Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just installed the volant cold air intake as you can see in the buying a CAI thread. I drove it around town, then got some gas and then did some light four-wheeling. During the wheeling my SES light came on. Any ideas? I figure it must be something with the intake install since I just did it. I know about checking the codes but wont be able to do that til tomorow.
Any help for now would be great.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If i had to guess i would say its something to do with your mass airflow sensor

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
fuel cap?
could be one of the intake sensors plugs come loose or isn't indexed correctly.
depending on the filter you used, oil from the filter could have fouled the sensor too....

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before install?

Did you install the MAF sensor back in the new tube the same as it was in the factory tube? I know that sounds weird but I swear I read somewhere that you could put it in the other way and throw a code.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before install?

Did you install the MAF sensor back in the new tube the same as it was in the factory tube? I know that sounds weird but I swear I read somewhere that you could put it in the other way and throw a code.
i also read that

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it would run that way. If both of you read it, then live and learn.

Clint

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the above responses guys.

Alec, that was my first thought also.

Mathster, fuel cap was the first thing I actually checked. Seemed tight to me.

Westracing, I read about disconnecting the batter in another thread but it didn't say anything about negative or positive. When I installed it I disconnected the positive, could this be my problem?

As for the MAF sensor, when I had the new intake first installed last night, I put it in upside down (I know I'm an idiot) I started the truck and it ran for a second then died. I freaked out but then realized right away what I did, flipped it back and it ran fine. I hope this isn't what is causing the SES light.

Anyways, I just disconnected the NEGATIVE terminal and the SES light is not on anymore. Hopefully it will not comeback on.

U guys think it will?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
You need to just read the code man. I have an OBDII reader/eraser that I just leave in my truck. Ive only used it once on my truck, but it also works great on everyone else's car. I got it at Costco for just like $30. No reason to buy one of the $100 ones at autozone or something.

The one I got from costco looks just like this. All it is. Called the CodeKey.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Thanks for all the above responses guys.

Alec, that was my first thought also.

Mathster, fuel cap was the first thing I actually checked. Seemed tight to me.

Westracing, I read about disconnecting the batter in another thread but it didn't say anything about negative or positive. When I installed it I disconnected the positive, could this be my problem?

As for the MAF sensor, when I had the new intake first installed last night, I put it in upside down (I know I'm an idiot) I started the truck and it ran for a second then died. I freaked out but then realized right away what I did, flipped it back and it ran fine. I hope this isn't what is causing the SES light.

Anyways, I just disconnected the NEGATIVE terminal and the SES light is not on anymore. Hopefully it will not comeback on.

U guys think it will?
Hard to say. Keep us posted. The SES came on only a day or so after install yes? So if it's not back on by the end of the week chances are you're in the clear. Next mod you perform, unplug the NEGATIVE terminal.

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
You need to just read the code man. I have an OBDII reader/eraser that I just leave in my truck. Ive only used it once on my truck, but it also works great on everyone else's car. I got it at Costco for just like $30. No reason to buy one of the $100 ones at autozone or something.

The one I got from costco looks just like this. All it is. Called the CodeKey.

A well spent $30.

Clint

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok it came back on. I had the code checked. p0171=engine running lean bank 1.

What did I do and what should I do now?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I'm only guessing here, but something is out of whack with the MAF sensor. Check the MAF connection to make sure it's solid and make sure it's securely mounted to the tube.

Also, what filter did you get? The conventional oiled filter or the powercore?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just researched p0171 some more and it said air leaks down from the maf sensor, a malfunctioning or broken maf sensor or an over oiled aftermarket filter. I have the powercore. Im going to go check it for leaks and maf connection.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I just researched p0171 some more and it said air leaks down from the maf sensor, a malfunctioning or broken maf sensor or an over oiled aftermarket filter. I have the powercore. Im going to go check it for leaks and maf connection.
^did you remember to connect the hose thing from the DS valve cover to the Int. tube?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I'll bet money that the rubber seal around the bottom of the MAF isn't sealing correctly against the tube. Also, bust out a ratchet and tighten all the hose clamps down good and tight.

^did you remember to connect the hose thing from the DS valve cover to the Int. tube?
Looks like he did...

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae319/pweinland/011.jpg

OK, did some more research, did you use the Volant MAF gasket or did you use the stock one? Read this page...

Forum Deal: Volant CAI w/PowerCore, $216 (Expires 12/31/2009) - Page 48 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK the MAF was a little loose, wasn't moving much but it could move around a little. The MAF screw holes line up just a hair off from the tube. One of the screws was very loose. I tightened them both up really tight, there is no budge from the MAF now. Hopefully that was it, if it was how will I know? Will the light just turn off after some driving? Or should I do the battery thing?

ps: I also tightened all the hose clamps to be extra safe. Oh and i used the stock gasket, I couldn't tell how to get the stock one off so I just used it.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I do believe disconnecting the battery (negative terminal) will reset the code. To be honest, I'm not too sure how to get the OEM gasket off either. I used the stock one when I installed my K&N. As long as it's good and tight you should be good. Hopefully someone will chime in with direct Volant experience and tell us how to take the stock gasket off. I've got a vested interest in getting this solved since my intake shows up on Weds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I installed my Volant CAI about a month ago and everything was fine then all of a sudden a couple days ago my ses light comes on. I checked the code and it was the same as yours (p0171=engine running lean bank 1). Also I noticed the engine was idling higher than normal. I reset the code, cleaned my MAF, and everything has been fine so far. I checked all the other clamps and hoses and everything was tight. I don't like the way the MAF seals on the Volant tube. I used the gasket they provided and removed the stock one but I'm tempted to put a sealant on it if the code comes back.

I never disconnected my battery after the Volant install but it's been a month, the fuel trim must have adapted by now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.