Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing recently, where the PCV hose connects to the air intake, there was a little bit of oil.

This a common issue, or does anyone know why a little bit of oil might leak out there? I didn't observe any cracks in anything. Suppose that there could be a pin hole maybe.

2014, 2.5, somewhere around 17,500 miles.

Anyway... here is a picture, you can't tell a lot about it now, I had already wiped up what was there when I took the picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
My best guess:
Ventilation of the crankcase yields different gases from all the internal engine/combustion activity, especially blowby from past the rings as well as some potential condensation. Some folks have installed an oil catch can which actually bottles what is ventilated. Try a search for Oil Catch Can. Pretty cool mod that I keep forgetting about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I was questioning is why oil would leak out there. I thought that the hose was always under vacuum. If that was so, things wouldn't leak out, they get sucked in.

Does the PCV switch from negative pressure to positive pressure at higher rpm's. That would explain how some oil might get pushed out.

I'll probably just wind up switching the spring clamp out for a screw clamp and hope it holds a little more pressure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was noticing recently, where the PCV hose connects to the air intake, there was a little bit of oil.

This a common issue, or does anyone know why a little bit of oil might leak out there? I didn't observe any cracks in anything. Suppose that there could be a pin hole maybe.

2014, 2.5, somewhere around 17,500 miles.

Anyway... here is a picture, you can't tell a lot about it now, I had already wiped up what was there when I took the picture.
I am glad to see another S Fronty here on this forum.::grin::::grin::::grin:: Is the clamp to the hose tied right and tight? ::wink::

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad to see another S Fronty here on this forum.::grin::::grin::::grin:: Is the clamp to the hose tied right and tight? ::wink::
There are a few of us around, guess us S owners aren't a very chatty bunch.

The spring clamp on the hose seems ok, but i'll probably wind up switching for a screw clamp to see if that keeps it from leaking anymore.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are a few of us around, guess us S owners aren't a very chatty bunch.
I think that most S owners are shy to acknowledge that they own an S Fronty to others just because of the fact that they most likely will get laughed at for being "old school" in the 21st century.

The spring clamp on the hose seems ok, but i'll probably wind up switching for a screw clamp to see if that keeps it from leaking anymore.
I personally use screw clamps for everything that needs to be secured tightly! It is the best tool to use to hold things together. ::smile:: If you get the galvanized ones, you never have to worry about rusting or seizing. I have a gut feeling that your oil leak it due to that non screw clamp. ::grin::

Best of luck and may the force of the S trim people be with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts