Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I have been working on making a short shifter and we are getting very close to having the design complete -

How many of you guys would be interested in one of these?

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how many of you guys would be interested in one if the price tag was $250 give or take a little?

and it would be a straight out swap, you could do it yourself, but it is looking like a whole new assembly may need to be made

·
Registered
176 Posts
EB_05_NISMO said:
I'm interested, but might not be able to jump on board right away. Also I have a general idea, but what exactly does a short shifter do?
lol... you're willing dump 250 for something and dont exactly know what it does? too rich for me...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would probably be interested in one but I do not know a whole lot about the features and benefits of one. I know they are used on some of the ricers and race vehicles for quicker shifting. Are there any disatvantages of one?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Im Interested Will...
Oh Wait...
Bahah. Damn U 6sp Guys

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
our shifting is very long. We definitly will only gain from this and some prefer a smaller shift point to point. I would because i get tired of driving standard and a shorter shift point would help me out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would like one but I wouldn't pay over $150.

Can you make seat relocator brakets so I can more my seat back another inch or two?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
basically you lengthen the lower section of the shaft so that the travel between shift points decreases. less effort, faster shifts.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
My experience with short shifters is that the throws get very notchy and little harder to get into the gears. Maybe it was just me, but some friends have also experienced this as well with their short shifters however. If this is the tendency of short shifters or maybe poorly made ones, will this be addressed in the development of this product?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
EB_05_NISMO said:
I get the idea of a short shifter, but I was curious about the mechanical details and exactly how it works.
Hold a sharpened pencil with your thumb and pointer about 1" from the botton with the point on a piece of paper. Using your other hand, move the eraser back and forth so that you mark about 1" on the paper. Now slide your thumb and forefinger above the midway point on the pencil and move the eraser back and forth again overwriting the same 1" mark on the paper. Notice how much less you have to move the pencil back and forth when holding the pencil above the midway point -- that's a shorter "throw" of the shift knob which can result in quicker shifts with less effort. You achieve the same effect with your shifter by moving the pivot point higher.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Personally, I'll probably end up going with a longer throw since I'm thinking of increasing the length of the shifter (without modifying the pivot point) by inserting a section with a bend in it so that the knob will be higher and further back. I think the position will be more comfortable for me even if I have a longer throw.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would love one of these but that's definitely out of my price range with christmas so close...I wish someone would just give me a grand that I could use to buy all your products.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the only reason why i am saying so high is because i have already begun the r & d process on this and it's looking like a whole new shifter will be needed and not just an adapter plate like i would prefer

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm definitely interested, pending of course the amount of trouble it would be for the install. If the shifter ends up in quality like the crank pulley, I don't think the price is that bad, especially if it's a whole new mechanism. I paid almost 200 for a B&M for my transam, and it was just a handle and plate.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
yeah 200-250 is a good price for a well made product which is what will does, i want one really bad but like the power steering pulley, i'm not going to be anywhere close to being able to buy one until at least next year. drew says the ones he's made for his SE-R sentra and 350z were amazing if you have driven a sports car with one and like the feel. he said it was a quality product.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wperdigon said:
well the only reason why i am saying so high is because i have already begun the r & d process on this and it's looking like a whole new shifter will be needed and not just an adapter plate like i would prefer
Yeah isnt that weird how everything on that shifter comes together as one part? I kept the one i ordered for you and I moved the "donut" where the shifter boot and the knob rest on down about 2" to where the top of the rubber filled cone is and welded it up. It looks great at that height. I hated the semi-truck long a$$ shifter, and im enjoying the shorter throws and the more positive feel. Oh yeah, I cant wait to get the pulley i ordered from you-your work looks top notch.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I dont really need one, especially if the price is $250. I've got my natural rapid asian reflexes that will do the job. lol, jk. I wouldnt really benefit from this new product that you're making since im not a speed freak...I like that you're helping us on the speed and power part of our truck, but many more would be interested in upgrading our suspension. But sounds to me, you're more familiar with speed and power, seeing that you worked with the se-r and the 350zs'. Maybe you have worked with the suspension on the cars...i dont know. If i had a sentra se-r then i would most definitely buy this type of product, but i didnt intend on buying a truck, so i could race it. But i can understand this product isn't just made for people who race. I guess it would make life a little bit easier for our everyday driving :S. Sorry about the long comment. Should've just said, not interested lol.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts