Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, how can I go about adding a jack for my phone/Ipod to my factory nismo head unit? Pandora is my new best friend but Im not paying for a new head unit.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
theres a thread on here on how to solder one on. Its in the audio section

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Nismo makes a head unit?

I thought it was either oem or RF?
same thing. he meant his factory nismo trim level. he could have just a stock unit or rf.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Okay, lets stop playing dumb and get the the real point.

Since you say Nismo, we should assume you have an 05-08 since the Pro4x was introduced in 09. We should also recognize that you either have the RF or non-RF. You have stated that you have the non-RF so that leaves us with another option, is it a single disk or 6disk set-up? That is something that we don't know so there is no more help till we know more info.

Other side info would be if you are a KC or CC. It doesn't really matter but it may help others feel comfortable with their thoughts/advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought about this too as well as maybe upgrading the speakers. I'm not a big DIY'er on auto electronics. Is ths something Best Buy wil handle?
I have an 06 CC SE 4x4 with a single disc, stock system. Sound quality is not the best.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Cheapest, most simple solution, is to just pick up an adapter. I paid 29$ at rite-aid for an USB MP3 adapter/charger...possibly the best 30$ I ever spent. I use my phone for my primary GPS and Pandora for my stereo; so it's nice to be able to keep the phone charged on longer trips.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cheapest, most simple solution, is to just pick up an adapter. I paid 29$ at rite-aid for an USB MP3 adapter/charger...possibly the best 30$ I ever spent. I use my phone for my primary GPS and Pandora for my stereo; so it's nice to be able to keep the phone charged on longer trips.

And how did that mount up to your factory deck for playing mp3?

There's no aux option on factory decks, how does the stero recognise the "ipod" or whatever?

·
Registered
854 Posts
It uses a wireless signal; you tune your stereo to a preset channel.
Well thats just freaking sweet, hows the sound quality? Is it like radio or ??

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
hey chainsaw if you dont have the sat radio jack or whatever i got my factory rf you can swap out.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I put a Pioneer 310BT in my 1st gen, wanted the bluetooth and Nav. It is an older model so you can pick them up for 300-350, maybe even less now. 8 buck for the stereo adaptor kit and I was in business. I did not buy the steering wheel controller because I never use it.

I did end up buying speakers because I had a blown one. Put Polk componants in the front door and Polk co-axial in the back door.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Since you say Nismo, we should assume you have an 05-08 since the Pro4x was introduced in 09. We should also recognize that you either have the RF or non-RF. You have stated that you have the non-RF so that leaves us with another option, is it a single disk or 6disk set-up? That is something that we don't know so there is no more help till we know more info.

Other side info would be if you are a KC or CC. It doesn't really matter but it may help others feel comfortable with their thoughts/advice.
Its a Nismo, 06, 4x4, KC, 6 disc, silver in color with grey interior and cruise control.

hey chainsaw if you dont have the sat radio jack or whatever i got my factory rf you can swap out.
Well thats afully nice of you dude, you 'll have to let me buy ya a beer or two. BTW, wheeling Oct 16th and 17th if you can make it. Check the board.

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Well thats just freaking sweet, hows the sound quality? Is it like radio or ??
I have one of the plug in lighter style adapters in my gen 2 X. it works pretty good. Just have to find a channel that works well where your at.
I used to have this in my Gen 1 frontier with a pioneer stereo, it sucked there. I ended up getting an Isimple universal system for my truck. you supply power to it and the box plugs inline with the antenna. When switched on, it grounds the antenna signal and feeds from the ipod. You still have to tune your radio to a selected channel, but it works much better instead of trying to over power a radio station.

Another thing to consider, If you have an actual Ipod (not any generic mp3 player), if you use the headphone output, you have control over the volume from the ipod, but the ipod will overpower the transmitter and cause sever distortion. I find there is a fine line between loud enough to hear without turning the stereo all the way up and too loud and causing distortion. it also varies with your music. some of mine is worse than others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts