Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at about 40,000 miles, so I decided to change the fluids in the Transfer case, Auto Tranny, and front and rear final drives.

The FD's were in pretty good shape. Lots of fine shavings on the magnetic plug, but the oil was fairly clean.

The transfer case was NASTY. You could barely tell the fluid was red when it came out. You can tell it has heat breakdown and filth in it. Also, it was almost 1/2 qt low. Plenty of fine metal on the plug here too.
So if you haven't checked your transfer fluid, get in there and do it. I replaced it with Mobil 1 supersyn.

The ATF was in good shape. I would have been fine letting that go for awhile. The service manual calls for 11 qts, but keep in mind this is if you also drain the cooler and lines. I think I changed about 5 qts. I'm looking forward to returning the 6 unused quarts of $9 fluid!

Project took about 4 hours, and I was taking my sweet time. I would say that with multiple oil pans and now having done it before, I could get it knocked out in an hour.

I'd say the truck sees pretty heavy duty work loads. Lots of trailering, high speed offroading in 4WD, and a really dusty desert environment. I'm for sure going to change the TF case much sooner this time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you drain and refill you will use 5-6 quarts as stated. If you flush or tear tranny down it will take 11 quarts. most of fluid stays in torque converter. that is only fluid not changed. shouldn't hurt anyhting however. I am a nissan tech and always try to do maintainence early on my own vehicles as well. i like to be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts