Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Company laptop automatically downloaded IE8 today, after that, I can't put my cursor over a thread and get the pop up box that shows the first portions of what the thread text is. Anyone know how to fix this?

It still works on two of my other forums I frequent. Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
same happened to me i dont know why?? but the in private browsing is cool if u wanna look at say a page that your wife/girlfriend doesnt need to see then you exit out and its not in your recently visited sites

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Who the hell uses IE?
Get Firefox peeps, seriously get it now.

Sorry tholmes can't help you bro (cough, switch to Firefox, cough).

·
Webwheeler Extraordinaire
2,180 Posts
Who the hell uses IE?
Get Firefox peeps, seriously get it now.

Sorry tholmes can't help you bro (cough, switch to Firefox, cough).
You did read where the problem lies with his COMPANY computer, right? Many businesses will not let their employees download and install any app they don't approve of first, so many people on work computers HAVE to use IE.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
You did read where the problem lies with his COMPANY computer, right? Many businesses will not let their employees download and install any app they don't approve of first, so many people on work computers HAVE to use IE.
True that.
If that's the case, talk to your resident IT personnel asap and let them know your problem.
Also, ask permission to install a different browser if you are having problems with IE.
I'd put money on it that your IT guys don't use IE.

Good luck.

(You can also run Firefox from a thumb drive and your company would be none the wiser)

·
2,180 Posts
True that.
If that's the case, talk to your resident IT personnel asap and let them know your problem.
Also, ask permission to install a different browser if you are having problems with IE.
I'd put money on it that your IT guys don't use IE.

Good luck.
:laugh: Mr IT guy, my new browser won't display the post preview any more. I really need to be able to spend time on CF instead of doing my work. Can you help me out? :laugh:

I see that going over well. If one of my employees came to me with this request, I would add the site to the blocked site list.

OP - uninstalling IE8 is simple and IE7 will still be there. Unless your IT group forbids you from doing this, this the route I would take as IE8 is horrible. Then, I would change my Automatic Updates settings from automatically download to Notify when available. Then, when you get the pop-ups that say updates are available, I would click on the Custom button, uncheck IE8, and go from there. This is assuming, of course, that your IT dept allows you to have this much control (many don't).

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Exactly. Mozilla Firefox is not a supported application within our company. I hate that..but nothin I can do about it. Since I work in IT I can put anything on my computer I want really but everyone else is S.O.L.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright, back on this morning.

I can have mozilla on my laptop, and I do run firefox for ebay. I have two problems with FF, 1 is that I have the same problems on it as I do new IE8, no preview box when I put my mouse on it. Second is that when using FF, I can't get the scroll function to work using the touchpad. If I plug in a USB mouse, then the scroll function works, but not on the touchpad. Works with IE8 though.

Thirdly, I have to use IE8 because we use microsoft web exchange for our email sys, and it doesn't work worth a darn in FF. PLus, the new IE8 runs about as stable now as FF does. I have a gig of memory on the laptop, and it used to get up by the end of the day to using over 80% of the memory. It now uses only as much as FF does, which keeps this POS running a bit more smoothly.

With the preview box not working on FF or IE8 but working for two other forums (CCW and mastercraft forum), it makes me think there is an option in CP that I am missing. I dunno, it drives me crazy though.

EDIT: I just figured it out. There is a compatibility option button you can click. It is for older websites that were designed for older browsers. Problems such as out of place menus, pictures and text and reconfigured to look the way they did on IE7. I just noticed the button when I refreshed the page. It looks like a picture of a piece of paper torn in half, and is right next to the stop and refresh buttons. That has fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
:laugh: Mr IT guy, my new browser won't display the post preview any more. I really need to be able to spend time on CF instead of doing my work. Can you help me out? :laugh:

I see that going over well. If one of my employees came to me with this request, I would add the site to the blocked site list.
That's because you are big meanie Wayne.:nana:
Maybe he has some "cool" IT people that would help him (unlike you).

Glad you got it figured out tholmes.

·
2,180 Posts
That's because you are big meanie Wayne.:nana:
Maybe he has some "cool" IT people that would help him (unlike you).

Glad you got it figured out tholmes.
Well, I do have this picture hanging in my office

and a drink coaster that reads "Sarcasm is just one more service I offer", so you might be on to something.

Thanks for the tip, tholmes. If I run into this issue at work, I may try to be one of the "cool" IT peeps and use it to fix their problem.

·
2,180 Posts
When I had my IT job I made sure Firefox was on every one of our computers, and anything else my fellow employees wanted. Everybody loved me:)
Obviously you are a nicer person then Wayne is. :2cool:
Notice he said when. I still work in IT. Direct correlation perhaps? :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Notice he said when. I still work in IT. Direct correlation perhaps? :laugh:
Ooops.
Yeah, never gave that one a thought.

So let me get this straight, being mean, sarcastic and not caring are requirements for an IT position these days?

·
2,180 Posts
Ooops.
Yeah, never gave that one a thought.

So let me get this straight, being mean, sarcastic and not caring are requirements for an IT position these days?
Being mean is not a requirement, it is just a bonus. Sarcastic and not caring are, especially when you are the one that has to enforce the policies. I don't know how many times I have heard "but I need to check my myspace account. My mom writes to me on it." or "I wasn't on YouTube all that long" or "I didn't realize that 7MB non-work related .mpg I just emailed to 25 employees wasn't a good idea but the trick that dog did was soooo amazing", etc. Not having a soul comes in handy some times (like when I am doing my job on here), especially with RIFs (govt's version of lay-offs) are on the horizon.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Well, I do have this picture hanging in my office

and a drink coaster that reads "Sarcasm is just one more service I offer", so you might be on to something.

Thanks for the tip, tholmes. If I run into this issue at work, I may try to be one of the "cool" IT peeps and use it to fix their problem.
^Stealing that!

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Being mean is not a requirement, it is just a bonus. Sarcastic and not caring are, especially when you are the one that has to enforce the policies. I don't know how many times I have heard "but I need to check my myspace account. My mom writes to me on it." or "I wasn't on YouTube all that long" or "I didn't realize that 7MB non-work related .mpg I just emailed to 25 employees wasn't a good idea but the trick that dog did was soooo amazing", etc. Not having a soul comes in handy some times (like when I am doing my job on here), especially with RIFs (govt's version of lay-offs) are on the horizon.
You just made it into my signature Wayne, congratulations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts