553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Username: JSutter
Year: 2007
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: SE CC 4x4
Color: Radiant Silver

My truck is a mix between family hauling, work and play. I hardly plan anything. Many upgrades are from when parts wear out or a part pops up cheap. Quite often I go out to the garage and start messing with it for no good reason. This list helps me remember all the crap I've done.

Mods and goodies:

Interior:

-Kenwood DDX512 DVD/CD player w/ Bluetooth
-Rockford Fosgate speakers
-Kenwood KAC-728 amp
-10" Infinity Reference 1062w in sealed box
-Cobra CPI 880 800 watt power inverter
-Gentex auto dimming, Homelink, and compass mirror
-Panavise phone mount bracket
-OEM leather steering wheel
-OEM Pathfinder window switch covers
-WeatherTech front floor liners
-Aries 3D rear floor liner
-Rear seat 12v outlet
-JSMods air ride control panel
-CoverKing ballistic rear seat covers
-Center console arm rest cover
-POD trailer brake
-OEM fog light switch
-Bussman fuse block
-Automate AM7 remote starter alarm
-Fortin Can-sl-pl bypass

Exterior:

-OEM fog lights
-Hella FF75 driving lights on roof rack
-Hella FF50 fog lights under rear bumper
-WeatherTech side window deflectors
-Thule Top Track Roof Rack
-Thule fairing
-Ultra Tow LED Mini Lightbar
-Truxedo Deuce 2 tonneau cover
-Truxedo bed extender brackets
-OEM heated mirrors
-OEM step rails
-Relocated trailer plug to bumper
-Removed front lower bumper trim
-JSMods 120v and 12v bed mounted outlets
-SUV Tuffbin mounted to Utili-Track
-EZDown tailgate damper
-JSMods LED bed lights
-JSMods bed tie down rings
-Body color grille
-Body color tailgate handle
-Painted black trim, bumpers, cowl, grille, mud flaps
-Removed tailgate emblems
-Silver skid plate
-OEM tailgate spoiler
-Hitch mount bed extender rack
-Snowdogg MD75 snow plow

Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires:

-Bilstein 5100 front struts set 2"
-Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
-Moog cam bolts, lower control arms, tie rods
-PRG adjustable shackles
-Firestone Ride-Rite w/ Contitech air springs
-Firestone Air-Rite compressor and control panel
-265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro AT M on MB Chaos 6 16x8.5" ET12
-EBC Green Supreme 7000 front pads
-EBC Premium front rotors
-Red painted calipers

Under the hood, Performance, and Drive train:

-K&N drop in air filter
-JSMods air box inlet mod
-Rear axle vent routed behind tail light
-Bully Dog GT
-JSMods hood struts
-Wolf whistle

Removed & Possibly Pictured:

-Rancho Quicklift struts and shocks
-PRG 1/2" lift spacer
-Calmini lift shackles
-AVS in-channel VentVisor
-OEM all season rubber floormats
-Radiator/transmission bypass
-Playstation 2
-Optronics driving lights under rear bumper
-PSE 275 amber beacon
-Homelink garage door opener
-Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
-LT285/70r16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on SV alloys
-P285/50r20 Hankook Ventus ST RH06 on MB Gunner 6 20x8.5"
-P265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer M+S on stock steelies
-P265/70r16 Firestone Winterforce on MB Chaos 6 16x8.5" ET12
-CSF aluminum radiator
-Stillen oil cap

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bought it from a fellow member in March. He had done some audio mods as well as the roof rack and wheels. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f7/nissan-nut-adds-d40-family-78992/

I immediately changed the plugs, battery, oil & filter, and did some other basic maintenance. I needed an air filter so I figure why not get a panel filter for now. While I was in there I removed the silencer and added a bigger inlet to the air box. Home Depot racing!

I also needed some extra storage to I went to Lowes and bought a storage bin. I got some Super-strut hardware and made up some brackets to hold it secure. I also had to add a lock. I like the size, it lets me fold the extender away and does not get in the way of the Utili-Track.

I also did the popular axle vent mod and transmission radiator cooler bypass.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At work we have had a few Tacomas. I really liked the TRD's bed outlet. I picked up a Cobra power inverter at Cabela's. I knew I did not want it under the seat. That's valuable storage! The area under the dash above the drivers kick panel was a huge piece of real estate. I fab'ed up a bracket from scraps laying around and mounted it to existing studs. I ran 6 awg wire from the battery, through an existing hole on the firewall.

I picked up a black exterior outlet and mounted it to a bracket I made. It uses a hole from the Utili-Track and gets sandwiched between the bed and track. I also added a 12v outlet for good measure.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Seeing as my truck has over 100,000 miles I figured the struts and shocks were due for a change. At first I looked at just struts. Then I saw the adjustable Bilsteins. Mmmm lifts! So I started looking at lifts and leveling kits. I did not want CB contact so spacers would not cut it. I ended up getting the Rancho Quicklift from Advance Auto along with the matching rear shocks. I couldn't be happier with them. They ride great and gave me exactly 2" of lift. Rancho thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/rancho-quicklift-installed-many-pics-81204/

Before:

After:

Rear shackles are in the mail and up next.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
looks good!

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I also needed some extra storage to I went to Lowes and bought a storage bin. I got some Super-strut hardware and made up some brackets to hold it secure. I also had to add a lock. I like the size, it lets me fold the extender away and does not get in the way of the Utili-Track.
Who makes that storage box and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really like that power outlet in the bed. I may have to do this as well. Would come in handy while camping.n Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed a pair of Calmini shackles to go with the front lift.

But I changed my mind on height and swapped them for PRG adjustable shackles, middle setting. Only half an inch higher, but I may go to the highest setting in the future.

Everything went pretty smooth so far. I bought a set of adjustable cam bolts so I could get an alignment after the lift. Well the original non adjustable cam bolts were seized and needed to be cut out. There was no way I could get them out of the control arms so I replaced those as well.

I highly recommend using a puller for the lower ball joint. I used a pitman arm puller from NAPA. It made quick work of separating the BJ from the knuckle.

I also replaced the fluids in the diffs, transfer case, and transmission with Amsoil. The old stuff was nasty.

Next up is wheels and tires. I never really liked the 20's. I picked up a set of SV 16" wheels. I just need to make up my mind on 265/75 or 285/75 and then which tire I want. There are way too many AT tires on the market these days!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had tried both low and middle settings on the shackles (previously pictured), so I had to try the highest setting. A bit too much rake..... may have to raise the front more. :(

I picked up a PRG 1/2" spacer to add with the quick lift. Its actually 1/4" thick so it fit fine on the stock studs. It gave me around 3/8" lift.

Its still a bit raked but I like the height. I should note, there is noticeable coil bucket contact now. I also removed the lower portion of the front bumper.

Yesterday I got 285/70/16 Terra Grapplers put on. Bye bye dubs.
Pics to come........

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I picked up a set of SV wheels a few months back, picking out a wheel was easy. The tires.... not so much. I spent months researching tires. 265/75r16, 285/75r16, A/T, M/T, brand X, etc. I really wanted to go with the 285's but I really did not want any rubbing or to do any trimming. Luckily I stumbled across a thread with 285/70r16, I thought it was a typo. Nope! Thank you Nitto/Toyo for making this size. Fits like a glove. I went with the Nittos over the Toyos just because of the more aggressive sidewall. They are damn quiet too. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f78/lt285-70r16-trail-grapplers-installed-83185/

The best part is they are made in the USA!

Sears FUBAR'D my wheels during installation :thatswck:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
awesome!! looks much much much better with those wheels and tires. great job sir.

Reactions: Tom75

·
Registered
919 Posts
wow! those tires completely transformed the look of the truck. even the SV wheels look pretty good.

what's next on the mod list?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How are the rs9000xl shocks on the rear? Have you had to mess with the adjustment much? Did you get the model that is made for something like a 1-3" lift? Did you happen to test the droop travel when you put them on?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to make a rear shock choice for a 1.5" lift application, and noticed that the stock shocks limit axle droop quite a bit with lift shackles on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Initially I planned on running the Calmini shackles, which were fine with the stock shock length. However now that I'm running the PRG shackles on the highest setting I should have gotten longer shocks. I did check droop travel, there is a good amount still, but I didn't note the measurements. I did notice that if the shocks were longer then extended brake lines (and relocated ABS wires) would be needed. I have been thinking about shock relocation/extensions to help get some droop travel back. Right now the suspension is fine for what I do, but I know stuff with change in the coming years.

Out in a sand pit doing some target shooting.

I also took care of the peeling paint on the roof.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/repainted-roof-gutters-lots-pics-83745/

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Initially I planned on running the Calmini shackles, which were fine with the stock shock length. However now that I'm running the PRG shackles on the highest setting I should have gotten longer shocks. I did check droop travel, there is a good amount still, but I didn't note the measurements. I did notice that if the shocks were longer then extended brake lines (and relocated ABS wires) would be needed. I have been thinking about shock relocation/extensions to help get some droop travel back. Right now the suspension is fine for what I do, but I know stuff with change in the coming years.
Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't even thought about the brake lines. I'm just trying to get the most travel that I can.

So your shocks are longer than stock or not? Thats weird if they are stock length and any longer would require extended bake lines because I put these shackles on my 2005 and noticed the rear end on that truck could droop a lot further than the stock shocks allowed (atleast 3-4 inches). Even with the shocks unbolted the springs would completely relax with the weight of the axle and the brake lines were still fine.

By the way, your truck is looking great. I hope to get a set of those 285/70's some day, and great job on the gutters too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just PM'd you about this! Strongly considering this lift and wanted to get your no BS opinion on if I should run it or not

1 - 20 of 59 Posts