Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Issues and Information on the 2nd Gen Automatic Transmission

23K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  bajasam 
Good idea and info!

I'll chime in some of my experience as well.

I had to have my trans rebuilt at 84k miles, but not due to cross contamination. Rather, I had performed the bypass at 27k miles (shortly after I bought it) and like the OP, I assumed the factory air cooler would be enough to keep things cool. WRONG!!! My trans died due to multiple fluid over temp cycles. This wiped out all the clutch material on the plates and stressed the bands. Mind you I had performed a drain and fill at the time of bypass and another at about 60k miles. I also did not tow anything during this period. I do, however, live in a warmer than average climate and frequently wheel in 100*+ temps so that is a factor. So it's not like you can blame it on poor maintenance, that little radiator cooler does help keep things cooler. Since my trans did not have cross contamination, it did not need a new valve body. For those wondering about price, the dealer wanted about $6k for a reman'ed transmission and private shops quoted between $3-5k for a full rebuild. I went with a pretty highly rated trans specialty place that I felt good about and ended up paying $2900 for a full rebuild with upgraded clutches and HD bands. Came with a 3 year 36k mile warranty too. If it had needed a valve body they said it would have been another $1100. I'm at 110k now and it still feels great.

Unsure if this was related to the heat cycles but something else that was interesting to note during the rebuild was a failed reverse solenoid snap ring. This is actually what brought me into the trans shop initially as I was losing reverse. I did some asking around on the forums about this and a few others had also mentioned this happening to them with the same diagnosis.The trans had also begun to slip pretty bad just before this.

After my rebuild, I have added a rather large (overkill) air cooler in series with the factory air cooler. I don't have a way to monitor temps but I can assume it's much cooler now. I also plan to replace the radiator and add back in the small cooler when I flush the coolant in a few thousand miles.

TL;DR:
Factory air cooler is not enough for all cases, add another cooler!
Hey glamisdude, I am about to be in this boat as well. Can I ask why you chose to upgrade the clutch and HD bands (and what are those?)?

If I have to get the transmission rebuilt, I want this truck to run a long damn time and am looking at what else I should have done without shelling out a whole lot more cash.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.