Nissan Frontier Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought house a few months ago @ 2.25% fixed 30 year.
No 401K probably should look into that. 40 years old.
Work from home and dont need a decked out truck but wanted it.
83 months is due to wanting to keep payments around what i currently pay.

Starting to think i shouldn’t buy but also seeing a lot of info that market will not stabilize for 18-24 months and could get even worse.

I’m sure the new hotness has my attention.
I’m currently looking myself however I have a small business where I will be using the 179 tax code to write down the $50,000 purchase. It comes out to $17,000 reduction in taxes. So the 50k Pro4x will actually cost me $33,000. You say you work from home and you travel a lot. If you don’t own your own business but use your truck for work related travel you still have write off Options for that. Don’t pull the plug until you contact a good CPA. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m currently looking myself however I have a small business where I will be using the 179 tax code to write down the $50,000 purchase. It comes out to $17,000 reduction in taxes. So the 50k Pro4x will actually cost me $33,000. You say you work from home and you travel a lot. If you don’t own your own business but use your truck for work related travel you still have write off Options for that. Don’t pull the plug until you contact a good CPA. Good luck
Some links on tax that may help. Again, Contact a Good CPA.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Vehicles are depreciating assets unless they are hot classic cars but that can change without notice.

Clint
I wonder what depreciation on the Frontier is going to be like later on. You can't really value a used 2022 Frontier yet online at any site. Carvana and Vroom won't give buy values online, Not but a few 2022 models on KBB yet.
Considering almost everyone paid MSRP, or higher with "market adjustments". Typically with rebates, that is factored into the trade-in value. Are those who paid thousands above msrp going to eat that on a resale value? things to wonder about in the future.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bet a poll for how many people bought a Frontier for work purposes would be very small, so I'd guess that would help very few of us.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
If those who bought one keep it for the long term it’ll work out far better than those who swap out vehicles every 2-4 years.

Clint

Reactions: Gregs2022ProX

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
I didn't come out too bad, and I drove it two months!
That’s great but it’s all consider the current supply times, if it was when things quieted down some you most likely wouldn’t have considered it.
For comparison, in the beginning of the pandemic I got my Titan for $9600 off the sticker and 0% financing so with my 2018 for a trade in I came out ahead and take all the money that would have been in interest and add it to my payments. I’ll shave a good 18 months off the term.
That red alert is a perfect color!

Clint

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you can wait a year, supply chains will be better. the local ford dealer is offering a new bronco for $30K over invoice. Dealers have no inventory so they have no wiggle room to make up a profit

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you can wait a year, supply chains will be better. the local ford dealer is offering a new bronco for $30K over invoice. Dealers have no inventory so they have no wiggle room to make up a profit
LOW Inventory yes....

But NO PROFIT, bull****. Dealer pays invoice (or less), retains the holdback on the sale, and sells at MSRP (or more). There is profit. Not to mention the extortion of a "doc fee" some dealers charge.

Reactions: bajasam

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
LOW Inventory yes....

But NO PROFIT, bull****. Dealer pays invoice (or less), retains the holdback on the sale, and sells at MSRP (or more). There is profit. Not to mention the extortion of a "doc fee" some dealers charge.
My friend is a saleswoman at a Lexus dealership and said she’s had the best last two years ever $150,000 +

Clint

Reactions: Gregs2022ProX

·
Registered
591 Posts
LOW Inventory yes....

I don't think the Doc fee goes to sales. It helps cover for overhead on the dealership. But the fee can have a wide range. It can range from 0 to 1000 dollars. It can at times be negotiated away. I did on my P4X. I got lucky they waived it. Generally they don't like to give that up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In reality this is a massively bad idea, You’re burying yourself in debt and at a extremely long term. I got a brand new Titan for less money during the pandemic and a 0% loan. You have a perfectly fine Jeep, owe far less than you’re looking to undertake, then drive the heck out of it and drive it’s value down at the same time.
In these economic times are you absolutely certain you won’t lose your job? What happens if you do? Do you have that insurance quote in writing? What if they misquoted it and you get hit with a higher amount?
Covid stopped my business for a year as a contractor,
I can’t imagine if I couldn’t keep my entire household going including making payments on the four cars I own. I’ve been in business for 46 years and never would have guessed that walking my puppy would be the highlight of my days for a year. Today the title to my 4 year old $49,000 Wrangler came in the mail, it was a great thing to receive. I can’t imagine having a note on it that would keep going another 35 payments.
For most people things aren’t so bright and cheerful these days so give this some real deep thought before signing on the dotted line.
You’d do far better to buy stock or invest in something to create wealth for your future. This is just my opinion, do as you wish.

Clint
wow, I couldn't have said it better my self. In this climate along with his impatience will cost him dearly. PAY OFF your Wrangler first. buy a 2023 after some of the bugs have worked out.

·
Registered
2020 Pro 4x 4x4 with way too many features
143 Posts
Too expensive for my blood. I drive a 2019 pro 4x I paid 30k for. Its great. 49k is way too much for a 2022.
I would guess at $30k it was a used truck, or that was after a trade, because you couldn't even buy a Pro X for $30k in 2019, the invoice was more than that. The SV 4x4 was $37k sticker.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Some links on tax that may help. Again, Contact a Good CPA.

they closed the loopholes on business tax code in 2015 to stop the write off of personal use vehicles, (known as,
“SUV Tax Loophole” by adding this clause.
"Other heavy “non-SUV” vehicles and trucks with a cargo area at least six feet in interior length (this area must not be easily accessible from the passenger area.) To give an example, many pickups with full-sized cargo beds will qualify for a full deduction (although some “extended cab” pickups may have beds that are too small to qualify)."
So, unless you have a long bed, your truck doesn't qualify, and even if you do, the limit for this year is $11,560 as a "pass through" deduction.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This discussion makes me glad I decided to keep my 2012 PRO-4X. I believe when the present "vehicle shortage" passes, which it will, prices are going to go down quite a bit and quickly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This discussion makes me glad I decided to keep my 2012 PRO-4X. I believe when the present "vehicle shortage" passes, which it will, prices are going to go down quite a bit and quickly.
I have been buying Frontiers since the 2nd gen came out in 2005. My experience has been that the high end models hold their price, (like the LE and the Pro4X). I agree with your assessment that the prices will be negotiable, but, in my opinion, not so much on the upper end models. But...... having said that, I can tell you I have never seen the trade in values we currently have. So if a person had a truck or SUV in decent shape, they are getting $5-$10k more in trade right now. You would be hard pressed to get that kind of discount on a gen 3 Pro4X.
Once the used inventory gets ramped up, the old system of under-valuation on trades will come back.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts