Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it does not appear I ever posted anything.

Bought my first Frontier back in 2006. Was your usual run of the mill SE, CC, AT, 4wd. Great truck for 10+ years and 110k+ miles.

Knowing the truck had a lot of life left in it but was reaching a point of likely needing things, I decided to trade it in on a new 2016 Pro 4x over the Thanksgiving weekend in November.

Thankfully my 06 didn’t need much of anything over the years and I hope my ’16 is the same. I do as much work on my vehicles as I can, but it is nice to have a DD that doesn’t need to be fiddled with all the time. I have a 30 year old Porsche 944 that I use to get my wrenching fix.

The improvements and refinements over the past decade are very, very noticeable in the new truck.

Hope to contribute to the group.

Thanks!

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,596 Posts
Well, that was a long time making your first post - welcome to the forum. I dated a lawyer for three years and she owned an old 944 - that thing was a money pit - especially going through steering racks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I usually do a lot more reading than posting.

You are 100% correct the 944 is a money pit. Although I think that applies to any older Porsche. Great car, love the way it handles, just never stops needing things. Engine is currently out to address the numerous oil leaks that accompany 30 year old seals, o-rings, etc. As some say the bleeding stops when you run out of money. :)

Thankfully I can do my own wrenching.. only way I can "afford" to keep the car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I remember when I worked for a Porsche dealership the year before the 911 C4's came out, that was an amazingly fun job for a 17 year old to be able to drive Porsche, Jag and BMW's all day long!

It was better than owning one, you got to give it back at the end of the day!

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,596 Posts
Check your bottom end if you have that motor out - I remember something happened in that 944 motor and threw/bent several valves. That was $6k in motor work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing the engine you describe had the timing belt break. 944's are an interference engine and the recommended belt change is 3yr/30k, whichever comes first. You also have to be diligent with retentions of the belt at the specified intervals. When I bought the car the first thing I did was replace the water pump, rollers, timing and balance shaft belts. Also replaced every cooling and heating hose. I won't make 30k miles on my car before I hit 3 years but will still change the belt.

They are also known for spinning the #2 rod bearing from oiling issues. Since I'll have the pan off, I'm going to replace them while I'm in there.

So glad the Japanese make reliable vehicles. I mutter to myself that the 944 is Hitler's revenge anytime I have to work on it. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts