Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a few weeks ago I bought a used 2008 Frontier SE V6 4wd that's got over 220k miles. I'm living in Pittsburgh, PA and have been lurking on this clubfrontier for a few weeks now. I especially like all the DIY love here! My experience is only general handiness, light home improvement and bicycle repair, but I do have a background in electrical engineering and computer vision research, which helps a little.

Somehow I was able to improve the long term fuel trim on my Frontier using a Veepeak bluetooth OBD2 donglefrom Amazon and Torque Pro on my android phone. I ended up finding a disconnected hose and cleaning the MAF sensor in 70% rubbing alcohol to improve the MPG from 12 to around 19 (using a light touch on the pedal). I've got lots of little and big problems with the Frontier, so I'm hoping to bug y'all about them over time, but reading many of your excellent posts mostly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi, a few weeks ago I bought a used 2008 Frontier SE V6 4wd that's got over 220k miles. I'm living in Pittsburgh, PA and have been lurking on this clubfrontier for a few weeks now. I especially like all the DIY love here! My experience is only general handiness, light home improvement and bicycle repair, but I do have a background in electrical engineering and computer vision research, which helps a little.

Somehow I was able to improve the long term fuel trim on my Frontier using a Veepeak bluetooth OBD2 donglefrom Amazon and Torque Pro on my android phone. I ended up finding a disconnected hose and cleaning the MAF sensor in 70% rubbing alcohol to improve the MPG from 12 to around 19 (using a light touch on the pedal). I've got lots of little and big problems with the Frontier, so I'm hoping to bug y'all about them over time, but reading many of your excellent posts mostly.
Where at in Pittsburgh are you from? I'm from the north hills!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the part of Squirrel Hill near Greenfield. Turns out a neighbor has a Frontier, but newer and in much better shape.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
My parents lived in Squirrel Hill when I was born downtown, near Oakland. Later we moved out to Eastmont, and then to Mt. Lebanon. Then when I was a teenager they dragged us to Arizona.

So I went to games at Forbes Field, Three Rivers, and went back in 2013 for a nice trip to PNC Park, Kennywood, bicycling around the point bike paths, Heinz Museum, etc. Great city, great vacation secret !!!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Welcome to the club, Ponow. Got a couple questions for you if ya don't mind. First, the quote about your fuel trim & Torque; can you elaborate more on how you did this? I've been running Torque Pro for a couple years or so now & didn't know you could change anything at all with it. Did you create a new PID or something? Or did you simply see the fuel trend was way off & did some investigating then found a few issues with your truck? This has me intrigued on what you did & how you did it.

Or, perhaps, am I just reading more into what you're saying than whats actually there? :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts