Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my k&n filter's performance 77 series intake system eariler today. Here are the pics. It took about 30-45min to install. The install was straight forward and the instruction sheet was clear and descriptive and depictive. The install can be done with very easy hand tools nothing special. (except maybe a 9/64 hex wrench I couldn't find one in my set so I had to go out and buy one. No big deal.) The only thing that I dont like about it was that I had to take out the nissan logo in the engine compartment due to that it is directly connected to the stock plastic intake pipe. Other than that it looks great. Driving experiece: It is quite noticably louder when you are stepping in the throttle. It gives sort of a deep roar as the rpms climb up. And at cruising speeds on the freeway (65-70mph) with the radio off there is a noticeable "sucking sound" (being compared to stock). The sound is not annoying or anything its just something different over stock so I thought I would point it out. As far as gas mileage it seems as though I am getting about 1-2 mpg (according to the little computer) around town/freeway. I have only driven it about 55 miles since installed so this figure is not very accurate but I will post later on when I get more miles on the kit. Overall the build quality and R&D is great and I am glad that I waited for the k&n instead of the afe(not that there is anything wrong with the afe, I believe that they have similar hp numbers so it was just the look that I was after). So enjoy the pics and If you have any questions I will answer them the best as possible. Tried posting pics but the site is full and max file size for all attachments has been reached so I will contact admin and see what is up.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more pics

here are more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, M4CK. Its great to have an administrator that gets things done right away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, lol

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Filter element

05_Electric_Blue_Nismo,

What is the filter element made of, foam? Does it come with a cleaning kit? I may
need to do this modification next.

OkieScot

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okiescot - the filter is a cotton/gauze type (std. K&N type element) No, it doesn't come with the cleaning kit but you can get one at any local parts store fro about $10. Or you can order one when you get your kt, or quite possibly ask the sales rep from where you buy it from if they will throw one in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update on the k&n kit

Update. 100 miles on the kit and all of a sudden I start hearing a vibrating/rattle noise coming from something and found out the filter seems to rattle against the corner of the fender and a bracket right above/behind the headlight. However there are some adjustments that can be made on the mounting brackets, so I am going to adjust it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. (just wanted to post about how it is going with the filter kit not trying to scare anyone away from buying the kit It is great and the power and growl that you get from it is excellent.)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
filter element

'05_Electric_Blue_Nismo,

Thank you for the answer to my question and for the update on your installation.

OkieScot

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update again.

I messed around with the mounting brackets and it seems as though I got it adjusted right, so now the filter doesn't hit anymore. So to all you that purchase and install the kit just make sure that you adjust it away from the drivers side front corner of the truck.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I just added this Item to the website, after reading that dynamic review I have to sell these!!!! Don't forget to use your discount codes...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Where'd you get it and for how much...?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Re: update on the k&n kit

05_Electric_Blue_Nismo said:
Update. 100 miles on the kit and all of a sudden I start hearing a vibrating/rattle noise coming from something and found out the filter seems to rattle against the corner of the fender and a bracket right above/behind the headlight. However there are some adjustments that can be made on the mounting brackets, so I am going to adjust it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. (just wanted to post about how it is going with the filter kit not trying to scare anyone away from buying the kit It is great and the power and growl that you get from it is excellent.)
Hey 05_Electric_Blue_Nismo

I just got the same kit and installed it on my Frontier LE CC.
Anyways just wondering what you did with the vacuum line (might just be a drain hose) that was connected to the stock airbox? When I installed the KnN Air Intake system there wasn't any hole or attachment for that hose so it is just zip tied with some other cables close by.

I know what you mean about adjusting the intake. Mine seemed to rattle with the polished intake against the hole it feeds through. I will re-align it tomorrow. What a growl though..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
intake answer

05FRONTY

I just put it through the hole in metal heat shield that the polished arm goes through I will try and get you pics later today.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
nice write up - what do you think the implications are with the warrenty with this installed?

i should just ask my service tech at the dealership i suppose...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts