Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined because I'm researching the 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X, Crew-Cab, 6 Cyl/4.0 Ltr, 4x4, w/ 6 Speed Manual Transmission (and earlier year models) in order to make a decission about buying one of these "restricted to the ground travelling" machines, verses a Toyota Tacoma.

I'm replacing an old family friend I named many years ago "TUNDRA" for it's ruggedness (a rare - 1996 Ford Explorer XLT SUV, 4 door, 4x4, with 5 Speed Manual Transmission) that passed away recently after an 18 Y/O kid driving and texting ran into it at about 50 MPH (with a 2 dr Hyundai) while I was waiting to make a left hand turn. I wished he was an Insurgent that I could shoot! I donated "Tundra" to Cars of Cancer, and hopefully some of the parts will live on, and help others do the same in the process.

The Frontier PRO-x4 looks like a nice vehicle and my kids seem t think it has more room in the rear seat area than the Tacoma. Now I'm just waiting for the new 2011 pricing to be released to the dealers they can make me an offer and I can counter-offer, etc. I usually don't feel like a vehicle deal is done until the sales person is crying and begging me to take it for just slightly above what they paid for it - LOL!

If I do end up buying one, I'll probably upgrade my membership on this forum. Meanwhile I have read alot of great stuff about these vehicles and great modification ideas (adding 12V outlets, USB outlets, Mod GPS holders, etc. that sould like great ideas). Too bad they can't fly (in the air) as well (for more that a few seconds)!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
So a Hyundai killed an Explorer? That's amazing! I guess Hyundai really is building better cars these days...

Frontiers are really great trucks. They're less expensive than Tacomas, which is a plus in my book. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for. I did in my Frontier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took 2 more years after the collision for the Explorer to finally succumb to the CANCER of the damage. It was monatarily totalled by the insurance company, and it took the money and had it fixed (frame straightened, used bumper, used seat frames, wheel alignment, etc) enough to keep driving it for two more years while trying to fix the "new" problems with the instrument cluster and a few other things. Then one day a couple of weeks ago, it simply gave up the fight in out driveway. When I turned the key absolutely nothing happened; no instrucment lights of any kind, radio, lights, etc. After putting a battery charger on the battery (was fully charged) and trying to jump start it wit thw same results, it was pronounced officially dead. But it went out fighting to the end! The Hyundai never recovered, and I'm not sure how the kid driving it survived - if he was drivig a good old fshioned Chevelle I'm sure he wouldn't have. I got an ambulance ride with head and knee injuries - more hurt during than collision than two wars/tours of combat in Iraq! I equalte the kill of my Explorer by this Hyundai to a Komikazi pilot crashing into bigger and heavier ship, and sinking it. I hope KARMA eventually catches up to him someday, and another "Texter" get him and/or a vehicle he loves.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Have the dealer factory order the truck for you the way you want it. They can get you pricing already. Offer them dealer cost,they keep the holdback and everyone walks away friends. They have nothing to lose as they make almost $800 and you pick up the truck the day after it arrives.

Clint

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
can make me an offer and I can counter-offer, etc. I usually don't feel like a vehicle deal is done until the sales person is crying and begging me to take it for just slightly above what they paid for it - LOL!
I avoided the dealership haggling and dickering nonsense buy buying through Carsdirect.com
You can get a price quote without committing. Take the carsdirect offer to the dealer an see if they can beat it.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Manual trans trucks are much harder to come by and if they do locate one it could end up with many miles on it coming to you. By ordering it it arrives fresh with nearly no miles on it. An ordered car is sold immediately after it arrives and floor planning hasn't been paid on it. There is more pure profit made on ordered cars, than a car that has been sitting on the lot.

Clint

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
True, if you want a scarce or hard to find vehicle, the best way to purchase it is to order it. My son will be ordering a 2011 Camaro SS in October..for the same reasons you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
My truck took nine weeks but was worth the wait. Had I agreed to a swap there would have been 300 miles put on it by someone who couldn't care about it's reliability in the future. Have you ever seen how they fly by you with dealer plates on a highway?" My brother in law (auto salesman) brags about how fast he can get a swap car from point A to point B.

Clint

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can't get a crew cab Pro-X with a 6 speed. Couldn't do it with the NISMO (predecessor to the Pro-X) either.

You can get a Pro-X king cab with 6 speed. You can also get an SE Crew Cab 4x4 with 6 speed. Why you can't get the Pro-X with a manual and crew cab, I don't know. It's what I would like to find but they can't be configured that way.

I need the crew cab and want a manual so I've resigned myself to looking for an SE 4x4 with the crew cab and manual. They are very hard to find, but I have a few months to look - hoping to find a nice used one that hasn't been abused.

Replacing a 2000 Frontier 2WD XE 4 banger with almost 193K on it. Can't kill that thing - I've tried. Gonna' pass it down to my 16 year old to see how long it takes him to kill it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From my research I noticed that the 2010 configuration I want in Pro-4x, Crew Cab, 4X4, Blue, with 6 SPD Manual Transmission was not available.

I went by the dealer last week after my Ford Explorer died and pickup up a 2011 Brouchier for the Frontier.

This year it is is offered!

The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact that because it is the MANUAL Transmission I want, the PRO-4X Luxury Package is not an option (Roof rack, leather heated seats & mirrors, moonroof, fold down arm rest in back, etc.). It kills me because the luxury package options have no association with the drive-train capability. What were they thinking? With the Luxury package this vehicle could pull way ahead of any other pickup truck in it's class for style and comfort.

Today two local dealers have placed an ordder with NISSAN for the Frontier, Pro-4X, Crewcab, 4X4 without the luxury package (I'll do after market heated seat mods, etc that I want). I have one more dealer also ready to place an order for it too, then the one that is willing to take off the hold-back cost, etc to offer one for me at the lowest price will be the winner and get the sale.

They all know that I am not committed to buying the Frontier they ordered; each just doesn't don't know that another dealer has ordered it too! Until Nissan tells them their cost, they can't give me a price to negotiate from.

Capitalism with competition is a great thing - glad I served 20+ years to preserve it, eh! They all say they think it will be around $31K. But I already have a quote for a similat Toyota Tacoma with off -road package for $29K. So I'll use that comparision as a barganing chip, etc.

So now I'm in a waiting game for that price data from NISSAN to the dealers-let the games begin!

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
The holdback is between the dealer and the manufacturer and dealers don't negotiate it, nor would I ever ask them to.

Clint

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Good luck with your negotiations. And thank you for your service. I think Nissan in it's wisdom thinks if you order a manual, you want a work truck. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in the Syracuse (Centra)l NY state area: We have three Nissan Dealers in the area - to choose from. In september 2010 I went to all three of them and asked about ordering a 2011 Crew Cab Pro-4X (Navy Blue; 6 cyl/4.0; 4x4, 6 spd manual) and pricing. One dealership seemed to be clueless and never got me any information, two others couldn't get the prices but they ordered the truck I wanted and said they would know the price when it comes in. A month later they both had the exact same MSRP and pitched their best price. Dealership "A" took $803.00 off the price, and did not offer any assistance with getting the roof rack at wholesale dealership price and installed (Pro-4x with manual 4x4 doesn't come wth it, and I wanted it). Without negotiating one bit - Dealership "B" took $1500 off the price and told me about a $1000 rebate, total $2500 off the MSPR, ans sold me the roof rack for approx. $750 and 3 hours labor ($70/hr) to install it. Upon delivery (Black Friday), they told me that there was an additional $500 off in Nissan Rebates ($3000) off MSRP. I reivested the savings in to the truck and bought the rustproofing under and upper body protections, the paint sealant, and fabric protections (negotiated for $600), body side molding, GPS docking station, Keyless entry pad, 7 PIN towing harness and side window vent visors. Taxes, tags, etc out the door at MSPR price with everything ($29,465-ish). And they let me put it on a lift and go over it with a mechanic doing maintenece questions and answers for 1/2 hour at no charge. I got a few thousand dollars worth of educations for free too!

So, if you are in central NY state see BILL RAPP Superstore and salesperson Jonathan Bumpus!

BTW - I also bought/special ordered an manual transmission 2010 Subaru Forester from BILL Rapp's Subaru line last year for my wife, and that went very smooth too! I'm glad I went back to them for my Frontier - I LOVE MY NEW FRONTIER TRUCK. I think I'm going to name her - MOLLY, after Molly "Pitcher" of the Revolutionary War fame and hero at the Battle of Mammoth. If you don't know about her - Google! This Frontier is replacing a beloved 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr., 4X4; 6 cyl/4.0L, 5 spd manual XSMN that was rear-ended while I was stationary waiting to make a left turn, and subsequently destroyed by a Hyundai and 18 year old driving while texting at 40-50 MPH. I guess his motto was "If Aspire you can't be careful- Be Spectacular"! After 20 years of Army service including two wars and two tours in Iraq - a local kid came the closest to killing me! NOT LOL!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good to hear that you bought the Pro-4X CC with the 6 spd. Something Nissan should have offered on the 2005 Nismo CC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As luck would have it - I went to the Dollar store tonight to get some Holiday colored streamer rolls to help decorate the house for a KIDS party we are hosting tonight (28each 7 -8 th [email protected]!!!!) I pulled right in a spot next to a 4 door Frontier with a 1st Generation Roof rack on it! The owners came out just then and caught me eye-balling their roof rack. I reasurred them that nothing was wrong witht heir vehicle, I was just trying to figure out how I could measure it, and explained about my CAP/ROOF RACK project. The lady whipped out a tape measure, still in the packaging she just bought from the Dollar Store! Her husband and I measured it out right then ahd there (exact same measurements). It must be my DESTINY to get this part of my Molly Fronty project done the way I want it so I have parallell, basically matching roof racks instead of perpendicular (Yakima or Thule, and funny looking that way to me).

These roof racks remind me of UH-1 Huey (helicopter) skids - just upside down - LOL.

Thanks for your effort - I'm sure you will be rewarded in kind by the rule of KARMA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts