Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2wd Frontier and I have no need for a 4wd, but I live in a city that sometimes floods. I've been doing research about not only protecting/sealing some of the parts in case high water becomes an issue on the road but also adding a Snorkel to my truck. I however don't know if a Snorkel would interfere with how a 2wd works since all snorkels are pretty much for 4x4 vehicles (I think). Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is a 2wd or 4wd the fit is the same.

I think that it would help. Most will tell you that if you are crossing water that deep your going to have other issues. But I use to cross pretty deep streams in my 2wd and it would start bogging when water would go over the hood. These were stupid, but "quick dips" where I think a snorkel would have helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your time is better spent looking for high ground... a hill...a parking garage... etc.
LOL, yeah I know man... the thing is what do I do when my wife calls me once she's stuck somewhere high water and I need to go rescue her. I'm not gonna go cross rivers... just quick dip to search for high ground. I don't like water near my vehicle's electrics anyways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't matter if it is a 2wd or 4wd the fit is the same.

I think that it would help. Most will tell you that if you are crossing water that deep your going to have other issues. But I use to cross pretty deep streams in my 2wd and it would start bogging when water would go over the hood. These were stupid, but "quick dips" where I think a snorkel would have helped.
I see, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm not going amphibian. This is probably gonna be for those situations where there's random street flooding and I may have to rescue my wife if she's stuck somewhere. Water can really mess up all the electrics and where I live the rain can be super heavy and certain areas just turn into pools in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waste of time, but if your hot for that look just install the upper half that's visible and don't connect anything up to your air cleaner box. No one will ever know.
:ROFLMAO: nah man. I'm not about looks, but more about safety and functionality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love my 2wd Frontier and I have no need for a 4wd, but I live in a city that sometimes floods. I've been doing research about not only protecting/sealing some of the parts in case high water becomes an issue on the road but also adding a Snorkel to my truck. I however don't know if a Snorkel would interfere with how a 2wd works since all snorkels are pretty much for 4x4 vehicles (I think). Any thoughts or advice?
Where do you live exactly? Do you live by the coast? Like the Gulf Coast?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Instead of buying a snorkel, I would suggest maybe looking into a suspension lift kit, if your budget allows it. :)
Probably not a bad idea, get a 2" lift like I have sitting in my garage waiting to get bolted in, and you just gained yourself 2 more inches of fording depth. And obstacle clearance. I'd 101% opt for the rear axle vent mod too, to avoid water getting in the rear diff from the craptastic $1.57 vent that Nissan and Toyota both use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably not a bad idea, get a 2" lift like I have sitting in my garage waiting to get bolted in, and you just gained yourself 2 more inches of fording depth. And obstacle clearance. I'd 101% opt for the rear axle vent mod too, to avoid water getting in the rear diff from the craptastic $1.57 vent that Nissan and Toyota both use.
Ha! good add on regarding the rear axle vent.

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
Military vehicles are waterproof by everything sell contained .
A Jeep distributor houses , points,them sparky things,condenser,etc.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Most common thing to die when crossing deep water are alternators. Not even that deep of water can easily kill an alty. Seen it happened a few times on various rigs.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I did a minimal 1.5"/1" lift. Should have gone for 2"/1.5". Then I upgraded rims and tires. And I removed my cap. Overall, I sit 3+" higher than I did before. Doubt that makes much difference in Houston area flooding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts