Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I had purchased a 2016 Pro 4x just a few months ago and am adding a few little things to it to make it "mine". Since I live in Wisconsin I am adding heated mirrors; the vehicle was purchased in Arizona and does not have a heated rear window nor does it have any kind of heating button for a rear window. I don't even know what that switch would look like. I looked at my user's manual and it doesn't picture or comment on any of this. Would very much like to know if the heated mirrors will work without too much rewiring? That's one of projects. Anyway - found this forum and thought it might be a good one to belong so I may benefit from others with the same kind of vehicle. Thank you and have an enjoyable day!

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
Does your truck have sliding rear glass? Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you could only get rear defrost with the one piece rear window.

Adding heated mirror glass is not too hard, it is easiest to swap out the glass from your mirrors with heated versions and run new wires down in to the kick panel area and tap in to the wires that are powered when the defrost is turned on. The power plugs on heated and unheated mirrors are different, so unless you get the corresponding door harness, it is not a plug and play.

If you do some searching on the forum, you should find it. Though I haven't done the swap, I bought two used OEM heated mirrors (I looked for ones with damaged bodies or big scratches to save money ) and popped the glass out and tossed the bodies and will swap the glass in to my mirrors.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to the Club. Keep us updated as you progress on the project($). Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your truck have sliding rear glass? Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you could only get rear defrost with the one piece rear window.

Adding heated mirror glass is not too hard, it is easiest to swap out the glass from your mirrors with heated versions and run new wires down in to the kick panel area and tap in to the wires that are powered when the defrost is turned on. The power plugs on heated and unheated mirrors are different, so unless you get the corresponding door harness, it is not a plug and play.

If you do some searching on the forum, you should find it. Though I haven't done the swap, I bought two used OEM heated mirrors (I looked for ones with damaged bodies or big scratches to save money ) and popped the glass out and tossed the bodies and will swap the glass in to my mirrors.
Thanks for your response. So far I purchased two of the trailer towing mirrors made specifically the Frontier. I haven't tried to install it yet because the son is using the truck. Good to hear about the split glass rear window which is what I have. Do you know what activates the heated mirror function? Do they activate when the front windshield defogger switch is pushed? I have attached pictures of the new mirrors. The little white rectangular looking piece is the electrical connector terminal. I am hoping that harness connector configuration is exactly what I will find once I start with my exchange. The new mirror also has three mounting studs and have my fingers crossed that I do not have to take the interior door panels off to get to them! Again your comments have been quite insightful.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck with the heated mirrors. That is mod I would like to add *** well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

For "ShizzY' Thanks for your response. So far I purchased two of the trailer towing mirrors made specifically the Frontier. I haven't tried to install it yet because the son is using the truck. Good to hear about the split glass rear window which is what I have. Do you know what activates the heated mirror function? Do they activate when the front windshield defogger switch is pushed? I have attached pictures of the new mirrors. The little white rectangular looking piece is the electrical connector terminal. I am hoping that harness connector configuration is exactly what I will find once I start with my exchange. The new mirror also has three mounting studs and have my fingers crossed that I do not have to take the interior door panels off to get to them! Again your comments have been quite insightful.

P.S. I thought that the heating elements of the heated mirrors are on some kind of timed circuit that only allows them to operate for around ten minutes before they are automatically turned off? I believe rear window heater operations are similar. When you mentioned the defroster I am assuming you are referring to the front defroster correct?

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
The front and rear defrost are on separate circuits, but, there is a high chance that the wiring for the rear defrost is under the dash to some degree, just not the portion that would connect to the dash switch (which does not exist in your truck) and possibly the wiring that would go back to the rear defrost grid (which again, does not exist in your truck).

If you bought heated tow mirrors, there is a high chance the connectors will not match up to the connectors on the doors. Your two options would be to purchase new door harnesses or, swap the plugs from your old mirrors, leave the two wires for the heater element out and run your own connectors and wires down in to the kick panel and find the defrost circuit and tap in.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/how-install-heated-mirrors-24476/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Great insight of what I am about to experience. I reviewed the pictured instructions and the fuse block may be a bit different on my 2016 but it does give me an idea of the Nissan engineering practices. Thanks a million - the only thing I am missing now is someone to do it for me - LOL! I was hoping not to get into the door but appears that I will wind up doing just that - another cup of coffee and the smile might come back. Couldn't find the smiley face so I'll just write it in - Smiley Face!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts