Nissan Frontier Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it ok to lower a truck?

19K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  Zedbra 
#1 ·
Let me go on record as saying if you lower a truck, it ceases to be a truck. It's an El Camino, or a car with a bed. That's my own opinion though.

#2 ·
Each to his own opinion. Not too long ago, what we called "River Rockets". Dually Chevy trucks, crew cabs, slammed. Built motors that use to tow their bass boats, ski boats, drag boats to the Colorado river. Hauled ***! Carried all the camping gear, too.
More than any Frontier could do.
Bad *** trucks and I hate Chevys.

#3 ·

Attachments

Reactions: busemans
#5 · (Edited)
If you meant to post a poll, is isn't viewable on my device.

Several years ago, I would have said "No." Now I'd say "Sure, why not?" The more life experience I have, the less judgmental I find I'm getting. I personally wouldn't lower my own truck, but if it floats someone else's boat, I say go for it. As long as you aren't hurting anyone else, do what makes you happy. I'm sure there are people out there who think I shouldn't have lifted my truck, or all the decals in the back window are dumb, or I should have bought a Jeep if I wanted to off road because trucks are for hauling, or I should keep the paint and body in better condition. But you know what, it's my truck and I do what I want with it. Want to lower your pickup? Knock yourself out.

Am I doing this voting thing wrong? :laugh:

#6 ·
It's a case by case basis. Those dually trucks ARE badass. If someone takes a 4x4 truck and modifies it to be 2 wheel drive just so they can put airbags on it... that just makes me sad. On the other end tho... you take a single cab 2wd Nissan Hardbody pickup and lower it I'm okay with it, clean truck IMO.

#9 · (Edited)
So true.
The "River Rockets" were built for one purpose. High speed towing.
Fished the Colorado with a friend.
Towed his 21 ft Cajun bass boat with his lowered Suburban. Tracked straight even in high winds with the lower profile.

Wish my Frontier could be lower than it is now. I want a lower CoG.

#10 ·
Honestly, I feel like it takes a lot of work to lower a truck properly. Even more so on these trucks because there is pretty much zero aftermarket support for that direction. Would I do it myself? No, probably not. But I do appreciate the work put into a quality lowering job. I'm not talking chopped springs and pulled leafs.... I mean proper work like C notched frame, linked rear on bags and custom spindles. I'd venture to say that a quality lowering job can be just as challenging as a SAS or linked pre runner build.

#14 · (Edited)
Is it ok to lower a truck?
About as OK as making a useless poll thread that doesn't have a poll.
Thanks for your comment. Do you feel better now? Empowered? There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others. I hope you feel like it added a couple of inches for you because apparently you need them. But that's ok. A lot of people have that problem. I don't but it sounds like you do.

#16 ·
Let me go on record as saying if you lower a truck, it ceases to be a truck. It's an El Camino, or a car with a bed.
If the lowering impacts a truck's usefulness (IE cargo/payload capacity), then I agree. Worth noting that trucks have gotten taller over the last couple decades and that can also impact usefulness. Truck bed/tailgate height for loading/unloading and reach-over at the bedsides affects functionality as well.

After using a Ram 2500 loaner in June '16 for a couple weeks...well, it was eye-opening just how HUGE that thing was. No thanks.

#17 ·
Lowering isn't my taste, but as others have mentioned, I respect the work some people put into lowering their tow rigs properly. Lowered duallies are popular here, as well, and they always catch my eye and I wonder how they ride - been in one that was air bagged properly and it drove like a Cadillac while towing a huge boat.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok, ok. Now I'm torn. Do I give a little? You know the devil on one shoulder and angel on the other? I think I have stupid man pride vs sensibility. Ok, you wanna give me 2wd dually I'll accept it as Martin Riggs tearing down a cliffside house with his rig. It's a movie but cool none the less. I guess I question what certain vehicles are built for. Reminds me of a "The Departed" quote...do you want to appear to be a cop or do you want to shove a 'dude's' head through a plate glass window. Ridgeline...what is it? Is that a truck just because it has a bed? El Camino/Ranchero, huh? I was behind a 2wd Ranger today that was trying to race me. He beat me in turns because I have a 4wd lifted truck and I know those things handle like cars. So is it really a truck because it handles like a car? But anyway, if you lower it and put a coyote in it, it's gonna be a beast. But it's not the same as an F150 nor Mustang with the same motor. So what is it?

I've been in a full size Dodge with a hemi pulling a 21' boat and couldn't tell it was there either. He only had a leveling kit though.

Anyway, if you Google Image lifted honda ridgeline you'll see some goofy looking stuff.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
After using a Ram 2500 loaner in June '16 for a couple weeks...well, it was eye-opening just how HUGE that thing was. No thanks.
When I got out of the service(1972) I needed a truck. Went to checkout the Toyota and Datsuns. After driving "deuce and a halfs" and five tons, they seemed so tiny! Just the opposite. Ended up building a 56 Chevy panel.
Owned 6 trucks since then. The Nissan is the only small truck I ever owned and it still feels tiny to me.

#20 ·
#22 ·
This is the Ridgeline I meant to post. Stock Mini class.

Attachments

#28 ·
I need to lower my truck. It's sits too high. Just need to check if my bump/ percentage will be ok.

#30 · (Edited)
My truck is not used for crawling nor mud bogs.
It is used for desert racing.
Too high of a cg is detrimental and dangerous. That is why I think body lifts are dumb. They increase cg without improving travel or suspension.
I have 14" of travel and can play with the ride height.
I don't know what your suspension consist of but I doubt it is any good.

#31 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll give you that then. That makes sense. I was just teasing you. And thank you for your uninformed judgement on my suspension. My truck is not built for desert racing being that I live nowhere near a desert. That would be just stupid. It's built appropriately for the type of terrain I encounter. But I really hope you feel more adequate with your 14". I'm sure the ladies love you for it. I'd be more impressed if you told me you towed X amount of bales of hay, or you towed such and such kind of tractor, or you drove through 2' of water and mud to get to your livestock. But no, you drive in sand. Look out for this guy. He does some real work! He plays in a sandbox like a child LOL!!!!!

#32 ·
When I tow I use a real truck.
Just for your information, I towed a 3 horse slant with two horses and a mule with my 92 Ford.

Attachments

Reactions: blkfir
#33 ·
So tell me about what your suspension consist of.

Reactions: blkfir
#37 · (Edited)
Well dang it. I was gonna take your bait so I took some pics but I don't see how my free membership will let me post them. Lemme figure that out. But right now, i have Bils all around. I bought some rear leafs to increase my bed load by 600lbs from the fine folks at General Spring in Gardner, KS. I put new HD coils on the front because I have a 200lbs winch bumper, along with a 60lbs winch with synthetic cable so my front end wouldn't sag. Projects in the works...right now I'm rebuilding a Ford 9" to integrate into my rig because I bought an SE with a C200k. I just purchased a Spartan locker and a 3.70 ring and pinion for it to go along with the Dana 60 I picked up from a Super Duty. It has a 3.73. Unfortunately, I need to get spacers for the rear to match the stance so I just ordered longer ARP lugs to press in. The 9" is a big bearing so I think it can take it. That's all for my meager suspension. I haven't decided on travel yet. I think I'm gonna 4 link thr rear and not sure about the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.