Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried search feature and didn't get any hits on this subject. About 3 months ago my speedometer starting acting erratically. It would bounce from 0 to whatever the current speed was and would sometimes just stay at 0, and others work fine at current speed. Cruise also will only work if speedometer isn't acting foolish. Found topics on this and determined that it was probably the transmission speed sensor, which I have ordered and will replace this weekend. Tonight while driving, I noticed that my temp gauge is now fluctuating from the middle and will drop down and go back up. This is new and I am hoping it is not related to the speedometer issue, which could be a cluster problem or possibly the ECU. All other gauges are working properly with no issues. Anyone have any insight into this. It is a 2002 Frontier XE, 3.3 NA, 2 wheel Drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, I have read that thread. The problem is(and it may still be the cluster), only my speedometer is acting crazy, and sometimes it works fine. All other gauges are functioning properly and mileage is correct....well, it doesn't say 999999. It will only advance when the speedo is actually working. Sometimes speedo needle just sits at 0, others it is bouncing between 0 and the actual mileage, sometimes it works fine. Is there any way to check the cluster or the VSS? I have the new sensor , but hate to just replace it for the sake of replacing it and it not correct the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
The only way to test it properly would be to remove the cluster and hook the two wires from the speed sensor up to an oscilloscope and view the pattern while driving...preferably with a second person or have the vehicle's wheels lifted off of the ground. You could use an AC voltmeter to view the changing voltage, but it would not show if there was a break in the signal. The speed sensor is essentially an AC voltage generator. It generate approximately 1 volt for every 10 MPH.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but I decided to just replace it and see what happened. Once I got the freaking clip off the old one and swapped gear over, had it finished in less than 2 minutes. Speedometer works perfectly now, cruise also works with no issues. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts