Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just bought a 98 frontier XE 5spd with 185k miles. Engine runs great, throwout bearing is probably bad and i can't get the fill plug out of the trans (havent bothered with the drain yet). I've been searching the site for a bit now but havent needed to post until know (stupid pipe plug).

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I just use an open end wrench to remove my 1998 5-speed's fill plug, 14mm if memory holds; I sometimes use a bar or pipe for extra leverage if necessary, as I don't have a hoist so cannot be standing up. If the square is rounded, use a large genuine Vise-Grip pliers and pipe extension to loosen it. Or use a large plumber's pipe wrench and a pipe extension if necessary (large wrench, not large plumber).

Yes, it's possible someone wrongly used some epoxy or sealant on that, sorry....does not need to be gorilla'd in....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my pipe plugs are all the female variety. A 1/2 socket wrench fits into it. It's just amazingly stuck. Put a 2.5 foot breaker bar on it and nothing. I might jack it up and put a cheater bar on the breaker bar....

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I just use an open end wrench to remove my 1998 5-speed's fill plug, 14mm if memory holds

So my pipe plugs are all the female variety. A 1/2 socket wrench fits into it. It's just amazingly stuck. Put a 2.5 foot breaker bar on it and nothing. I might jack it up and put a cheater bar on the breaker bar....
Yipes ! Memory was thinking of my 1988 Mazda truck, sorry !!! Yes, large 1/2 inch breaker bar; clean out the plug's recess, tap the 1/2-inch breaker bar in, hold at exactly parallel to the plug, and use an extension pipe for more leverage. I'd enlist a friend to hold the breaker bar in the plug straight (have him wear safety glasses), and then turn the extension pipe on the breaker bar end. Too bad, these do not have to be super tight...

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
You can also take a propane torch and heat the case around the plug (within reason) to help break it loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts