Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2006 4L V6 with ~125k miles.

Recently my daily commute increased dramatically (100 miles each way) and I am noticing an intermittent loss in engine power about once per leg of my commute on average. Always at highway speeds, around 2-2.5k rpm. Almost feels like letting your foot off the gas and breaking under engine load. Rpms don't move, fall or race, usually under cruise control at the time but not always. Was getting a slip light and check engine light. Additionally was having a very hard time starting after filling up daily, usually about 1/3 to empty and after driving about 30 miles of the leg. No issues starting from cold at all.

Took it to well reviewed mechanic shop in town, codes on the cats and also crank shaft sensor. They also suspected the clutch due to the slip.

I started by getting clutch and crank shaft sensor done. Clutch didn't make a ton of sense to me as engine wasn't racing like the transmission was slipping, but has been pretty soft for a while so seemed like a place to start. Get car back, same symptoms on next days commute only when pulling off the interstate near home I down shift and engine completely dies as I'm rounding a corner. Engine won't start, give it about ten minutes and it comes back to life.

Take it back, same cat codes and now a cam shaft sensor. Struggling to make it to work and not having any other ideas, replace all.

Get it back, feels good driving home. Sounds stronger so hopeful. Commute today, still had 1 quick loss in power on each leg, though no trouble starting after getting gas and when power was lost no slip light and check engine light has not come back on...

I am at a loss at this point. I haven't been able to reproduce for the shop as it usually occurres many miles into my trip. Don't want to take it back without a better idea of what to look at, but also am pretty nervous about something sinister lurking and getting stuck half way one day.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does the power loss happen at the same location? It may not apply, but I had a lady friend many years ago who had an Audi. This was right after they started showing up with onboard engine management computers (ECM). Her car would run poorly after about 10 minutes into her drive to work, for about 30 seconds or so. Then, it would run fine and she never had any trouble driving home... Or anywhere else for that matter, only driving to work.

Long story short, the mechanic found that she drove by a large radio transmitter on the way to work, but not going home. He drove the car by it and sure enough it lost power. Apparently, something in the ECM was sensitive to the radio frequency coming out of that antenna.

Not saying that you have the same problem, but if it happens at the same part of your route, maybe look for something that could be specific to that area. Try a different route and see if the problem happens?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happening at seemingly random points in the commute, though that interference is an interesting failure mode...

I don't think it's always with my headlights on. I usually do have them on for the commute with lots of single lane highways, but I would guess I haven't every time.

Did happen again today. This time check engine and slip lights came back on. Happened on my normal commute in today and then also on a shorter 2 mile drive into town at lunch at around 40 mph. First time I've experienced that, albeit since this started 90% of my driving is the long commute. Haven't pulled new check engine codes yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happening at seemingly random points in the commute, though that interference is an interesting failure mode...

I don't think it's always with my headlights on. I usually do have them on for the commute with lots of single lane highways, but I would guess I haven't every time.

Did happen again today. This time check engine and slip lights came back on. Happened on my normal commute in today and then also on a shorter 2 mile drive into town at lunch at around 40 mph. First time I've experienced that, albeit since this started 90% of my driving is the long commute. Haven't pulled new check engine codes yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I'm reading your original post correctly, you have replaced the clutch, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position senssor, and multiple catalytic converters because you were perceiving a momentary loss of power from time to time plus an occasional hard time starting it when warm. Is that correct? If it is, you need a new mechanic.

I don't mean that in a cruel way, but that kind of parts changing in response to OBD codes is not troubleshooting and won't solve the problem anytime soon, and if you you aren't very lucky, ever. Strongly recommend a new mechanic and/or a service manual for yourself to start methodically troubleshooting instead of code chasing.

In the meantime, check the condition of the oil. Very dirty oil can sometimes cause these sensors to behave erratically and cause the cosmetic S you have described (except mf or the clutch slipping which can't be a problem since you had a new one out in).

·
Registered
15 Posts
The symptoms you described sound similar to what my 09 was doing. Replacing the passenger side camshaft position sense fixed it. But you say that you did that, and the problem persists. Did you replace driver's side as well? Sounds stupid, but I would double check that they were installed correctly. I only say that because the symptoms are eerily similar, though I have an automatic and yours sounds manual. Perhaps new sensor was bad? Perhaps issue with electrical from the sensors? I would look to troubleshoot from the position sensors going forward. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It could be the PCM running a test on the EGR while you are driving.

It's part of a normal test that runs when you are cruising. It's considered an intrusive test. I'm not 100% sure on what else Nissan checks during the test, often the computer is checking response to short term fuel trims and MAP voltages at the same time.

So, it could be signs of a bad EGR, and it's just tripping other codes.

Instead of resetting the codes and turning the CEL off I recommend leaving it on and letting it turn itself off when the problem is resolved. It may take a few trips to allow the monitors run and verify things are ok now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The symptoms you described sound similar to what my 09 was doing. Replacing the passenger side camshaft position sense fixed it. But you say that you did that, and the problem persists. Did you replace driver's side as well? Sounds stupid, but I would double check that they were installed correctly. I only say that because the symptoms are eerily similar, though I have an automatic and yours sounds manual. Perhaps new sensor was bad? Perhaps issue with electrical from the sensors? I would look to troubleshoot from the position sensors going forward. Good luck.
I can’t beloeve the bad advice on this post. YOUR ADVICE WAS PERFECT!! Same thing with my 05 Frontier. Replaced one cam sensor, still did it so we replaced the other. Working perfect. Man no wonder people dump loads of cash on problems with no solution. This post resolve is all over the place!! But good job on your call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts