better, and i will be getting a k&n for it, but it has a funnel in the filter flange wich i didnt expect at all, and all of the metal work is superb. by far best bang for your buck hands down, i will get more pics up after i install it tonight. i was also suprized how big it is, in the pic it just looked like a regular 3" intake, but i believe its a 3.5 or 4"

here it is fresh out of the bubble wrap.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks awesome. Looks almost like the old F5 Fujita MA-2817
Fujita Competition Air Intake Systems
its a replica of the k7n intake, the side that i got it from also sells the k&n intakes, metal and plastic. if you open the k&n pic next to the kool vue pic they are the same, probly the same pic too lol. only difference i see is the kool vue is $75 and the k&n is $385, so its a no brainer for me lol.

fitment is perfect, it took about an hour, uses, philips, flat head, 10mm socket, and 10mm wrench and a pair of ***** to cut the weather stripping for the heat shield. after closer inspection of the filter side by side with my old k&n drop in filter looking through them at a light, they look the same other than the kool vue one has is a lil fuzzy so i will just keep an eye on it to make sure its staying in good shape and not worry about getting a k&n filter for now.

its loud! sounds really good, alot better than k&n drop in with a hole cut in my stock box, now i can barely hear my exhaust when im on it lol. i've only driven it a couple miles so far, but it feels a lil more responsive, but not really faster persay. but you can really hear the air moving more thats for sure!

i know, i know, my engine bay is dirty

i just ordered a dynomax cat back also, it should be here next week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
interesting, please keep us posted on everything....great find!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had this intake for about a year and a half now. It really is the best intake for the price IMO. I did build a heat shield that bolts to the top of the box to seal it up a bit more. It is loud, but it sounds mean when you get on it. The only issues I've had are keeping the filter from falling off the cone adapter. Just check to make sure the filter clamp is secure and the filter is seated all way. But your price is about what I paid from autopartswarehouse.com. Then shortly after that it was hard to be found anywhere.

Dan

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
looks like a really nice buy for the price

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
looks nice. not a bad price either

·
Registered
201 Posts
how did you get it for 75 shipped. the site shows $83. did you use a coupon.

i know its only 8 bucks difference, but hey, 8 bucks is 8 bucks ; )

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks man! Just what my cheap *** self was looking for. I know there is engineering and sciency stuff that goes into building an intake, but I could never figure out how K&N and Volant and the other guys could charge hundreds of dollars for twenty dollars of materials.

Keep us posted on how you like it after a week or so.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i read some reviews of people with other cars having an issue with the check engine light coming on with some of these kits. any issues there? how are the instructions? detailed enough for someone with basic mechanical skills to install?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man! Just what my cheap *** self was looking for. I know there is engineering and sciency stuff that goes into building an intake, but I could never figure out how K&N and Volant and the other guys could charge hundreds of dollars for twenty dollars of materials.

hellz yeah, thats what i say!

and for the r&d they quote to have done, honistly 99% of the time when companys say "its engineered" with products, it is total b.s. sure they messure things nicely and do a nice job to keep a smooth flow and all, but as far as the engineering goes, what is there to engineer on an intake pipe lol? maybe when you get into filter/airbox setups, but majority of these setups are a simple cone filter, aluminum pipe, and a sheet metal box that was probbly started as a cardboard template. surely they would drafted it up on a computer but i highly doubt they waist too much time in hands on r&d on an intake pipe. on this one spacificly it has a lil baffle inside right before the MAF wich looks like the pipe used to cause a CEL, so they welded it in to direct air toward the MAF. the k&n pipe has the same baffle.

i read some reviews of people with other cars having an issue with the check engine light coming on with some of these kits. any issues there? how are the instructions? detailed enough for someone with basic mechanical skills to install?
my CEL never came on "probbly why the baffle was added to the inner pipe"

it was a quck install, the only part that wasnt self expanatory was wich L brackets went where on the heat shield, "there are 3, small, med, and large". but otherwise there was no need for instructions if you have more than 3 brain cells. but they where easy to follow too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
its been on for a lil over a week, everything seems good. it took away a lil wheel spin from the line, but top end feels a lil more open. i also installed my dynomax exhaust last tuesday. brought back a lil bottom end and a slightly noticable top end. for normal driving my old setup was a lil snappier "k7n drop in with cut box, and an suv muffler on stock piping" judging by the butt dyno. but when i ran my superchips i gained a couple tenths in the 1/8th and lost a couple in the 1/4. with my old setup i ran a 14.72 one time, but averaged 14.9-15.2 but with this setup i ran a 14.72 again but at that same place the best i got before was 14.9X

over all, im glad i did them so im not all jimmy rigged lol. it is more responsive, and is great in higher rpm and down shifts to mid rpm range feel much better "40mph where it was dead before" and obove 70mph where aerodynamics start to take effect, but from 0-25 mph i think i lost a lil bit

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
oops double post....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guys, sorry for the silly question, but I still have to ask, By doing this mod, I know some of you gain some horse power, but will this break your factory warranty or will it suck more gas ?

TT,

·
Registered
201 Posts
hellz yeah, thats what i say!

and for the r&d they quote to have done, honistly 99% of the time when companys say "its engineered" with products, it is total b.s. sure they messure things nicely and do a nice job to keep a smooth flow and all, but as far as the engineering goes, what is there to engineer on an intake pipe lol? maybe when you get into filter/airbox setups, but majority of these setups are a simple cone filter, aluminum pipe, and a sheet metal box that was probbly started as a cardboard template. surely they would drafted it up on a computer but i highly doubt they waist too much time in hands on r&d on an intake pipe. on this one spacificly it has a lil baffle inside right before the MAF wich looks like the pipe used to cause a CEL, so they welded it in to direct air toward the MAF. the k&n pipe has the same baffle.

my CEL never came on "probbly why the baffle was added to the inner pipe"

it was a quck install, the only part that wasnt self expanatory was wich L brackets went where on the heat shield, "there are 3, small, med, and large". but otherwise there was no need for instructions if you have more than 3 brain cells. but they where easy to follow too.

sweet, they put a baffle in there? that should fix that problem then.

I found the instructions for the k&n cai online, i'll just follow those instructions, but yeah it look pretty simple.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts