Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a 2012 Pro-4x 50k miles last week. So far it seems to run and drive just fine, other than that damn pesky idle vibration. I'm going to take it to my buddy's truck shop at some point to get him to bump the idle.

Is there anything else I should be looking for in this particular year/model? I know the 2nd gen spans several years and Idk what, if any, variations there may be or known issues to look out for? The carfax shows no damage or major fixes. Only regular maintenance logs.

edit for pic:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Grats on the truck. All the variations are the headlights, grill, and front bumper slightly changing in '08, the names changing in '10, and the radio and ac controls changing through the years. Nothing mechanical that I'm aware of. The axle vent mod is worth doing if you expect to do any off roading or suspect that it has been taken off road then its a wise investment. Do you plan on doing any mods to the truck or mainly keeping it stock?

**Edit: I think the axle may have changed at some point. (Not sure though)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The truck will be off road and through water for sure. Not anything crazy but from April through then end of the year I'm in the woods at least every other weekend, it's why I have the truck and why I had an Expedition before (Expy was a bit big and its not a truck). I specifically wanted a 4 door 4x4 truck not in a 1-ton version. I like that the pro came with skid plates too. I cringed every time I drove through the creek in the expy or down the forest service road and would hear a rock hit the bottom

ps: going to edit OP to add pic

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds great and low miles for a 2012!

If it were mine, I'd do a drain/fill or 2 on the 5spd auto, the transfer case and axles.

I'd suck out the power steering fluid reservoir and brake res too, but I'm perhaps too OCD when it comes to that. Good thing is, these trucks are easy to DIY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great and low miles for a 2012!

If it were mine, I'd do a drain/fill or 2 on the 5spd auto, the transfer case and axles.

I'd suck out the power steering fluid reservoir and brake res too, but I'm perhaps too OCD when it comes to that. Good thing is, these trucks are easy to DIY.
The dealer I got it from claimed to have done all that. It didn't come from a shady used car spot, it came from the used lot of a big local new car dealer so I'd probably trust their maintenance claims over some side of the road spot but I am like you and I like to know for sure. It's going to my regular mechanic on thursday for a once over and I'll probably get him to do all the fluids while it's in. The oil for sure. I only ever run synthetic and know that any dealer, even a reputable one, will probably use conventional.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Have the same year - congrats on your new truck.

Check your manual for fluid amounts. Brands vary on any forum - go with what you are comfortable with, your budget, and research.

For peace of mind @ 50K miles, wouldn't hurt to change the Front & Rear Diff, Trans case, ATF (didn't see if yours was a manual). I use Amsoil for Front and Rear Diff, Nissan fluids for TC and AT.

Front Diff
- approximately (0.875 quarts) or (1.75 pts)
Rear Diff - approximately (2.12 quarts) or (4.25 pts); think I used a little more because I replaced the stock 4X cover with an ARB cover and Mag-Hytec gasket
Transfer Case (Nissan Matic D from local stealership) - approxmately (2.125 quarts)
Automatic Transmission Fluid (Nissan Matic S from local dealership price matched - YMMV) - think I had bought 6 quarts; Nissan (999MP-MTS00P)

Oil (every 6 K) - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30; Mobil 1 Extended Oil Filter (M1-110 or M1-110A) - buy in bulk; Amazon or Wally World have clearance sales with Rebates a few times/year - can get 5 quart Jug for around $10-12 after rebate. Oil Filter usually get at Wally World and buy 4 or 5 of them (weird my Honda uses the same one)
Brake Fluid - just switched to Amsoil Dot 3/Dot 4 Synthetic

If you are in the rust belt or salt areas, and you plan on off-roading quite a bit, wouldn't hurt to undercoat your chassis (Chassis saver or POR-15); a little bit goes a long way

This thread below will help ease into some simple mods without breaking the bank. Good luck and enjoy it.

Best Mods for Under a Hundred Bucks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts