Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a good deal on a barely used kit. My ? is how is the performance and mpg increase from those that have it? How is the sound as well? I have a factory intake with a K&N filter now, will I see any gain or should I stick with the setup I have now? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Never liked K&N.Lot of complaints with poor filtration.A major supplier for Dodge diesel parts refuses to sell them.
The Amsoil nano fiber is much better and uses the stock box is a lot better if you can find one, IMO. Sorry

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Unless you are doing a lot more performance mods, you likely won't see any benefit by installing a K&N or any other intake system. The factory air intake is actually pretty good and is a true, cold air intake system. I'm not a big fan of the K&N system, as well. Many go with the Volant CAI system, which is reasonable priced and not too bad of a system. I went with an aFe Momentum CAI system in my 06 Pathy, but I also did a number of other mods, as well, including an intake spacer, exhaust work and a tuner. The aFe is a really nice system, but it is a little expensive, as well.

One thing I had an issue with that I had to figure out was that the mounting bracket, that is part of the ABS actuator mount bracket, raised the air box too high on the Volant and aFe systems until I adjusted it as is pictured below:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Put it on and enjoy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good question, I tried a few things to get some more kick out of my 2010 V6 without doing any major mods. I bought a Superchips programmer and ended up selling it, probably worth it if your modding, I have no experience there, but I really didn't notice much. In any case I also got a CAI (which should really be called IAI for increased air intake), and it did seem to add some performance at first, then after a week seemed to go back to as it was. There is a thread on this forum discussing when you disconnect the battery, which I did when installing the CAI, it resets the ECU settings and it performs better, but once you drive it awhile it learns and goes back to whatever for the best MPG and you lose the performance. And in that thread there is way to reset it without disconnecting the battery if you want to keep doing that, which I did but that didn't even seem to matter after awhile.

But here is what I found and I am sure there will be opposing opinions; I run 89 octane with the CAI and in my humble opinion there is no doubt that combination performs very well. Much better than 89 octane alone, or the CAI alone. Yes, it costs more to fill up, but for me its worth it.

I take my MPG every fill up and haven't really noticed any difference, but I do get on it a lot more so who knows.

I hope someone else here tries that and can submit their opinion, I would be interested. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Install and go vroom vrrom. You'l like it.
But don't kid yourself into thinking that somehow adding more air, so that you can burn more fuel, to get more power will result in better MPG!

·
Registered
397 Posts
...don't kid yourself into thinking that somehow adding more air, so that you can burn more fuel, to get more power will result in better mpg!
>:d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts