Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 2016 CC SV and recently traded for a 2020 pro-4x with the 3.8 L and 9 speed. After putting a few hundred miles on the truck I have to say the new drivetrain is really great. I didn’t have a problem with the older 4.0 set up, but I guess I didn’t know what I was missing.
For the first one hundred miles, the transmission was kinda funny in the first three gears. It seemed to hesitate sometimes from a stop, other times the shifting would be hard. Once I felt it slip a little between 2 and 3. I thought something was off. However, all of that went away with some more miles. It shifts really great now. I can barely tell it is shifting most times.
It’s a totally different truck than the 2016. Quieter, faster, and more fun to drive. I looked into the genesis of this transmission and I think it is a Jatco licensed and made version of the Mercedes 9g Tronic.
Looking through some Mercedes forums, the same minor complaints from a brand new 9g tronic were there and also the same resolution after some breaking in. I was glad to see that this was not an entirely new transmission but one that had been tested IRL for the last 5 years or so.

That is all. Thought I would share my experience.

·
Registered
565 Posts
How is the gas mileage difference? Noticeable at fill up or just barely better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the gas mileage difference? Noticeable at fill up or just barely better?
Anecdotally, I haven’t noticed much difference from the 2016, but I suspect it will need to break-in completely before the modest increase in mpg’s could be seen. It certainly is no worse!
It is noteworthy that the new transmission keeps engine rpm’s low, even at highway speeds. I suspect on a long trip at highway speed you would really notice the better mpg since the rpm’s are lower than the 4.0 with the older automatic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owned a 2016 CC SV and recently traded for a 2020 pro-4x with the 3.8 L and 9 speed. After putting a few hundred miles on the truck I have to say the new drivetrain is really great. I didn’t have a problem with the older 4.0 set up, but I guess I didn’t know what I was missing.
For the first one hundred miles, the transmission was kinda funny in the first three gears. It seemed to hesitate sometimes from a stop, other times the shifting would be hard. Once I felt it slip a little between 2 and 3. I thought something was off. However, all of that went away with some more miles. It shifts really great now. I can barely tell it is shifting most times.
It’s a totally different truck than the 2016. Quieter, faster, and more fun to drive. I looked into the genesis of this transmission and I think it is a Jatco licensed and made version of the Mercedes 9g Tronic.
Looking through some Mercedes forums, the same minor complaints from a brand new 9g tronic were there and also the same resolution after some breaking in. I was glad to see that this was not an entirely new transmission but one that had been tested IRL for the last 5 years or so.

That is all. Thought I would share my experience.
I just bought a new 2020 Pro-4X a few weeks ago and I have noticed some of the same things. Starting from a stop, sometimes it’s smooth and sometimes there’s either a little hesitation between gears or sometimes it seems to shift a little hard in the first few gears. I’m glad to hear is mellows out after a while. I guess I just need to commit to driving it a lot more! On the other hand once my truck is moving, shifting seems smooth and responsive and I really like how it drives. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
84 Posts
I recall the throttle hesitation on a test ride, but have not noticed in a month and 1000 miles on my '20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How's your downshifting fellow 2020/21 owners? I'm at 1500 miles and still noticing some strangeness when coming to a stop and in the early gears at take off,, but I come from driving manuals most my life so I think I'm still "learning" the feels of the 9 speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How's your downshifting fellow 2020/21 owners? I'm at 1500 miles and still noticing some strangeness when coming to a stop and in the early gears at take off,, but I come from driving manuals most my life so I think I'm still "learning" the feels of the 9 speed.
I think it’s just the super low first few gears. They are just so different from any 5 or 6 speed manual or auto that I think it just takes getting used to.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4X
34 Posts
I notice in my 2021 that first thing in the morning the shifts from a stop can be a little hard, but after half a mile it's smooth as butter. 1,400 miles so far so, break in and it's not a morning person.

·
Registered
2021 Frontier CC SV Midnight
11 Posts
I’ve noticed the same on my 2021 , I just figure its because of the really low ratio of the first few gears , I’m just over 1000 miles and love the truck so I’m not going to worry about it much lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I notice in my 2021 that first thing in the morning the shifts from a stop can be a little hard, but after half a mile it's smooth as butter. 1,400 miles so far so, break in and it's not a morning person.
Yup, cold mornings it is more noticeable. Mine is exactly the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel much better reading about the similarities with the new tranny. I think I was just overthinking every lil sound and feel. (First new $$$ vehicle in a while) Thnx all!

·
Registered
2020 SV 4x4
82 Posts
Yup, glad you posted this. I have 450 miles on my 20, and was getting slightly concerned. Nothing different that what you all have said.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
84 Posts
I closed the windows and turned off the radio and listened. 1st seem to go to 2nd at about 10-11 mph, 2nd to 3rd seems around 20 mph. This is certainly lower than about any AT I've used, where the shift points seem around 15 mph, 1st to 2nd and 30mph for 2nd to 3rd. Is it annoying ?, no, just different. It's also a 9 spd so I can expect some differences that the 4 or 5 spd. AT's I've used prior. I'll pay attention to my wife's Mazda 3 AT next time we drive it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel much better reading about the similarities with the new tranny. I think I was just overthinking every lil sound and feel. (First new $$$ vehicle in a while) Thnx all!
[/QUOTE
I closed the windows and turned off the radio and listened. 1st seem to go to 2nd at about 10-11 mph, 2nd to 3rd seems around 20 mph. This is certainly lower than about any AT I've used, where the shift points seem around 15 mph, 1st to 2nd and 30mph for 2nd to 3rd. Is it annoying ?, no, just different. It's also a 9 spd so I can expect some differences that the 4 or 5 spd. AT's I've used prior. I'll pay attention to my wife's Mazda 3 AT next time we drive it.
It is different. Completely agree. I think the transmission sometimes drops down to first anticipating more throttle like at a rolling stop. Reminds me of 1st gear in 4-Lo or something. Its like a combo of driving in 4-Lo and 4-Hi. Not sure if that makes sense. Not bad, just different from my 20+ years of driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was getting concerned myself. I have 600 miles on my 2020. First, second and third go by so quick and do hit hard, sometimes feeling like it is searching for the correct gear. Also sounds like a turbo winding down when down shifting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts