Nissan Frontier Forum banner
301 - 320 of 646 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
I learned my lesson about preventing avoidable damage by being willing to cut up my truck. The tailpipe on my truck was already a little banged and scratched up, but it was risk of becoming a lot banged and scratched up (or worse). So this afternoon I chopped a couple feet off the end of the exhaust, right behind the rearmost hanger. Hopefully doing this will save me from some more grief in the future. I've got more than enough "trail cred" at this point. :)

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 · (Edited)
Still loving the new setup, both on and off road.

In the past month, I've driven the truck to my parents' house (about 250 miles round trip, mostly highway, big elevation changes) on two occasions. Previously I would average around 17.5-18 mpg on this drive. On my first trip there with the 4.56's I got 17 mpg. The second time, I took a slightly different route with a lower average speed - and the truck was also in 4WD for about 15-20 miles due to a snowstorm - and that time I got 17.5 mpg. Although slightly worse than what I was getting before, it is still acceptable gas mileage to me. The best part is I was able to stay in 6th gear almost the entire way (except for a couple of times that I got slowed down to 40 or 50 on a big hill due to a slow moving semi). Previously, I would have spent a lot of time alternating between 5th and 6th.

Yesterday I played around on some familiar (and unfamiliar) trails. One of these was Dogskin Mountain, which I had previously only done with an auto locker. I was feeling a bit cocky with the 4.56's and tried to do several big hill climbs in 4HI. The first time I experienced some epic wheel spin near the top of one of the hills reinforced the fact that open diffs are just not the same as having at least one axle locked.

Near the end of the run, I decided to try taking a slightly different route to the bottom - and ended up in a narrow little creek bed. This gave me another opportunity to really try out the new setup. At one spot, I ended up with front left and right rear tires up on big rocks, left rear tire airborne, and front right tire just barely touching the ground. I tried going forward and got nothing but spinning tires. I backed off and adjusted my line a couple of times, but no dice. Flipped both lockers on, gently pressed the gas pedal, and crawled right over the rocks like they weren't even there.

This locker thing is nothing new to me since I spent several years with a Spartan. It's just really cool to me to see the back-to-back difference between open/open and locked/locked. I probably could have gotten through the obstacle with no lockers, but I would have had to use a lot more gas and a lot more clutch, and consequently been at a much higher risk of breaking something mechanical or sliding into a giant rock and adding another beauty mark or at the very least just worn my clutch out faster.

Absolutely zero regrets going with the 4.56's. The road manners have exceeded my expectations, and I'm really glad I didn't listen to the people who told me that 4.10's would be "better." I like the way the gearing feels so much that I'd be afraid upgrading to 35" tires would ruin the experience for me.

Last major upgrade I have planned is rear suspension...and at that point, I think this truck will be pretty much just how I want it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree, nice low gears make a 4x4 feel 'light'. I knew you would like 4.56's.
You now drive in the 'torque band' on the highway instead of below it. Easy peasy.
Another reason for lockers is to 'tread lightly'.
It cracks me up the people that drive till they are stuck in 2wd, then switch to 4x4, have dug holes, messed up the trails etc. With lockers you can walk right through with minimal thrash on your vehicle and minimal trail damage.
Its clean four wheeling.
Your truck is at a new level of trail ability! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Another reason for lockers is to 'tread lightly'.
It cracks me up the people that drive till they are stuck in 2wd, then switch to 4x4, have dug holes, messed up the trails etc. With lockers you can walk right through with minimal thrash on your vehicle and minimal trail damage.
Its clean four wheeling.
Absolutely. I have noticed people doing the same thing, and I don't get it. Much better to keep the trail in good condition for others who use it after you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I totally agree. Hate when I see people do that, they're just ruining it for the rest of us. Too many people just want to go out and "tear it up" instead of driving with some technique and skill.

Lockers make all the difference. Even my little factory e-locker lets me walk right over most open-diff trucks struggle with. It's nice to be able to handle things gently and well-controlled.

Truck is looking great Jen! Glad to hear it's all working out nicely.

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
A couple vids from a recent run through the optional exit trench on Eldorado Canyon. This was my first trip through the trench. Two lockers are awesome - you can really see them working in these vids.

First vid has a *slight rude hand gesture warning* (that's a BAD moderator!). Second vid provides a really cool perspective on the lockers in action.

More pics in the trip report here: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/eldorado-canyon-pics-4-18-15-a-190026/

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 · (Edited)
Sounds like you have some serious fender trimming to do.

Surprised it took a full 12 hours for that to come up. ;)

I've snagged the fenders on a few occasions, but these rear-tire-off-the-ground scenarios are so few and far between that it hadn't been much of a problem until this trail run. My driver side tire did reshape the fender a hair in that trench. I'm not sure about "serious." It sounds worse than it looks.

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
Here are some pics from my week at goneMOAB. I'll post a couple vids as soon as I can get my hands on them.

The trails I ran during the week:

Monday's run was Top of the World. It's not an overly technical trail and only has one real obstacle to speak of. The main attraction is obviously the view from the top.

Coming back down.

Tuesday was Hell's Revenge. This trail has large sections of slickrock to drive over and numerous areas with steep drop offs on either side of your rig.

One of the notable obstacles on Hell's Revenge is an optional one called Hell's Gate. This obstacle requires precise tire placement and is a common site for rollovers. With some excellent spotting by jcbaert, I made it up smoothly and safely.

Descending:

Climbing:

On Wednesday, I did Flat Iron Mesa. This was a very fun trail.

This obstacle is called the Tilt-A-Whirl. It is a very off camber downhill section with a sharp 90 degree turn. If you've seen the pics of crewmaxxis's near flop, this is the same obstacle.

Steel Bender was on Thursday. Another really fun trail. This one has a lot of big ledges to drop off of, including the famous one you see in a lot of Moab pics and vids where your rig is basically free falling for a couple of feet.

My only carnage this week was a bent license plate. This didn't happen on the big drop - it occurred on a different obstacle on Steel Bender that I had attempted earlier in the day.

And finally, Metal Masher to wrap up the week. Not many pics of my own truck from this one.

It's a long way down from the overlook at the top. The gravel parking lot near the middle of the pic is where we started.

I'll post vids from Hell's Gate and the drop on Steel Bender at a later time.

·
Premium Member
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
I have a couple little projects coming up here shortly...

I picked up a set of gently used PRG Deaver race springs on my recent trip to Vegas. I'll be combining them with lift shackles. Also planning on bringing up the front suspension just a hair. The end result will be somewhere around 4"F/3.5"R. I have a U bolt flip kit on the way, and I just so happen to already have lift shackles, longer rear shocks, and stainless steel brake lines sitting in my garage.

The next thing I'll tackle will be my bed storage situation. My truck has a drop in bed liner and no Utilitrack. My roll up tonneau cover has been letting water into the bed since it was damaged in a windstorm in the Mojave Desert last year. Revamping the bed has been on my to do list for a while, but now I have an incentive to do it...when I was at goneMOAB, I won an ARB fridge freezer from Boulder Nissan in the raffle. For reasons I won't bother explaining until someone says "You should mount that in the back seat" or "You should just buy a truck cap," I'll just state that I do not want to mount this thing in the back seat area or get a truck cap. But the fridge is just a little too tall to work with my current low profile tonneau. I've been doing a little research and am strongly leaning toward something like an A.R.E. 3DL. It has a few inches of extra height along with side doors to allow for easier access to the bed. I'm also going to have the bed Line-X'ed and install some sort of aftermarket track system. There's a good possibility I will have to put the spare tire back under the bed, which isn't ideal...but since I'm running 33" tires, it's an option at least.

Once those two projects are complete, the next thing on my list will be visiting a fab shop to determine whether beefing up the frame mounts on my existing Calmini bumper and adding some quarter panel protection is a reasonable alternative to having a brand new bumper built from scratch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm also going to have the bed Line-X'ed and install some sort of aftermarket track system.
Check into aluminum unistrut Comes in shallow, normal and deep channels. That's all the Nissan system is. They just grind out the stop points which isn't really necessary if you make your tie downs and other track parts using unistrut nuts.

There's a good possibility I will have to put the spare tire back under the bed, which isn't ideal...but since I'm running 33" tires, it's an option at least.
You can use this old trick to check and see if you lose any clearance angle by doing so. Get a board and make 2 checks with the tire mounted under the bed. Put the board against the bottom of the tire and the bottom of your bumper. If none of the tire protrudes below, your exit angle on steep slopes is the same. Then put it from the middle of the tire to the bottom of the bumper. If the tire doesn't protrude you're good for dropping off most rock ledges w/o bouncing on the sidewall. If it protrudes build a skid plate for the tire to protect the side wall.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thats a good list of things to do jenn. Cant wait to see how it all turns out. My old room mate had installed an after market utili-trac system in his colorado and it worked pretty well, with quick release mounts. Do you want me to see which one it was?

301 - 320 of 646 Posts