Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2012, Crew Cab 4x4. So far I'm pleased with the performance but I'm a little hesitant about the tires going in to the winter, mainly as I just don't know anything about them and can't find a whole lot of information online either. The truck came with a set of newish looking Hercules Ironman All Country A/T. Any thoughts on these tires? They seem fine on the road and dirt roads (mostly).

I live in the mountains of Western NC, the climate is varied to say the least, some days in the winter it can be 60 degrees, and the next 25 and snowing. We rarely get more than 8-12" of accumulation, with 4-5" being more common. I commute about 60 miles on the highway each day, but have to negotiate a steep gravel driveway up to my house that's approximately 600ft long.

I have considered replacing the existing tires with a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 for the sake of peace of mind, but if the Ironman tires are up to the task, at least for the time being, I'd prefer to save my $$$.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Knowing nothing about the tire (or their age) I always look for lots of siping on the tread or lots of smaller tread blocks to grip the snow. But, until you try them out, no one will know. your winter weather and terrain is different than what I see in Minnesota. I would wait out one snow storm and then make your decision. I had a set of Goodyears on my last truck that looked the part, but were horrible in anything but dry warm pavement. I replaced them without hesitation after a couple of snowstorms.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have NEVER heard of these till now. Took a look at the spec's and they seem OK.... Light Truck Tire Gallery | Hercules Tires

I say wear them out then decide your direction. By then the mod bug may have bitten you and you could upgrade to something more aggressive in a larger size.

By the way.... these are made by Cooper tires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My friend who works at a repair shop quoted these to me for under $600 OTD for 285/75/16s, but I didnt get them. Still waiting on my finances to get right. Lol. I couldnt find any reviews on them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,802 Posts
There is no price you can put on having either the right tires for the job or decent brakes - save your money on other wants; these two items are needs and your life as well as those on the road rely on them. For the amount of driving you do daily, I would be investing in dedicated snow tires on a separate set of rims.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I researched these tires earlier this year and they seem ok. I think they're actually made by Cooper if I remember correctly. You may want to confirm that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I bought my Frontier back in May, it had a set of Ironman All Country tires on it. 5,000 miles or so later and I'm happy with them. Ride well and handle well on the street as well as a few trails I've been on. Been so dry, I really can't say how they would do in mud or snow.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Don't be cheap with tires

I read through a lot of those review's/complaints. A couple people were informing other people "Hercules and Ironman are two different tires" . Also a couple of the worst complaints with tread separation were about trailer tires. Another person was asking people to please list more information about the tire they bought, ie size, manufacture date, and design/tread. And another person was saying if you park a trailer on grass or dirt for long periods of time between uses that any tire is going to dry rot due to the PH in soil. And last but not least if you buy the cheapest tire you can find what do you expect from it?

I'm totally in the camp with Zedbra, those 4 tires are the only thing touching the ground. When you're going down the highway at 70mph, do you really want the cheapest tire you can find protecting you from losing control or having a blown out?

And please check your tire pressures at least monthly. Especially when the temps fluctuate from 70f to 30f that's a 4psi loss right there.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
No finger pointing, but w/ cheap tires sometimes comes the cheap owner (who doesn't maintain their vehicle) mounting said cheap tires. Bad shocks &/or alignment issues (as well as not rotating & checking pressure regularly) will eat up tires. Then they get online to complain.
Quality tires are akin to quality footwear. Both are worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks! I appreciate the input. It seems like the jury's still out on this one, but leaning toward the "Ehh, get rid". It will probably be another month before the weather turns really crappy around here so I'm going to keep them on until the New Year, but plan on replacing them then.

Any suggestions on where to look? I do a lot of highway driving to and/from work but at the weekends it's a lot of light off road (think forest service roads and sometimes "interesting" pull offs by the side of the river), and of course my always challenging steep gravel driveway.

Is it worth getting a decent All Season/AT tire and a set of chains for the really dire snow days for getting up and down the driveway?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Price doesn't always = a better tire.

I have ran many a house brand tire on daily drivers over the years and been happy enough to continue this practice. I've had plenty of issues with Name brand tires and never an issue with a house brand. I had continentals that were junk in the rain and I had Goodyears that were junk in any kind of snow. I've had BFG's that had horrible dry pavement straight line traction. I've had Arizonian or whatever the discount tire house brand is that just ripped through snow. so....

Most of the time I walk in to the tire store and tell the sales person I'm looking for 4 tires, I explain my driving habits and intended use and also toss in "I'm wanting a tire good in the winter and I'm not afraid of a house brand tire" and 99% of the time I am sold a tire that fits everything and my wallet.

Discount tire has never sold me wrong when I have used this approach. I did this the last two times on my wife's cars and she has never given me one complaint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks folks! I appreciate the input. It seems like the jury's still out on this one, but leaning toward the "Ehh, get rid". It will probably be another month before the weather turns really crappy around here so I'm going to keep them on until the New Year, but plan on replacing them then.

Any suggestions on where to look? I do a lot of highway driving to and/from work but at the weekends it's a lot of light off road (think forest service roads and sometimes "interesting" pull offs by the side of the river), and of course my always challenging steep gravel driveway.

Is it worth getting a decent All Season/AT tire and a set of chains for the really dire snow days for getting up and down the driveway?

Thanks!

If you spend much time traveling on I40 or I26 around Asheville I'd worry more about how they preform in the rain. That's when those roads become dangerous. I'd see how they preform before I just swapped them out. The most expensive tires I ever bought were the worst tires I've ever bought. You don't always get what you pay for with tires, sometimes you over pay because of the name on the side of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just bought four Ironman All country AT 265/75-16 E from tire buyer and had them the next day. They were the cheapest and the Honey app got me an additional $40 off, so all four were $467 with free shipping.
They look very good and well made to me, and the tread pattern is agressive enough for the snow.

I was a big fan of Cooper tires for years, but the Discoverer AT3 I have now are almost gone after 25K, so F it I might as well go cheap. I have come to find the Coopers are not very directionaly stable on any surface.
The All Country's have two longitudinal "grooves" of sorts, so I am hoping they will be better, especially in the snow.

All the dealers around here carry them, so they can't be that bad. For my area and driving they will be just fine, but I don't do much highway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What brand of tires did the OP go for? I am considering purchasing the RB-SUV Tires Ironman tires that I saw on 4wheelonline for my 2014 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab. It's cheaper than its competitors but I am not that familiar with the brand, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts