Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 frontier sv crew cab. I've taken mini trips to big bear and other places that require going uphill and when I do I feel as if the truck kinda forces itself. The RPM doesn't seem to move from either 2k or 3k. Sometimes it even smells like something burnt. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i did release the parking break. Does this sound familiar to you in anyway by any chance?

·
Premium Member
10,269 Posts
I’d take it in so it can be addressed and you can enjoy it again. There shouldn’t be any odors and it should respond to pedal input. It’s too new to have to wonder about anything. Have you pulled the trans dip stick to smell and see the fluid?

Clint

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d take it in so it can be addressed and you can enjoy it again. There shouldn’t be any odors and it should respond to pedal input. It’s too new to have to wonder about anything. Have you pulled the trans dip stick to smell and see the fluid?

Clint
Yea Im going to have to take it in to get it checked out. This is my first time owning a truck and I just recently purchased it 5 months ago so maybe i thought its common or that's just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
10,269 Posts
At a minimum it will be on record that you are concerned with this issue.

Clint

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I am assuming you have an automatic transmission. Is it downshifting on the hills that will enable more rpms?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is this the v6? How many miles. Is this a break in period issue? Also see what difference engaging the overdrive off button on the automatic shifter would do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your model equipped with hill start assist? Could be an issue with that staying on? Maybe smelling hot brakes?
Just a thought....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know that the transmissions have changed behavior for the 2nd gens, so 05-20 might be the same...
Mine is also slow to downshift up hills unless I plant the gas pedal deeper.
The O/D will not be a factor unless you are in the O/D gear already. All the OD button does is keep the trans from shifting into OD gear, which is the highest gear, which is 5th gear. If you shift it into #3 on the shifter then that prevents it from going into 4th or 5th. Shift to 2nd and that prevents it from going into 3rd, 4th or 5th. 1st? yes, prevents 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th... The OD button is just easier than the actual shift lever, but does the same sort of thing; blocking OD is so common that they put it on a button to make life easy, but older cars, and some still, use the shift lever to control OD.

if you smell burnt smell then that might be bad. Do you know the smell of burning transmission fluid? It is distinct from burnt oil. Oil, motor oil, could be getting on something hot and burning, like a drip onto exhaust, and that is much less a concern. Uncommon for motor oil to burn in the motor and then you smell it outside.

If you don't have a trans temp sensor, then you need one. If you tow then you should have one. The more data you can monitor, like trans fluid temp, the better you can self-diagnose problems.
If trans temps were seen getting very hot and you smell burnt oils then you know trans fluid is burning

You said,"The RPM doesn't seem to move from either 2k or 3k. "
This sentence is so bad nobody knows what it means, can u clarify?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is yours a V6 or the 4cyl? If V6 and you can't get up hills and smell something burning, I recommend a dealer visit ASAP. My only experience with a 4cyl/auto was a first gen, and that was SLOW. I took a Tahoe trip recently and had plenty of power up any hills (V6).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts