Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
man, i dont even know what to do here. i feel so bad for whatever is going on or why you need to jack your truck up with that horrible hunk of metal.
i bet your spare tire jack would do better lol.

hit up harbor freight and nab a 3ton low profile for around 150 or less than 100$ on a good day with a coupon.
they also have decent jack stands for like 15-20$ each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please fill me in on what is so bad about this jack as I really don't know what is wrong with it, which is why I am asking? Is it not rated to enough weight to support lifting it safely? Does it not go high enough to lift it off of the ground? Or just not very well built? What do I need to look for when selecting a jack and jack stand set? I always thought of Harbor Freight as being very low quality stuff. Is that not the case?

Also, I am wanting to spend as little as possible to safely jack up my truck. I have way better things to spend my money on than a jack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you're talking about safety, a Jack and then spending money... There is no price on safety. The reviews alone on that Jack would be enough to turn me away. I'm with Andy.. I'd spend a hundred at Harbor Frieght. Andy also knows a lot about maintenance etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
$50 for a jack and a pair of stands is too cheap. Considering decent jack stands are about $50/pair, I seriously question the quality of a floor jack and jack stands combined for the same price. And as someone above said, did you even bother reading the reviews? They can be useful.

Floor jacks are simple things but you don't want to go cheap here. It's not a simple screwdriver - it's an important device that will be the difference between years of trouble-free garage use vs. you know - a truck crushing you to death.

Think about it. Be safe.

Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
36 Posts
As others have said, go to Harbor Freight and get a set of Jack Stands and a floor jack from them.

Their 3 ton jack stands are fine, but if you want to go a little overkill, grab a pair of the 6 ton.

Grab an aluminum floor jack while you're at it. 2 ton would be enough.

That would be a much better setup than the Wallyworld hardware.

Or go all out and get a set of Quick Jacks.. I bought a set for working on my P-car.. sooooo nice...

https://www.quickjack.com/

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
As others have said, go to Harbor Freight and get a set of Jack Stands and a floor jack from them.

Their 3 ton jack stands are fine, but if you want to go a little overkill, grab a pair of the 6 ton.

Grab an aluminum floor jack while you're at it. 2 ton would be enough.

That would be a much better setup than the Wallyworld hardware.

Or go all out and get a set of Quick Jacks.. I bought a set for working on my P-car.. sooooo nice...

https://www.quickjack.com/
I like those

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Just want to add because of the last post above, here's a few more things to consider:

Our Frontiers weigh on average about 2-tons (3,700-4,700-lbs.), so keep in mind the next two notes, below...

RE: JACK STANDS: jack stands are generally sold in pairs, and the box rating is also usually a combined value - meaning a jack stand pair rated at "3-tons" means each jack stand can handle only 1.5-tons (unless it specifically says otherwise).

For our Frontiers, 3-ton jack stand pairs are good enough for most jobs since normally it's one jack stand per corner.

RE: FLOOR JACKS: Just because our trucks don't weigh more than 3 tons, that doesn't mean a 6-ton floor jack is overkill. Some people are fine with a 2-ton jack, since in most cases you're only lifting up half of the truck anyways.

Personally I'd recommend at least a 4-ton floor jack. IMO it's a better choice, because when lifting the same weight a 4-ton floor jack will only be at 50% capacity...whereas a 2-ton jack will always be closer to 100% capacity. Yes, a 4-ton will cost more, but again - I prefer not to skimp when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did you really just ask about something from WAL-MART. And then claim harbor freight has terrible quality. Your *** backwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess I should have worded my question different as I really wasn't looking for everyone's favorite jack. How tall does a jack need to go to lift up my truck to change tires and change the brakes? Will a jack that extends to 13.75" be tall enough to lift my truck?

Also, only dipshits and a$$holes buy things from Harbor Freight!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Also said:
Funny arguing about who makes better tools, Walmart or Harbor Freight! They both are made in China and both are junk!
Wow, why the name calling?
Seems to me you wanted to know whether that jack was any good. You got your answer.
This is just a simple scissor jack that I keep in the truck but it is a whole lot better than the one you are asking about. Not even close! This one came off a H1 Hummer. The impact I use to operate it would out last 10 Harbor Frieight ones. Probably 20 from Walmart.
Maybe it is because of what I did as my occupation. I use only quality tools. Measuring instruments is what I used everyday for over 35 years, still use them.. People think Starrett measuring tools are great. They don't come close to the Swiss.
I got a feeling we won't be seeing you for awhile.
Just so happened to have a Snap On ,3/8 drive, flex head ratchet sitting on my nightstand. Look up what it cost. I don't buy junk!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
When I first got my Frontier I had a similar 2.5 ton jack. While it did lift the truck, it was a struggle and the jack quickly died after only a couple of uses. It worked for years reliably on small cars and compact trucks, but, the Frontier is heavy enough to cause issue.

I spent about $100 on a 3.5 ton jack and have no complaints. Value isn't always how much you don't spend, it's what you get for what you spend.

·
Admin
3,285 Posts
This is a general reminder to please refrain from name calling or any personal attacks during posts on this website.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
i may have missed something. maybe i have ascended lol....

im probably not the best test subject, but i have been buying certain tools from HF for almost 10 years now and i have never been let down. sure the prices are cheap, but as long as you know as a mechanic what you are doing and how you are doing what you are doing, then you will likely be ok. i dont care if you hate the freight, more tools for me.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I must admit,I purchase lesser tools. I bought a set of 5c hardinge collets(Chinese clones), fractional increments from 1/8-1". Less than $200. A set from hardinge,1/8-.750.,over $1500.
When I retired, frankly I was burnt out.
Dealing with the pressure of the job everyday I once enjoyed became a pain(TRW Space Systems was bought by Northrop Grumman.A huge bureaucracy). I gave most all my tools (related to machining)to my apprentices and co-workers.
Well, a few later I got bored and decided to build a Frontier. I been trying to replace what I once had had. Prices are sky high for quality tools.
Some tools just feel better in the hand.
Hold a Snap On ratchet compared to a Craftsman or a cheap dial caliper to a Browne and Sharpe or a Tesa.
I guess I am tool snob.
I did buy some furniture dollys from Harbor Freight and an exhaust pipe expander . Dollys worked fine, expander use once and throw away.
Here is my jack.

Attachments

Reactions: Drumminchick

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Sometimes you need two or three jacks, especially if you work by yourself and getting old.Example, lifting the lower control arm to attach uniball to upper, installing a 55 gal. fuel steel tank in my Dodge. Bought a Craftsman jack and it failed miserably. Could not even find parts for it.Sear's return policy? Why do I want another pos.
I guess I should take better care of my jack. Never had to, just took it for granted it would out last me.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Even consumables, buy quality and not that junk they sale at Autozone,Pep Boys, etc.
I only use 3m, sandpaper, masking tape,Norton , 3m, Dewalt,Roloc abrasive wheels and disc. You are way better off

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Also, only dipshits and a$$holes buy things from Harbor Freight!
As opposed to the guy who can't take a tape measure to see how high their floor jack has to go? ::wink::

When I first got my Frontier I had a similar 2.5 ton jack. While it did lift the truck, it was a struggle and the jack quickly died after only a couple of uses. It worked for years reliably on small cars and compact trucks, but, the Frontier is heavy enough to cause issue.

I spent about $100 on a 3.5 ton jack and have no complaints. Value isn't always how much you don't spend, it's what you get for what you spend.
I think the above is a good example of what I was explaining earlier ::smile::

As for Harbor Freight... some people swear by them, which is fine - but I am in an industry where I know exactly where Harbor Freight and TSC and Autozone and Pep Boys get their tools and equipment... kind of obvious, but some people will still be surprised.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts