Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is a recent acquisition. Somehow I just now noticed how high it sits, relative to other pictures I've seen of other stock 4wds. I just replaced all the pads and rotors and didn't see anything unusual in there, but maybe I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for.
The tires are oversized. 285/75 Cooper discoverer at3. I'd like to swap them out.
Would they even fit if it wasn't lifted?
I'd like the truck to remain mostly stock, or at least look like it is.
So, is it lifted? And will 265/75 fit with a standard lift?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
have you read the suspension stickies?

265/75/16 are stock size tires, so they will certainly fit with no lift. One clue to if it's lifted is if there is a block between the rear leafs & axle. If yes, lifted. If the front coils have any kind of spacer between the top hat & bucket, lifted. If the fronts shocks are other than black or yellow it may be lifted.

For a 285/75/16 it is most likely lifted. To fit 33s it takes a lift and some clearance work usually (pinchmold mod at least). You likely have a 2" lift

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I did not. The thought occurred to me this morning on my way out, and I half panicked and took some photos. I will read through them though.
I will investigate the struck itself further when I get home.
I thought the sticker said 265/70, but I may be wrong, and I'm not on the up and up as far as sizes, so I thought I'd ask.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The PRO4X comes with 265/75-16s and SV comes with 265/70-16. 285s would rub the fenders behind the tires if it was not lifted, unless the previous owner modified the wheel wells. Post those pictures so we can see the suspension. Include shots of the top of the front shocks and the rear leaf packs and shackles.

If you are determined to go back to stock, consider the 265/75-16s. The speedo and odo are more accurate with that size.

Can I ask why you do not want the 285s? I think the truck looks better with a small lift and larger tire....

Congratulations on your new Frontier!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I''ll take some pictures if it isn't still pouring later.

I agree that the truck would look better/more aggressive but, all four are feathered and the highway ride is terrible. I may have the tire shop rotate and balance them, but I'm not optimistic. I'm learning that the previous owner did not take great care of this truck. Also looking forward these LTs are approximately 13lbs heavier than the 265s I'm looking at and I am somewhat concerned about gas mileage not to mention tire price.
And thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I''ll take some pictures if it isn't still pouring later.

I agree that the truck would look better/more aggressive but, all four are feathered and the highway ride is terrible. I may have the tire shop rotate and balance them, but I'm not optimistic. I'm learning that the previous owner did not take great care of this truck. Also looking forward these LTs are approximately 13lbs heavier than the 265s I'm looking at and I am somewhat concerned about gas mileage not to mention tire price.
And thanks!
Where you at? Can you send some of that rain up northeast?!?!

Something to look for is adjustable LCA cam bolts. Where the lower control arm connects to the frame, there are bolts with washers. They should be eccentric instead of round. IF they are round, and the UCA (upper control arm) is stock (black stamped steel) then part of the wear issue is simple alignment. A set of LCA bolts will fix that for you.

As to tire weight ... What will you be doing with the truck? If offroad or tow/haul the extra weight of the LT may be justified for you by greater sidewall strength and greater resistance to blow-outs... But if its all street, you may be better served with a highway tire (all season)

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/oem-vs-aftermarket-adjustable-cam-bolts-100506/

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O-H-I-O.
I can't justify the LTs, but still want an all terrain tire. I've been stuck hunting and fishing.
I guess it's lifted. I only took a couple quick pics due to the rain.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
520 Posts
KEEP THE LIFT!!! Think of the lift as a safety item, your view of the road is much better the higher you go! Not to mention your commute times will decrease cuz peeps always move over for a lifted truck ::wink::

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
That looks like it is lifted. a 2 inch block in the rear and some kind of shock stop spacer. By the blue color guess it is a calmini spacer. Block looks like the one in the kit as well.
I wouldn't remove it, keep the lift. Run 265/75 would make the truck a lot more well mannered. Going back to 265/70s will make the truck feel downright FAST.

https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=38&t=1&p=947&n=50,51

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You just helped me realize, that in my infinite wisdom, I was posting pictures from a private album which would only show for me.

Boy do I feel silly.
That looks like it is lifted. a 2 inch block in the rear and some kind of shock stop spacer. By the blue color guess it is a calmini spacer. Block looks like the one in the kit as well.
I wouldn't remove it, keep the lift. Run 265/75 would make the truck a lot more well mannered. Going back to 265/70s will make the truck feel downright FAST.

https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=38&t=1&p=947&n=50,51
Thanks for the info and fast response. I'm going to put on 265/75's for sure. I just don't know about the lift. I like the way it looks but I'm trying to get the mileage and handling close to where it should be, even though 2 inches doesn't seem like much. I know my right foot is a big part of the mpg.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is your axle seal blown in that pic?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts