Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've been using the diff for years now as a "one step" method of raising the rear end when I needed both wheels off the ground (say, to do a brake job). I read though, on another forum (Ford), that that shouldn't be done because the axle tubes could "bend." I can't fathom that being possible, but is it? So, before I embark on my brake job, is it possible that damage could occur?

CF moderator says: Yes, service manual says rear diff can be used as a jack point.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's funny coming off a Ford Forum, Ford plays themselves has having the highest payload and towing capacity...if the axle tubes are at risk of bending from jacking up the diff...then they'd bend/break without the diff being used as a jacking point. More weight on the bed/frame = more pressures on the diff to snap downwards (leverage)

Maybe someone else will chime in, but, I've always done as you do, and I'm not going to change...exception being the manual says otherwise....so....RTFM!

:)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've always done it an will continue. It doesn't seem possible to me to bend the axle tubes using this method.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ditto like the boys say
I have always jacked the truck up the same way
In fact have always put the jack under the diff center to jack any car up

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i jack using the pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If the tubes would break by jacking, they would also break by the trucking having tires on the ground.

Jack away, all is well.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
thats the safest point to jack the rear just make sure you have wheel chalks up front on both sides of the tire to keep it from rolling

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i would jack up the the truck by the pumpkin with no hesitation. my uncle who has a 19ft saltwater fishing boat used to jack up his truck by the pumpkin with the boat attatched. don't ask me why my uncle jacked his truck up with the boat attatched, cause i don't know why.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
the pumpkin is only a press in fit with 2 round wedges holding them in place on a ford 8.8. On the nissan dana clone there is are 2 plug welds per tube. I have seen one nissan spin a tube, I know that for racing you always weld the tubes on an 8.8.

The spring perches are allot closer to the wheels then the pumpkin, so the stress is allot less than jacking from the pumpkin. I jack from the pumpkin but my rear end is all ready bad so who cares.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I broke an axle on my 05 CC 4x4 . But it wasn't because of that, I assure you. I too will continue jacking under the diff.

Fords are inherently brakeable . . . .Found On the Road Dead . . . FORD is actually an acronym.

:nana:

·
Super Moderator
11,068 Posts
I've always done it that way and never an issue.

Clint

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ive NEVER hear, seen, or read of axle tubes bending from using the pumpkin as a jacking point. Jack away.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I broke an axle on my 05 CC 4x4 . But it wasn't because of that, I assure you. I too will continue jacking under the diff.

Fords are inherently brakeable . . . .Found On the Road Dead . . . FORD is actually an acronym.

:nana:
Don't forget thou, they are build Ford Tough but they do have a single point of failure due to the use of single bolts over 2 or more, lol.

I am with Nizmut thou. The distance between the wheelhub and the spring perch is what is the lever arm and jacking from the pumpkin increases that lever arm. I wouldn't worry about it unless you had a full bed but I can see how it could be bad.

·
Registered
253 Posts
F ix
Or
Repair
Daily

:laugh:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I drove Fords for 30 years before getting smart and switching to Nissan! I always used the pumpkin to jack and never had a problem! Like said just be carefull. Scotty.

·
Super Moderator
19,823 Posts
I have jacked up many Ford trucks at work using the gear housing on the front and rear. Never had a single problem with bent axles. If it did happen, I would attribute it to a weak axle tube or defect in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wow you guys are risking a lot each time you jack from the diff. While the whole axle could be considered a beam that is evenly strong the whole length, no axle was ever designed to transfer the load of the truck vertically down through the diff. The only stresses the diff feels from the tubes normally is tension or compression depending on whats going on with your load, the position of the wheels, grade, etc. The axle always transfers the load through the wheels and onto the ground. When you jack from the diff, you are applying a vertical load to a member that was never designed for it.

It may be that "it's always been done that way" or you've never heard of a problem, but just be careful with what you are willing to risk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.