Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am new to the forum and as of yet I do not have a Frontier. However, I am on the hunt for a crew cab pick up and am torn between a ram 2500; 1. because of the space and 2. because I've always wanted a diesel truck. I realize for the price and maintenance of a diesel it may not be practical. My wife owns an Xterra 4X4 and it has been absolutely flawless, so, I'm partial to Nissan. At the end of the day, I'm gathering facts in order to make an informed purchase. If I do buy a Frontier, I'm looking at the pro-4x since I'd be trading in (or selling) my 2006 Jeep Wrangler that has plenty of work done to it 3' lift, 4.56 gears etc--and I do off road, nothing outrageous but going off road is definitely something I do routinely. The Jeep just doesn't have the space for my family and associated gear, additionally, loading kayaks on the roof of a lifted Jeep is getting painful . . . much easier to load on the bed of a truck with a bed extender. Anyway, I wanted to say hello and use this website as a reference as I go forward.

Thanks again for you time, I look forward to the suggestions and insights . . .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the club! I'm a Jeep guy as well and know what it's like trying to load stuff on top of a lifted Wrangler, 03' Rubicon with a total of 5.5" of lift. I bought a Frontier for a daily driver and love the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Sadly, I don't think I'll be keeping the Jeep . . . I'm in the Marine Corps and toting three vehicles around will be difficult. Anyway, just yesterday I went to the dealerships, with the the family, to get a feel for the space inside a crew cab Frontier and Tacoma. The Tacoma felt a little more comfortable . . . do you think it was just me or is there a significant difference in space. What I can't overcome is the price difference, a new Pro-4x is significantly cheaper and would allow me to get a lift and some sliders. I've been digging into the lifts and I just can't figure out which is best, is a spacer and shackle lift adequate and would it ruin drive quality? I am not a rock crawler, I drive trails, mud etc, to be honest, off roading is a means to an end i.e. camping and kayak fishing with my family.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row and make the best decision possible.

Again thanks for your time and any and all advice is welcome.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Sadly, I don't think I'll be keeping the Jeep . . . I'm in the Marine Corps and toting three vehicles around will be difficult. Anyway, just yesterday I went to the dealerships, with the the family, to get a feel for the space inside a crew cab Frontier and Tacoma. The Tacoma felt a little more comfortable . . . do you think it was just me or is there a significant difference in space. What I can't overcome is the price difference, a new Pro-4x is significantly cheaper and would allow me to get a lift and some sliders. I've been digging into the lifts and I just can't figure out which is best, is a spacer and shackle lift adequate and would it ruin drive quality? I am not a rock crawler, I drive trails, mud etc, to be honest, off roading is a means to an end i.e. camping and kayak fishing with my family.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row and make the best decision possible.

Again thanks for your time and any and all advice is welcome.
I'm not sure if the Tacoms's have more room or more comfortable, I just know when I was looking for a truck, I would've had to buy a Tacoma with almost twice the miles on it has my Frontier to stay within my budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hear you Chris and I agree about the difference in price--with what I'll save, I can get a lift, sliders and bed extender for kayaks. I'm partial to Nissan because my wife owns a 09 Xterra and it has been absolutely rock solid for our growing family. A transition to the pro-4x would be a simple one and with some of the newer technology i.e. touch screen, back up camera, connectiviy to my phone, etc it makes it that much better. The only thing that sucks is that the manual Frontier does not come with a roof rack, however, that is not a show stopper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intro

Great day every I am new to the forum an my 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x is my very first truck! Im excited and Pray that I can not only learn from you guys but also bring some value! Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the welcome. I still haven't purchased a Pro-4x, I'm in the process of getting one. I anticipate I'll have one by January, I'm just getting my ducks in a row, i.e. which lift, sliders, and bed cover. Once I buy the frontier, I'll be figuring out what i need regarding a lift. From what I understand a spacer lift does not lend itself to off roading, so, I'll be looking at getting a coil over and AAL type of lift. At end state, I just don't want the lifted look, I want it to be useful when off road. I don't rock crawl, however, I do spend a lot of time off the beaten path (mud, trails, etc).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts