Nissan Frontier Forum banner

601 - 620 of 620 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
It’s been easy to stay dedicated since I really like the truck. ;)

The heim joints on my PRG UCAs are already making noise, only a year after they were rebuilt. I’m considering replacing the arms with SPCs.
I can agree with the first statement! Next year will be 10 years in a Frontier for me (granted two different ones...).

Jen, if you do stick with the PRGs, might want to give some of these a try before you throw in the towel. Some of my prerunner Bros run them and say they do help with rod end life.
https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories/rod-end-dust-boots.html

As for the unibals.... I have yet to find anything to cover them up...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Been following you since day one, get great ideas and best of all see it done. found another by accident today, "Graidian's Professor X Build". I was at Dealership getting AirBag Recall Comp update done, fellow comes up and asks me about Bumpers and Slide Bars. Well I showed him my "Interior Mods, then we went to the Computer Room and I started going through all the Sites starting with this one. So a fellow from Tucson recently joined I'm sure, He was looking at the Shrockworks Group buy when I left him, lol

·
Registered
919 Posts
It’s been easy to stay dedicated since I really like the truck. ;)

No major updates. A couple minor things...I recently replaced the LCAs because the bushings were bad. I let it go long enough to get some abnormal tire wear, so my KO2s will need to be replaced prematurely. I will be purchasing another set of KO2s...they truly are fantastic tires.

The heim joints on my PRG UCAs are already making noise, only a year after they were rebuilt. I’m considering replacing the arms with SPCs.

Other than that...I’m just getting out on the trail as much as I can. :)
I've had the SPCs (original style ball joints without the zerk fittings) for three and a half years. I've only had to take them off the truck a couple times to add grease to the bushings so they dont squeak. It's mostly a daily driver and dont get to see the trail nearly as much as you so you may have to apply grease more frequently.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
... The heim joints on my PRG UCAs are already making noise, only a year after they were rebuilt. I’m considering replacing the arms with SPCs.
I've been running my SPCs for past 2 yrs (and a set of MK84 coilovers) up here in New England, running yr round DD & on the trail.

No real complaints about them. The balljoints have no slop at all. I grease them 2-3 times a yr. There is some surface rust where teh arms are constantly blasted with sand, salt and mud. Only real issue I've had with them is I didn't clearance the coilbucket enough when I first installed them so the rubber boot is wore & needs be replaced soon (found it during my pre-winter annual inspect). Also to get full camber adjust you have to do a deep trim of the bucket... I just adjust teh LCA bolts for max tire space (the Brutal setting) and then have the alignment shop set the SPC for as-near to 0 camber with all the caster it'll suffer.

If I were TS I'd run the SPC titan arms and wouldn't have ANY of the current problems (except for the sand-blasting... but thats an easy fix)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I can agree with the first statement! Next year will be 10 years in a Frontier for me (granted two different ones...).

Jen, if you do stick with the PRGs, might want to give some of these a try before you throw in the towel. Some of my prerunner Bros run them and say they do help with rod end life.
https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories/rod-end-dust-boots.html

As for the unibals.... I have yet to find anything to cover them up...
I bought some silicon dust boots too cover the uni balls. The lowers work pretty good. The uppers not so much

Then I came across this ol boys thread. My version 1 was quick and sloppy and did not last. Have not had time to mess with it again. I have the parts jsut need to find the time.

https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/uca-dust-covers-under-15-a-204465/

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #608 (Edited)
The UCAs (or what I assumed were the UCAs) have actually quieted down since I posted that they were making noise. I am assuming dirt was the culprit.

Small update since the thread got bumped. My truck hit 100K in June and is still running strong. I finally replaced the worn KO2s in December. I also installed a new Odyssey battery around the same time. The old battery still seemed fine but it was 5 years old and I wheel alone.

That’s all I’ve got. I still don’t have any more plans for this truck other than to enjoy it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The old battery still seemed fine but it was 5 years old and I wheel alone.
I took my completely stock new SV up in to the woods for the first time last month by myself, and it occurred to me as I was driving through water and mud of unknown depth covered in a layer of ice with stock tires, no cell phone reception, and no recovery gear that maybe I wasn't making the smartest choices at the moment. ::grin::

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #610 (Edited)
I took my completely stock new SV up in to the woods for the first time last month by myself, and it occurred to me as I was driving through water and mud of unknown depth covered in a layer of ice with stock tires, no cell phone reception, and no recovery gear that maybe I wasn't making the smartest choices at the moment. ::grin::
If you start making a habit of that...

I do carry a device that will jump start a vehicle without the need for another car (although I couldn’t tell you where in the truck it’s located and have yet to test it). Doesn’t mean I want to deal with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere if I don’t have to.

I also carry a SPOT device that lets anyone with the web site link to track my location and allows me to text for help when there is no cell reception.

Just a couple things to consider.

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
If you start making a habit of that...

I do carry a device that will jump start a vehicle without the need for another car (although I couldn’t tell you where in the truck it’s located and have yet to test it). Doesn’t mean I want to deal with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere if I don’t have to.

I also carry a SPOT device that lets anyone with the web site link to track my location and allows me to text for help when there is no cell reception.

Just a couple things to consider.
over the years ive been slowly gathering stuff for wheeling alone, ive come to find out thats what i do 99.9% of the time.
i just ordered a manual 4 ton come along, i have a battery jumper as well as food water blankets ect. a spare cell phone, 2 maxtracks. the list goes on.

when you are alone its never a bad time until you are completely stuck hours away from home.
i love my maxtracks, i cant wait to add the manual winch to the team.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #612 (Edited)
over the years ive been slowly gathering stuff for wheeling alone, ive come to find out thats what i do 99.9% of the time.

i just ordered a manual 4 ton come along, i have a battery jumper as well as food water blankets ect. a spare cell phone, 2 maxtracks. the list goes on.

when you are alone its never a bad time until you are completely stuck hours away from home.

i love my maxtracks, i cant wait to add the manual winch to the team.
I actually carry a ridiculous amount of stuff including Maxtrax, a Pull Pal, a Hi Lift, shovel, spare parts, tools, fluids, a Haynes manual, extra food and water, etc. It’s all stuff I hope I’ll never have to use. I’d like to say I always make smart decisions when I’m out alone but I’d be lying. And sometimes trail conditions change quickly. I’ve been lucky enough to dodge a few bullets. I’ve only been stuck by myself on one occasion *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For wheeling alone, a winch and all the assorted recovery accessories for it are mandatory for me.

When I had my old CJ7 with lift, lockers, aggressive tires, etc, I found that when I did get stuck I was really stuck.

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
ive had a couple winches in the past and i ended up just waiting to get the setup i really want.

7-8 years ago i would have had to spend 1200 to get my wishlist winch setup. now its around 500$ completely optioned out. its crazy how fast offroad products have advanced over the last decade alone.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Turne, where did you head out to? Been searching for wheelin places around MD myself, and it always helps to have a friendly face ( and 4 extra wheels with tools and a snatch strap ) along to keep company. I'm down for it. Won't be able to wheel again in Maine til May.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
For wheeling alone, a winch and all the assorted recovery accessories for it are mandatory for me.

I suppose this depends on the terrain where you typically wheel. I live in the desert so a winch is of limited usefulness without a Pull Pal.

The one time I was stuck alone, a shovel and a way to air down tires proved most useful. We (my husband was with me) also used rocks and pieces of wood to create traction so I think the Maxtrax would have been useful had I had them at the time.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Turne, where did you head out to? Been searching for wheelin places around MD myself, and it always helps to have a friendly face ( and 4 extra wheels with tools and a snatch strap ) along to keep company. I'm down for it. Won't be able to wheel again in Maine til May.
I was up on the forest service roads at the Green Ridge State Forest scoping out camp sites to maybe do some camping later this year. I only explored one part of the forest, and it's pretty mild wheeling (dirt roads) except for a couple of spots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To the OP... thank you for this wonderful read. It was wonderful reading about all your adventures and modifications. Thank you for all the information!

You have really helped me better understand what I want to do to my truck (and what I don’t want to do). In my opinion it’s just as important to know what you “don’t” want...

*Look for a PM from me, I have a question for you.

James

601 - 620 of 620 Posts
About this Discussion
619 Replies
136 Participants
Thedeatons
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing