Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a 1st gen truck? It seems they have two versions, the software you put on your laptop and the unit you can mount in your truck. Both monitor PIDs from your engine computer, and both will clear codes. Can you do anything else with them?

Anyone have the software? How well does it work, did you have to buy anything else? What can you monitor?

Anyone have the ScanguageII? Same questions, how well does it work, did you have to buy anything else, what can you monitor.

I am fairly certain the gen1 computer is a dumb computer with read only memory so there isn't any software or add on programs that can help with performance.

I know you can get a smaller pulley for the S/C but without being able to adjust the fuel tables how safe is it upgrade?

Inquiring minds want to know what you can do to a Supercharged 1st gen to make it a better performer? I am open to suggestions.

thanks, John

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
ScanGauge is only for monitoring and checking/clearing codes. It can not do anything past these simple tasks.

You are pretty much screwed for tuning thou. JET is the only company doing "chips". If you want a real tune thou, you will probably have to use a different VQ series ecu and have it customized for your application. You should probably read up on some threads especially the ones in relation to the VG33er.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been trying to find something, most seems to be for 2nd gen trucks, where would I look he asks as a lightbulb goes off in his head and the writting says "search on VG33er"

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The handhelds are only good for the 2nd gens. 1st gens require custom tuning. Apparently JWT can take a Z32 ecu and program it to work on your truck. It won't be cheap and may require some dyno tuning but it is an option.

In the end, you have to figure out if the money spent on this mod is worth it for you personally. You will not get it back in a trade so it must be worth it to you. Heck, look at your final goal and make sure whatever tuning you do now can be modified to work later. Example would be if you built the motor some and increased the boost, can the ecu be re-programmed to work or would it cost another arm/leg to get it done.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you which is why this truck has stayed relatively stock for 7 years, and my 06 Solstice went under the knife with only 10k on the clock. But one can always dream :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts