Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Join the After-market performance chip campaign

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Donahue57 
#1 ·
Everyone knows there is not a aftermarket chip out for the 2005-06 Frontier yet. I am sure its only a matter of time. We might be able to speed up the process by emailing requests to have them make a chip for the Frontier.

Here is a link to Superchips where you can Email them a request to have a chip made.
http://www.superchips.com/contact.phtml

All I wrote was
I am the leader of a third world country and we currently have 10,000 2005 Nissan Frontiers waiting for a Superchip. We are willing to pay 1000 U.S. Dollars for each one.
"just kidding"
or

I am the owner of a 2005 Nissan Frontier and would love to purchase a SuperChip for my vehicle. When do you plan to release a chip for my vehicle? Thankyou very much.

or something like that.
There are strength in numbers so maybe if enough of us email them, they will consider bumping us up on the R&D schedule.

If anyone else has another company they would like to try and get to make a chip, include
a link in your post. Maybe a company with more foreign car experience.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
great work, the more Emails the better.

remember If anyone else out there knows of a Chip maker that might be more willing to make a chip for nissan let us know.

#5 ·
You do realize you are using the wrong terminology right??? The Frontier is not a "chipable" vehicle. I believe the only way to edit the maps in the ECU is through an ECU reflash, although they might be able to be edited through the OBD-II port through the use of something like a Hypertech Power Programmer. I would recommend contacting Hypertech over Superchips.

#6 ·
Thanks KingTUT

Here is where the hypertech link where you would request a reprogrammer.

http://www.hypertech.com/contact.html

Sorry I honestly don't know much about this subject. All I know is the more interest is shown
the more likely it is we get what we want.

#8 ·
As far as I know, a chipped Frontier won't really get a big performance gain, as it has no turbo to remap. A chip will, however, force you to buy high octane fuel.

I'm interested in knowing if they can be chipped to run E85 (85% Ethanol, 15% Gasoline) or if that means new parts too. I almost bought the Ford Explorer Four Trac just because of it's flex-fuel status...then I drove it...what a pile of steaming sh*t. I don't think I even got the name right, above, that's how much of an impression it made on me.

#9 ·
Some of the chip companies are advertising 87 octane compatible chips for some engines.

And not to be skeptical but saying that no more performance gains could be made seems a little premature.
Lets let them give it a try first.

Maybe I was wrong, because it doesnt seem that to many people are interested in an aftermarket reprogrammer or chip or whatever for our vehicles.
But If they do come out with one I will probable get one.

I had a 1995 VW Jetta and put an aftermarket chip into it that made a world of difference.

probably incorrect logic

#10 ·
kansasfrontier said:
And not to be skeptical but saying that no more performance gains could be made seems a little premature.
I didn't say there wouldn't be any performance gain by chipping, I said it would be minimal, and anything worth it's weight is going to require high-octane fuel. I'll admit, I've been wrong before, but I wouldn't count on more than a 5-10% HP gain by chipping a stock truck. Bolt a turbo/supercharger on it first, and you could easily get this motor into the 350 HP range.

#11 ·
I had a programmer for my Explorer for a short time (till I sold the truck and then the tuner) and it made a pretty big difference and my Explorer was bone stock. The nice thing about the tuner was the ability to put it back to the stock tune before taking it in to the dealer. Remember, most of us still have plenty of warranty left on our trucks, and quick easy upgrades that can be easily removed to return the truck to stock are needed. My dealer was complaining because I had a K&N filter and wasn't using the OEM Nissan Filter! He claimed the K&N let lint contaminate the MAS! So, bolting on a turbo charger or supercharger really isn't a viable option until the truck is out of warranty and we're paying for repairs anyway! The tuner was quick, easy and pretty much undetcable by the dealer!

#12 ·
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
So, bolting on a turbo charger or supercharger really isn't a viable option until the truck is out of warranty and we're paying for repairs anyway!

I'm under the assumption that a NISMO supercharger/turbo kit wouldn't void your warranty provided you had a qualified technician install it. I think I remember reading they've got one in the works for the 350Z whose engine is remarkably simillar to our Frontiers. Nissan was really smart to use essentially the same blueprint for their V-6 engines found in Altima, Maxima, 350Z and Infinity line. I'd bet our Frontiers/Pathfinders have a bit more space under the hood to work with too!

I probably woudln't buy a turbo or supercharger, as I think the truck has plenty of power stock, but for those of you who want more, I would suggest waiting for a turbo/supercharger before going the chip-tuning route. You'll maximize your value for the dollar, and HP that way. Inevitably you'll want boost if you want to tweak your truck, and that will mean another chip down the line.

Am I nuts? :)

#13 ·
I wasn't thinking of a NISMO part, that makes a big difference!

#14 ·
If someone has, or can get, a 2005-06 Frontier to us in Salt Lake City, Utah we may be able to help. We'd need to take a closer look at the ECU but we're developing a programmer for other late-model Nissans currently and would be happy to at least take a look at the ECU and see if we can't do something for Frontier owners.

We'd likely just need the truck for no more than an hour to read the ECU data. It won't leave any traces or alter anything in the ECU. We also have a Consult-II is anyone needs us to verify anything, perhaps bump timing.. :)

If anyone's interested and willing, send me a PM or an email to trey (at) cobbtuning.com.

Thanks,
Trey @ COBB

#15 ·
I would be there in no time if I was in that area. I have definitely heard of COBB Tuning. I am assuming you are working on getting the 350Z ECU figured out as well as there are only a few places that currently will flash the ECU.

#16 ·
KingTut - That's right, we've been successful with the 350Z/G35 ECUs and feel we could apply that knowledge to some of the other Nissan ECUs. Since we develop the technology in-house, we're not limited to what some company in Japan or elsewhere provides to us. We're free, if you will, to follow our own leads and interest.

I currently own a 2006 350Z, on top of obviously Subarus (currently our core business), and have been a long-time fan of Nissan products. My first vehicle was a Datsun, and my last personal project car was a '67.5 Datsun Roadster 2000.

If the "big chip/programmer" companies are turning a cold sholder to Nissan trucks, we'd be happy to at least make an attempt. Nissan ECUs are fairly complex compared to some of the domestic ECUs, and I feel with our experience with these units we're in a good place to try and help. Its no guarantee, and we're not selling anything here. I'm simply saying "Bring a truck by and we'll at least have a look". Figure it can't hurt.

Regards,
Trey @ COBB

#17 ·
Yea! I wish I were closer! Do you have a device that can just suck the code out of the ECU and store it? I'd be willing to have it done to my truck if you want to send such a device, or if there is a company you're affiliated with near Indianapolis (afterall Subaru is built not far from here!) and I could take it there and have it done! Is this even an option?

#18 ·
I have not looked at the member map lately but is there anyone out there that lives near Salt Lake City Utah.

Sounds like a great offer

Is anyone going there for vacation soon

Thankyou for the offer Trey

#20 ·
Don't worry about making that far of a drive yet, I may not even be able to read the data out of the ECU! If no one is local to us, then I can probably talk a dealership into letting me borrow a truck for a few hours. Hopefully by the time we need a truck to run and test on the dyno, someone will have come forward in our area to volunteer for some free dyno time. :)

I'll update you all once I've been able to borrow a truck. It may be a week or two, as we're quite busy at the moment.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

#21 ·
I thought of another company and sent them an email with a link to this site. F.A.S.T. (Fuel Air Spark Technology) . The more companies we contact the better in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.