Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
That would make me very nervous.
I don't think I would do that. I will wait and see if someone comes out with an aftermarket reprogrammer.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Years ago when I had my F-150, JET didn't have that great of a reputation because their chips wre only tuned for WOT. After looking at their website, it appears they now tune for the entire rpm range.

I don't know how keen I would be to send off my ECU to have a chip replaced or reprogrammed! I would think this could have serious consquences if it was detectable by the dealership when they hooked the truck up to their diagnostic computer.

I had a Super Chip in my F-150 and would remove it if I brought it in for service because the chip would show an error even though everything worked fine. Even with removing the chip like I did, I heard horror stories of Ford voiding warranties because they discovered the coating on the ECU circuit card had been removed so a chip could be added.

The new programers are better because they leave no tell tale sign. They connect to the OBII port and you can return the truck to the stock program if needed. I fear with having JET(or anyone for that matter) reprogram the ECU is that I would have no way to return it to stock if I needed to! Also, if their program or chip could be seen by the dealership, and they voided the warranty on the ECU, that could lead to some major repair bills later if something were to happen to the ECU.

These chips and reprograms also tend to require the use of Premium Unleaded, 93 octane or better, and with the price of gas right now I cringe every time I fill the tank with Regular!

Now if a reputable dealer, such as SuperChips developed a programmer for our trucks, I would be tempted to consider one!

The new programmers for the domestic trucks can be programmed for a multitude of different variables to improve performance and drivability, even while still using 87 octane. Granted, the biggest gains are with the use of 93+ octane, but it's nice to have the ability to still have a certain amount of control over some aspects of the truck (such as shift points, shift firmness, etc.) while still only paying for regular!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i dont like the whole fact of sending my ecu over to cali. that just makes me worry that sumthing would go wrong. im with kansasfrontier on waiting on the aftermarket reprogrammer. plus i would rather know what is getting done to my truck by doing it myself and can chane it if it dont work right with my cai and tbs i have on already

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Does anyone know if Hypertech or any other companies have plans for Nissan trucks??

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
On my 03 Chevy Trailblazer the Jet Chip I had was more of a module that plugged in between the harness and the ECU. It was easily installed and removed. It did definitly make a difference. Jet sent me a stage 2 by mistake which is for mods (exhaust, CAI etc.) which I didn't have. It did improve the mpg, and the upper RPM cruising. I could coast on the highway at 75 mph at 1600 rpm barely breaking a sweat. It did seem to suffer on the bottom end, like from a dead stop. The other thing was I had to run premium all the time otherwise it ran like crap.(might have been because it was a stage 2) The problem with the Jet chips is that they are "cookie cutter" products, everyone gets the same thing. I also had an ECU upgrade on my 95 Pathfinder from AC but it was a similar cookie cutter thing. You got a modified ECU from them and then sent yours back. If I got a Jet chip for free I might try it again,(it did really work) but I am not sure it is worth the $

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I would rather have a programmer, but it doesn't look like that is coming...:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't understand why you guys would pay to have your prom reprogrammed and then "devalue" the gains by using regular fuel. As it stands right now, the owners manual - for the '06 anyway - recommends premium fuel for optimum performance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yea that is a good question. What would happen if the dealership did plug into your ECU, would it give them some odd readings or what would that do? Thats a good question.

·
Registered
204 Posts
lebushaw said:
I don't understand why you guys would pay to have your prom reprogrammed and then "devalue" the gains by using regular fuel. As it stands right now, the owners manual - for the '06 anyway - recommends premium fuel for optimum performance.
It does say that, but I believe Reverndbiker did back to back dyno comparisons. On one run he ran regular and the other premium and the dyno results should hardly any difference here is the link, check it out.

http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/dyno2.htm

·
Registered
396 Posts
i know we've been over this before, and it's like beating a dead horse, but this still makes me wonder why nissan recommends 91 for "increased performance," and what that even means exactly. talk about ambiguous.

as far as i'm concerned, run the lowest octane you can without getting knock. after running 89 for the first few fillups, i've run 87 since with no knocking whatsoever.

my question about reverendbiker's dyno (and thank you for all of your contributions, btw) is how long does it take the ecu to adapt to changes, anyway? it certainly doesn't adjust instantly, but i'm not sure how long it would take to fully realize any benefit that higher octane fuel may provide. and as far as resetting the ecu, doesn't that just reset it to stock conditions, and it would still then have to adjust to the higher octane fuel again (or intake, exhaust, headers, etc.)?

just curious...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I do believe you're correct. I know when I had the SuperChips Chip in my F-150, they said it took at least two complete tanks of gas before you felt the full effects. Meaning, you noticed the transmission tweaks right away, but the ECU took a while to learn the tuning curve, even with a ECU reset after installation of the chip. I would suspect the same is true for the stock ECU.

06FrontierLE said:
Yea that is a good question. What would happen if the dealership did plug into your ECU, would it give them some odd readings or what would that do? Thats a good question.
Being as you're reprogramming the stock ECU, I doubt it would show any odd codes. The Super Chip I had on my F-150 showed a code for a bad ECU because the chip actually took control from the stock PROM.

The fear I would have with sending off my stock ECU for a reprogram would be if I had it in for service and NIssan released an update for the stock ECU and reflashed my custom tune! That would be a bunch of bucks down the drain!

·
Registered
252 Posts
sdfronty said:
as far as i'm concerned, run the lowest octane you can without getting knock. after running 89 for the first few fillups, i've run 87 since with no knocking whatsoever.
Of course you won't get any knock - the onboard computer simply retards the timing to prevent that knock as on all modern vehicles! I will continue to burn premium - it's a cheap way to get all the performance that the Frontier was designed to produce. As far as dynos go - I had a Toyota Supra on a dyno 3 times in the same day and got 3 different readings all 5% apart!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
i wouldn't let JET tune my lawnmower. if you want nissan performance
the peeps to call are technosquare or JWT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts