Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm glad I found this site. I'm eager to learn more about my truck. A Black 2000 v6 automatic 4WD Frontier 125,000 mi. Paid $3500
In 1990 married 2 years I became a new father and bought my first house. The house needed a lot of work and I needed a truck. We were on a strict budget. With a new mortgage and baby,my wife was afraid we couldn't afford the car payments I explained to her I needed a truck to work on the house and do some side work. I bought a brand new 2 WD standard 4 cyl Nissan hardbody. It was advertised in the newspaper for $6799.

I went to the dealer with the ad and said I want this truck. This young and beautiful saleswoman said it doesn't come with a back bumper, AC ,power steering,or a radio. I got the AC,bumper. I told her I'll put my own radio in. Sales girl says do you want power steering? I say no. She couldn't believe I wouldn't go for $250 for power steering. I explain I grew up driving jalopies and don't need power steering. I say want this truck as cheap as possible and tell her once your moving you don't need power steering. I had to have AC which was $700. The bumper was $100 or $150. I wanted the truck for under $8000.

Every three point turn there after I cursed my decision not to go for the power steering. At times I even broke a sweat doing so. When I would lend the truck to neighbors and friends I always had to warn them it doesn't have power steering. Every time one of my kids were in the truck as I struggled with a three point turn even before they could understand I would look at them and say NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT POWER STEERING! I really did love that truck. I commuted to the city with it, made my house a beautiful home and did side work. I always felt good in it and driving it. It served me well. In the early 2000s as I grew more successful in my career and life got somewhat easier I gave it away to someone who needed it although I always missed it.

Well the 2000 has power steering ,4WD and automatic although I wish it were a standard. I hope it serves me as well as the old 1990. I'm happy to be here. Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
Congrats on your find(s)! Did your '00 come w/ any records? You'll want to know/verify that the timing belt was changed in your 3.3 V6.
Enjoy your submersion 'round here!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local dealer selling it advertised it as timing belt and water pump just done. Has all receipts. I forgot to get the receipts but will call today. Thanks for letting me know that. I see from this forum that the timing belt is an issue. The 2.4 with standard trans you have is great. Mine had 160,000 when I gave it away.

·
Vendor
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great intro, nice to have you here. There are so many owners on this site that if you ever need help or advise on anything, someone will have the answers. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions at all, we are always happy to help!

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
The local dealer selling it advertised it as timing belt and water pump just done. Has all receipts. I forgot to get the receipts but will call today. Thanks for letting me know that. I see from this forum that the timing belt is an issue. The 2.4 with standard trans you HAD (edit: mine) is great. Mine had 160,000 when I gave it away.
Timing BELT is a maintenance item at every 105k mile interval.
2.4 has a chain, supposedly good for the life of the engine.

My '00 (bought used in '05) was the most dependable vehicle of all I've owned since '78.
~ Sold it to my gal's bro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts