Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'll just get into it:

Nissan 2006 Frontier LE Crew V6 just over 43,000 miles (work from home).

Engine was running fine.

I thought, "she's a great truck, I'm going to give her some Lucas fuel injector cleaner as a treat".

NOPE! WRONG! My dumb a** put in the bottle of Lucas without filling up the tank. So it was only about 1/2 full of gas and didn't have a chance to dilute. I have used the exact same product for years without issue, my fault this time.

ANYWAYS, right after I started up my kid, ran fine for a few blocks, then engine quits. Pull over, checked everything, no leaks, etc etc.

Gave it 5 minutes then after about 10 seconds of cranking she started back up.

That was about 2 weeks ago (for me that means about 30 miles ago-ish).

Now she's intermittent on the long cold crank starts. Sometimes it's immediately starting, sometimes she needs a few gasps to go.

"Priming" the system (turn key to ignition just shy of cranking the starter, turn off, pull keys out, repeat process 2-3 times) does reduce the amount of cranking.

My guess (and I'd love some feedback here):
- Lucas-goo honked-up my fuel filter

I have run 1/2 tank of premium gas through her. I'm wondering if a fuel system cleaner might be a good idea.

TIA

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I'm wondering if a fuel system cleaner might be a good idea.
Isn't that what you did to get you to this point? Just say no to ANY mechanic in a bottle. Your owners manual even says not to use fuel system cleaners/additives. My 2010 has 35k (not my only vehicle) and I'd never consider using a fuel system cleaner in any of my vehicles. Why? Because they're not needed. Simply buy your fuel at a newer recognized brand high volume station.

Is the check engine light on? Other than suggesting to drive it and hopefully the problem clears up after you have run some clean fresh fuel through it (doesn't have to be premium) I don't know what else to advise you to do.

·
Admin
3,392 Posts
My thought would be to start by running through a few tankfuls of fresh gas (no external additives), then reevaluate to see if the symptoms still persist, and or if any trouble codes show up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucas wasn't the issue, strange timing...

So I had my truck scanned, this is the only error that came up: camshaft position sensor, bank 2 (left side of engine looking forward in driver's POV). The error P0345 popped up twice (that's what the "1 of 2" is).

I'm hoping it was wanged or the contacts are corroded. Otherwise that little guy is about $65.

You can see location from the factory service manual, attached.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,903 Posts
So I had my truck scanned, this is the only error that came up: camshaft position sensor, bank 2 (left side of engine looking forward in driver's POV). The error P0345 popped up twice (that's what the "1 of 2" is).

I'm hoping it was wanged or the contacts are corroded. Otherwise that little guy is about $65.

You can see location from the factory service manual, attached.

Thoughts?
That's another thing that can cause stalling. I would strongly advise you get the OEM sensor to replace it. My trusted Nissan tech told me that aftermarket sensors are not always viable replacements. He has worked on Nissans for well over a decade. A friend of mine with a 08 Frontier had to replace one of his sensors late last year. I am fortunate enough to still have my original sensors with 143,000 plus miles on the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucky!!!!!

Just disconnected the battery, found the little bugger, and jiggled it (actually tried to get the connector off to check for corrosion).

By only jiggling the connector the problem is solved! For now....

My guess is the sensor is OK, just have some corrosion on the pins. Now, to get that connector off...I have gorilla hands and this is a super-tight space to work in. Get it off, clean the pins, apply some yummy GC electronics silicone compound and slide those electron-lovers back together.

Thanks for the heads-up on the OEM sensors.

Cheers folks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yikes! That looks like it is going to cost money!

Where it's at looks like a snake of money is going to be needed (not lololing at all to this because I feel bad for you) I would think that the fuel injector cleaner stuff would be the problem also. The funny thing is that before I bought my new Fronty, I did some research about good fuel and bad fuel and that no 2 fuels are the same. If you use gas that has a lot of detergents in the gas like Costco or Shell, then there is no need to worry about clogged fuel injectors. If you feed your car with cheap gas like Kroger, Walmart, or those off brand convenience store gas station, then expect your fuel injectors to be clogged. I see why though that you are worried about your fuel injectors. According to my research, these fuel injectors in cars are the size of the human hair so practically, anything can clog it. Also since Fronty's use only regualr unleaded gas, it is pointless to spend that extra dollar on premium gas because your truck does not have a sports engine. Yes premium is a more refined gas than regular, but it is not going to do you any better. My mom used to fill her Nissan Altima with premium until I told her that you are wasting money on premium. If you do not need it, do not buy it! (that is how I live my life). I hope that this advice helps you :)

·
Admin
3,392 Posts
Appreciate the follow up after finding the issue OP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts