Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Frontier SV has the backup camera and Bluetooth feature to connect with my iPhone. It doesn't have the NAV System though. I don't mind, as I use my iPhone as my NAV and all the maps stay up to date. When I tell Siri to take me somewhere, she gives me the map, route and verbal directions. When I run this through my radio, I get the map, but no directions through the radio or the phone. If I turn off the Bluetooth on phone, I get verbal from it like normal. Someone suggested a cable from my phone to the USB in console... Before I try that, is there anything I'm missing on getting the verbal directions through the radio? Is there a way to upgrade the Bluetooth on radio to later version, that might do this ???

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Mine comes through with it in bluetooth by pushing a button

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
The "media" button

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a new iPhone 11 Pro and cannot figure out how to get either iPhone maps or google maps to talk while I am in my 2019 Frontier! Voice works fine on my phone if not in the truck! I need the turn by turn instructions because I don’t have a Nav system. I do have a Sirius add on that is plugged in to the Frontier port. I really would love it to be over the speakers but if that isn’t possible then at least be able to hear it over my phone. It is almost like it is trying to send voice to Frontier rather than phone speaker. It has got to be a setting on one device or the other. Any ideas!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a new iPhone 11 Pro and cannot figure out how to get either iPhone maps or google maps to talk while I am in my 2019 Frontier! Voice works fine on my phone if not in the truck! I need the turn by turn instructions because I don’t have a Nav system. I do have a Sirius add on that is plugged in to the Frontier port. I really would love it to be over the speakers but if that isn’t possible then at least be able to hear it over my phone. It is almost like it is trying to send voice to Frontier rather than phone speaker. It has got to be a setting on one device or the other. Any ideas!
On my 2019, it will only broadcast the directions when I'm playing music over Bluetooth or when plugged into the USB jack ("iPod"). It will not broadcast when I'm listening to AM/FM - something that makes absolutely no sense and is very frustrating since there are a few local stations I like to listen to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would settle for figuring out what setting I can change, on the iPhone or Frontier so that my iPhone would broadcast! It is like as soon as I get in the frontier, the map programs shut up!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
228 Posts
I would settle for figuring out what setting I can change, on the iPhone or Frontier so that my iPhone would broadcast! It is like as soon as I get in the frontier, the map programs shut up!
You have to be listening to Bluetooth audio in the truck. Aux, radio, XM, Cd, etc, you won't hear audio from Bluetooth ie the phone. You would need a vehicle with apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Unpair your phone's Bluetooth from the truck to hear navigation through your phone. You will lose handsfree calling, however.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You have to be listening to Bluetooth audio in the truck. Aux, radio, XM, Cd, etc, you won't hear audio from Bluetooth ie the phone. You would need a vehicle with apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Unpair your phone's Bluetooth from the truck to hear navigation through your phone. You will lose handsfree calling, however.
Mostly correct, you do need to be connected to Bluetooth. With iOS 14.0+, you can now hear navigation commands with AM/FM radio playing in a 2019 SV Value Package truck. At least you can in mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mostly correct, you do need to be connected to Bluetooth. With iOS 14.0+, you can now hear navigation commands with AM/FM radio playing in a 2019 SV Value Package truck. At least you can in mine.
Thanks I will try that. Mostly I listen to Sirius which is plugged in to my port. I had to add Sirius since the radio didn’t have that option!

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Same answer as in the other thread you posted to:

Connect to the head unit through Bluetooth, then you'll hear the turn-by-turn through your truck speakers.
In iOS14 f you want to change where the turn-by-turn is coming from, on the iPhone you can change back and forth in real-time from the home screen
the Playback Destination button
icon:

Play audio from iPhone on a Bluetooth audio device
  1. On your iPhone, open an audio app, such as Music, then choose an item to play.
    1. Tap
      the Playback Destination button
      , then choose your Bluetooth device.
      While audio is playing, you can change the playback destination from the Lock Screen or Control Center.
The playback destination returns to iPhone if you move the device out of Bluetooth range.

Learn more how to use iOS14 here: iPhone User Guide

·
Registered
2014 SV CC 4x4 LWB VTP
15 Posts
Nissan really dropped the ball by making the Bluetooth system operate as call only.

If you're phone can connect to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously, here's my advice.

I use a FM Bluetooth adapter plugged into the 12V on the dash, the adaptor also has the power for fast charging. On the phone, I limit the FM adaptor to media only, this way when a call comes through the Frontier handles it rather that the phone.

Here's the adaptor Amazon.com: Anker Roav Bluetooth Car Adapter and Car Charger, Power IQ 3.0 Type C PD, Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car, Wireless Calling with Bluetooth 5.0, Noise Cancellation -T2: Electronics

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Nissan really dropped the ball by making the Bluetooth system operate as call only.
Well the current D40 is a 16-year old vehicle design that's being replaced with an all-new one next year. I think it's a little too late to accuse them of "dropping the ball" this late in the game haha

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm running an iPhone 6s with 14.0.1, 2019 SV w/VTP. I've also tried it with my work phone (iPhone XR) with the same result - it will only play navigation commands when streaming via Bluetooth or when connected as an iPod. I do have an appointment next week to have the software update applied to the stereo, so hopefully it will work after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts