Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok after getting the Idea from Calimobber to install an inverter in a non-challant manner, I went ahead planned on for under the front Driver seat. Its a Cobra 850CPI 800W/1600W peak inverter hard-wire to the battery and loosely mounted under the driver seat. I have a full write-up with picks in the works. I'll throw it up here once its completeley done. Just thought I'd post my progress thus far.

The inverter is installed and working. I have some more pics. If you want the wrie up it'll be up shortly.

Pics are attached. Write up is below.
DC to AC Power Inverter beneath the Driver Seat Install
Huge thanks to Mylt1 for all his intuitiveness and advice in the electrical realm. This would not have happened correctly if not for his help. Also big ups everyone on Club Frontier for their input on various forums.

Materials /Tools
Power Inverter (I used at Cobra 800w/1600w peak)
Ring Terminals (4 – 1-4 AWG & 3-8 AWG)
1- 4 AWG amp wire (fuse optional)
Approx 15ft
One end has a ring terminal the other is for the hook-up to the Distribution Block
1 - Distribution Block 4awg to 2-8awg (fused with 60 or 70 amp)
2 - 8AWG wire (2-4 feet)
1 - with 2 ring terminals (ground)
1 - with only 1 ring terminal (Red)
1 piece of Plastic 11” L x 8” W
Small bolts or screws, no longer that 3/4”
Velcro Strips
Soldering Kit (optional but recommended)
Electrical Tape
Sand paper or Dremil
Screwdriver
Screw-gun with Drill bit
Wrench or two
Sockets and Extentions

Securing the Inverter and D.B.
Where and how is entirely up to your personal preference. Make sure it has the appropriate clearance and ventilation. Always consult the manual first.

1) I mounted it to a sheet of 1/8” or 1/4” Plastic, big enough for the inverter and distribution block; Here’s how:
a) Tape the inverter to the plastic and mark the mounting notches on the plastic.
b) Drill holes for the bolts.
c) Using a small bolt with the head on the under side of the plastic, mount the inverter to the plastic board. Use washer on each side
d) Mount the D.B. using super glue or screws/bolts in a similar fashion to that of the Inverter. I actually used double sided gold grip tape.

I applied the rough velcro to the under side of the plastic to help grip the carpet.

Assemble the Distribution block. (make sure the fuse is in it.)
a.Connect and secure the 8 AWG Red with the single ring terminal (Only a few inches long)
b.[FONT=&quot] Place a fuse in the block I used a 60 Amp. [/FONT]
c.From it run the 8 AWG (power) to the Inverter

Into the truck…
1)Disconnect the Ground off the Battery (ground always comes off first and goes on last)
2)Temporary secure the 4 AWG (Red) wire with the open near the battery.
3)Run around the engine compartment to the battery, Secure inside the Engine compartment with zip ties.
4)Find the grommet in-front of the driver-side firewall and punch a small hole to push the wire thru the grommet. Tape it up afterwards.
5)After pushing through the fire wall. Run behind the left foot rest and then run along the door jam. Just pop off the plastic trim and run under the carpet and push thru under the seat.
6)Run the Ground (8 AWG black) from the mount location to the nearest location on the body.
a.Try to find an existing mouth such as seat bolts under the seat, This will prevent more work than necessary.
b.Sand of any paint and primer to the bare metal and clean with rubbing alcohol.
i.A good location is using one of the mounting bolts for the seat itself. “remove the seat bolts and slide the seat back just a bit till you see the bolt holes where it mounts. now take some sand paper or emery cloth and sand down the paint around the bolt hole until your to bare metal. wipe it clean with some alcohol or acetone if you have some. now, place the ring terminal that you have crimped onto the new 8awg ground wire under the seat and tighten everything back down.” ~Mylt1

7)Place the Inverter set up under the seat and connect the Red 4 gauge wire to the D.B.
8)Reconnect the wire to the battery, including the new Power wire for the inverter
9)Attach the small Red wire to the Inverter then the Ground wire.
10)Flip it on and see if this write up was worth a damn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
SHould be pretty sweet. I was thinking about wiring one in and running a PS2 but not sure where to get the power from and what size inverter to get.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zero Six LE said:
What will you use it for?
I'll use it to run my Laptop, cell phone charger(if needed) and since I live in an apart compex, probably my electric buffer. Plus I'll be getting into more tailgating and campin in the future, So I'd figure it would come in hand.

BTW big up to Mytl1 for alot of hlep and advice with this project.

·
Super Moderator
19,979 Posts
CraneWR said:
I'll use it to run my Laptop, cell phone charger(if needed) and since I live in an apart compex, probably my electric buffer. Plus I'll be getting into more tailgating and campin in the future, So I'd figure it would come in hand.

BTW big up to Mytl1 for alot of hlep and advice with this project.

Cool. Yeah, Mytl1 is the electrical whiz man.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i like this idea...i wanted to get one too so i could play some ps3 on those long road trips! nice worrk too!!! SKILLS...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
timbo13 said:
where are you thinking of mounting the outlet? or will you just reach under the seat to plug things in?
I'll just reach under the seat. I'm uneasy with opening the unit and exteneding the wire. It's easy enough to slide the seat up and plug somehting in...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Where did you get the power from?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
BLKFRONTIER said:
Where did you get the power from?
I'm running a 4 gauge wire from the battery through the fire wall, through the center console or door side modling then to the Dis. Block.

Check the orginal post. I have completed the Install. A write up will be up shortly.

Check the Orginal Post I added more pics and a Write up... Spleeing errors Guaranteed

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
sorry i couldnt post earlier. i got banned for 7 days for defending myself. looks good and glad i could help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
just out of curiosity, why not just spend $50 for one that plugs into the power outlet? is there some kind of benefit to using this one?

I ones that plug into the power outlet can only deliver 400w max, that is if your lucky. Most can't do it unless directly connected to the battery anyways. This way the inverter doesn't work as hard since its an 800w, and you have enough juice if you need it. So I by-passed all the pain in lugging it around in the truck and plugging it in when need and I went the more convenient route.

It actually wasn't that hard to do. Check out the other Post "WRITE UP and Pics of Inverter under front seat"

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know im way late ,but been away for a while. Great job looks awesome. Mine comes in handy all the time, Used it to power laptop on my cross country drive. Just dont forget to turn it off, I killed my battery because i forgot to turn off the laptop and it slowly drained the battery all night.

·
Registered
706 Posts
nice job, but one question - wouldn't it be better to put the fuse closer to the battery? I've always though you put the fuses as close the battery as possible.

Lets say for some reason the cable gets pinched at the firewall and creates a short. THe fuse blows so it doesn't fry your inverter. but its still got a a shor from the battery to the pinch point...

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i think he used an amp wiring kit which would have a fuse at the batt. i could be wrong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wire answer

I did use an Amp kit, But i did not fuse it near the battery. I wanted to keep the unit in the set up that it is. I'm not worried about pinch the cable because it is quite think and the route I ran it keeps it away from moving parts and tight corners. the fuse I used in the DB is a bit lighter than the fuse on the inverter so they should blow first. I may add a fuse one weekend once Lacrosse season is over.

But no problems so far.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yeah, it may be thick, but i've seen with my own eyes a $20,000 car with who knows how much money into the audio system burn to the ground because a 2awg wire rubbed a small hole in its sheath.

i'm just looking out for ya, man. that's all....

·
Registered
665 Posts
man i forgot to do this mod, now i got an amp going under that seat, oh well maybe later some how.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I did use an Amp kit, But i did not fuse it near the battery. I wanted to keep the unit in the set up that it is. I'm not worried about pinch the cable because it is quite think and the route I ran it keeps it away from moving parts and tight corners. the fuse I used in the DB is a bit lighter than the fuse on the inverter so they should blow first. I may add a fuse one weekend once Lacrosse season is over.

But no problems so far.
you really need to fuse the wire at the battery.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts