Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a New 2016 Frontier SV and there are a couple of things that I feel that Nissan just fell short on.

1. There are no Daytime Running Lights. - Does anyone know a way to make either the fog lights or parking lights into DRL? I want either of these lights to remain on while the vehicle ignition key is in the "ON" position.

2. Automatic Headlights - Although my truck came with heated seats, backup camera, etc., there is no Automatic Headlights. I see the sensor on the dashboard, but on the headlight stalk, there is no "Auto" position. Can this be added?

3. Nissan Connect Sucks!! - Beside the obvious lack of apps, there is a big safety hazard that I cannot believe Nissan has not addressed. When you make a Hands Free Call and there are multiple phone numbers for the contact (Home/Cell), instead of asking you "Call Bob on Cell or Home", it asks you if (XXX)-XXX-XXXX number is correct. I have no freaking idea!!!! Now I have to grab my phone, look thru the contacts, search for the name, and see which phone number is "Bob's" home or cell. This defeats the entire purpose of "Hands Free" dialing! Someone tell me that Nissan isn't that stupid. Every other car manufacture's bluetooth asks you if you want to call Home or Cell/Mobile. :frown:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think it's pretty lame that there is no homelink mirror, after all it is 2017, just got a mirror to replace the stock, but it should've come with it!!
And, I don't like that I can't drive with both feet, the computer tells the engine the brake is being used, so it jerks terribly. I know when I install UpRev I can remove that, but UpRev doesn't have a ROM for my Pro4 til this summer.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
These trucks were originally designed over a decade ago, any "current" tech in the later models are just add-ons

Reactions: Gunmetal_Pro4x

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine has the DRL option but yea it's lazy that Nissan Connect does not offer Android app compatibility for the Frontier too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3. Nissan Connect Sucks!! - Beside the obvious lack of apps, there is a big safety hazard that I cannot believe Nissan has not addressed. When you make a Hands Free Call and there are multiple phone numbers for the contact (Home/Cell), instead of asking you "Call Bob on Cell or Home", it asks you if (XXX)-XXX-XXXX number is correct. I have no freaking idea!!!! Now I have to grab my phone, look thru the contacts, search for the name, and see which phone number is "Bob's" home or cell. This defeats the entire purpose of "Hands Free" dialing! Someone tell me that Nissan isn't that stupid. Every other car manufacture's bluetooth asks you if you want to call Home or Cell/Mobile. :frown:
I've just had my 2017 for a couple of weeks. I totally agree on this one. My 2011 Infiniti G37 was better in this regard. Anyway, I did figure out a workaround. I use the Siri feature and just tell it (her) to call "Bobs mobile". Less steps and straight the number you want to call - works great. Hope you have an iphone.

·
Registered
560 Posts
- I just turn on my headlights when traveling, especially in traffic.
- My Pro4x has an auto setting for headlights. Don't use it
- Nissan Connect linked to my old flip phone. I don't have a smart phone and don't make calls while driving. I do like the hands free to answer the phone when I get a call.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nissan also has the auto off for the headlights. If you leave your lights on, they will automatically turn off in about 5 mins. When you restart your truck the lights will come back on. Not the perfect situation, but it would work.

I personally feel if your going to complane about not being able to use your phone while driving or that your lights aren't automatic, stay home!

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
1. There are no Daytime Running Lights. - Does anyone know a way to make either the fog lights or parking lights into DRL? I want either of these lights to remain on while the vehicle ignition key is in the "ON" position.
Turn the light stalk one click, parking lights remain on while the key is in on.

Mine has the DRL option but yea it's lazy that Nissan Connect does not offer Android app compatibility for the Frontier too.
I feel bad for anyone who actually paid extra for Nissan Connect

I personally feel if your going to complane about not being able to use your phone while driving or that your lights aren't automatic, stay home!
LOL perfect ::laugh::

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 2014 Pro-4x has auto headlights, so I assume this could be added. I had the dealer swap out my rear-view mirror with one with HomeLink, outside temperature and compass.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Recently looked at installing a homelink mirror, $400 installed from a local shop. Since mine sits out it's not a requirement. I do agree, Nissanconnect sucks, I make a lot of calls from my phone on the road and it can be a hassle if it's not the correct number. But, one thing I found, if there are more than one number, and this is a PITA, create a separate listing for each number. One of my friends has 3 numbers, I have each one separate name-home, name-cell, name-work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I turned my fogs into DRL's using two add-a-circuit adapters. Haven't had time to write up the details yet but it's very easy to do and they work great.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I turned my fogs into DRL's using two add-a-circuit adapters. Haven't had time to write up the details yet but it's very easy to do and they work great.
Super intrigued about this. Been looking for a DRL option ever since I installed my touchscreen stereo. Super annoying screen brightness wise when I have my headlights on all the time during the day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The short version is you take power from F22 and transfer it to the load side of F10 using two connected Add-aCircuit adapters with fuses. F22 (spare) only has one lug that is functional and it is tied to the key switch. F22 requires two fuses and F10 requires one in the top position. Orientation on F10 must be as shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just bought a New 2016 Frontier SV and there are a couple of things that I feel that Nissan just fell short on.

2. Automatic Headlights - Although my truck came with heated seats, backup camera, etc., there is no Automatic Headlights. I see the sensor on the dashboard, but on the headlight stalk, there is no "Auto" position. Can this be added?

1. Just turn your headlamps on if that's a big deal to you - did you not test drive it?
2. It does - read your manual and turn the switch to "auto"... Turns them off in about a min however I can turn it off in less time.
3. Total agree - however I don't need it. I don't know what kind of phone you have, but with my iPhone I use the Siri connection set on "short press". All I have to say is call "bob" and it works fine - I never have to speak the xxxx's unless I call a number outside my phone book. They could use to update the Nissan connect app for sure - but for me I weighed out all the positives and they were more than that for me. If you want a real "techie" truck then you should have done your research better if those were real issues for you.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
The short version is you take power from F22 and transfer it to the load side of F10 using two connected Add-aCircuit adapters with fuses. F22 (spare) only has one lug that is functional and it is tied to the key switch. F22 requires two fuses and F10 requires one in the top position. Orientation on F10 must be as shown.
Before anyone might think this is a way to get their fog lamp operation separate from the headlamps, just to be clear, I have a question: so your fogs go on and stay on as long as the key is in ACC/ON, and you can't turn them off with the fog lamp switch, correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This option runs switched power directly to the fog lights. My truck did not have fogs and since I was more interested in DRL's, this was the perfect solution for me. If you want more flexibility, you could install a switch, or switch and relay, for control of the DRL's or fogs. The factory fog light switch isn't functional with this modification and cant easily be made to work due to the way the lights are programmed.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a 2014 Frontier and my girlfriend has a 2009 Pontiac Torrent. Her car has features you can't even get on the 2017 fronty, for crying out loud!

I do agree that Nissan dropped the ball big time with their tech offerings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an FYI, all new vehicles sold in Canada have daytime running lights (my truck has an 'auto' setting as well), all the Frontiers sold in Canada are made in the USA so you'd think this would be an available option through a dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Just an FYI, all new vehicles sold in Canada have daytime running lights (my truck has an 'auto' setting as well), all the Frontiers sold in Canada are made in the USA so you'd think this would be an available option through a dealer.
...and yet one can purchase a KC P4X 6-sp in Canadian spec...but this iteration is unavailable in US.
________

Auto headlights standard on SL trim level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts