Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to make a bed extender that can slide in/out of the bed using the utilitrak channels on the floor of the truck bed.

I've been looking at the DIY utili-track cleats here and still cant quite figure out the best way to accomplish what I am wanting.

The photos below show what I am wanting to build. It doesn't need to be crazy strong, just enough to add some support to the end of a 12' kayak. I have a long bed too btw.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel, if you have a receiver hitch, just get a truck bed extender and you’re done.

Clint

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel, if you have a receiver hitch, just get a truck bed extender and you’re done.

Clint
I've got to agree with this. I do it all the time with mine.

The F-150 I had prior to my Frontier had a bed slide in it for being about to store tools and then slide it out so things are easier to reach. It worked great but required a topper or bed cover 24/7 because crap would get stuck under it if left uncovered.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wanting something that I could leave in all the time. And that wouldn't require me having to take apart to out inside the can while I am out fishing.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
While not to hard to build, the sliding part would be the biggest problem due to the issue mentioned above. Anything in the floor track will get jammed up with junk and make the sliding action stick. You'll also always have something sticking up on the floor making it hard to load items into the bed.

How far does it need to extend past the tailgate? You would be better off using the side U track if you want a sliding action OR make a replacement tailgate cover that flips out.

In all honesty though while I do love thinking outside the box, the hitch mounted ones will be the simplest and cheapest option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts