Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm installing this unit in my truck today and I just have a couple ?'s:

1. Where is a good/easy place to connect the speed signal input?

2. Where is a good/easy place (in cab) to connect the reverse gear signal input?

While I'm in the asking mood, let me throw a few more out there. Lets say I don't need to watch DVD's YET but will in the future. For now, can I just leave the parking brake wire disconnected or will this screw with the operation of the unit? Also, I won't be using a back up camera but might add this later. So, same question, can I just leave the reverse gear signal input disconnected?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Im pretty sure the unit will function fine without the parking brake or reverse wires hooked up, but like you said, those features would not be available until you did.

I installed an Alpine double din in my previous car without hooking up any of that and it worked fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok sorry no answr to your first or second question but the dvd thing you can just ground out the arking brake wire to something behind the radio just make sure there isnt paint there as it wont act as a ground and therefore wont work

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can dig up the answers for you in a little bit.... I installed the F90BT last year, but in the mean time check out avic411.com and search this site for "avic" or "pioneer"...

Nate

edit...

posted a bit hastily before-

1. You can route the speed input wire to the plug for the instrument cluster... I will help you find the detailed post with pictures. OR... if your truck came with the RF stereo then I believe the speed input wire is part of the original radio harness.

2. I believe most people are connecting the reverse wire to the harness in the passenger kick panel... this is also where the trailer harness plugs in.

Furthermore... assuming the X series is as similar to the F series that it replace all the install info for the F AVIC's should apply... this means that you need to do the "hardware bypass" in order to input info into the navi while the vehicle is moving as well as play video DVD's while moving but keep in mind that in most, if not all, states videos playing in view of the driver are illegal.

Also... I recommend paying the $29.95 for MSN Direct if for no other reason that the service is to be terminated on 1/1/2012, meaning that your radio will lose one of it's many abilities... kinda sad really. Anyway, the $29.95 covers the service until the termination date.

Nate

·
Registered
347 Posts
ok sorry no answr to your first or second question but the dvd thing you can just ground out the arking brake wire to something behind the radio just make sure there isnt paint there as it wont act as a ground and therefore wont work
You may have experienced a different result, but this was not sufficient in my case. The "hardware bypass" needs to be done which involves moving a pin in the pioneer harness.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Badabing! Jackpot... here ya go...
Speed wire (VSS)
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/2005-2007-vss-wire-install-34080/

F series Install
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/avic-f700bt-install-guide-lots-pictures-34420/

Bypass (for F Series)
AVIC411.com • View topic - AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide)

Post where they state X series bypass is the same as F series
AVIC411.com • View topic - X Series Bypass

If you have any other Q's let me know! I researched the crap out of this before I installed mine... like I said it's been a year so I just have to brush the dust off my memory banks.

Oh yeah... Also, the GPS antenna... it's magnetic and I just stuck mine to the crash bar that runs through the inside of the dash behind the passenger airbag and I have always had awesome signal and no wires running outside of my truck. I will also be helping a buddy install a X910 in his '08 soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you don't hook up the parking brake wire, you will not be able to access navigation menus.

and just grounding it will do nothing for you, but give you an error message saying that the system has detected an incorrect hook up of the parking brake wire.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How did the install go?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah, as soon as you get it for me!

Hopefully I'll be getting it soon.
Ha! This thread will be convienent when we do yours since all the links are in one spot now. Read over the links to get an idea of what we have ahead of us. I did the mod and soldered the two harnesses at the kitchen table the night before I did my install... the fun part is removing the instrument cluster on a nearly new truck to run the VSS wire!

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did this mod and it works great. I can access the DVD or GPS functions without stopping or pulling the e-brake. I did not connect my VSS wire.
VSS helps with gps, you should hook it up. There will be no effects on using GPS functions or routing........and yes even dvd playback

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did the install go?
Not bad. The fun part was tearing apart the instrument cluster. Now that its done, Im not sure what I was so worried about. Funny thing is that I installed it exactly how pioneer states and I have full DVD function and all Nav controls all the time. Driving or not, it all works. Not sure what I did, but Im not complaining.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
thanks for the info, I have a 700BT I just got for 147 bucks coming this week. Will use this thread for my install. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not bad. The fun part was tearing apart the instrument cluster. Now that its done, Im not sure what I was so worried about. Funny thing is that I installed it exactly how pioneer states and I have full DVD function and all Nav controls all the time. Driving or not, it all works. Not sure what I did, but Im not complaining.
Sweet. Yeah I was sweating the cluster part myself... but it was a piece of cake... just something a little unnerving about pulling such a vital piece out of a "new" vehicle. Odd about the full functions w/o bypass... maybe Pioneer has removed the restrictions?

thanks for the info, I have a 700BT I just got for 147 bucks coming this week. Will use this thread for my install. :)
I'll do your install if you give me those new wheels! :laugh:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wondered about Pioneer removing the restrictions. Every time I access the GPS or DVD functions, I get a warning dialog box that I have to acknowledge by touching the OK button.

VSS helps with gps, you should hook it up. There will be no effects on using GPS functions or routing........and yes even dvd playback
I would if I could find a better way than to shove a naked wire into the plug of my cluster. that's about the most ghetto mod Ive seen yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
how is that ghetto? If you feel it is ghetto, go to radio shack and get "pins" and add it the end of the wire, then push it in the plug.

you could also get it here:
VSS Wire: LOCATION 4- 2ND ROW FROM TOP OF ECM 4TH POSITION TO RIGHT OF BOLT IN ECM
VSS Wire Color: GREEN/BLACK
VSS Pulse: 2000
VSS Tach Wire: LOCATION 16- 2 PIN CONNECTOR AT DISTRIBUTOR

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wondered about Pioneer removing the restrictions. Every time I access the GPS or DVD functions, I get a warning dialog box that I have to acknowledge by touching the OK button..
Look here:
AVIC411.com • View topic - skip navi warning nag screen at avic

REsults may vary, by that I mean that it was before I upgraded the firmware tot he latest it would take me to different screens on startup, now that I have 3.0.2 on there it goes right to the Nav screen on start up.

I also have a reverse wire picture here somewhere if anyone needs it, for 2005 CC manual.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts