Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Installing two 12v accessory outlets behind dash

24K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Jaybird33081 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.. I have a 2010 LE with the RF sound system, and I need to add two 12v switched accessory outlets behind the radio somewhere.. I'd like to do this for two reasons:

1) I purchased Nuvi mounting kit for my Garmin Nuvi 755t, and would like to retain the traffic capability of the unit

and

2) I have a ProClip mounted to the left of the stereo which holds Palm Pre Touchstone charger. When I'm in the truck, I will often stick the Palm Pre on the touchstone, and plug an aux wire from the top of the phone to the aux jack on the stereo.

Currently, it looks a bit cluttered, and I want to clean things up a bit. The charge wire for the Touchstone and the aux cable both run across the front of my stereo, and I would like to modify the side of the nav housing so that I can feed these two wires through. The cigarette lighter adapter for the charger I would like plugged into one outlet, behind the radio. The aux cable I just want re-routed so it exits somewhere on the left of the console, near the aux jack.

I've included a picture of what it currently looks like. I have not yet installed the nav housing, as I want to do this all in one shot so I dont have to keep taking things apart. I am working off a combination of the the how-tos in these two forum posts (and stole one of the pictures of the housing from one of them):

GPS Docking station for 2009 - Updated with Amplifier and Mute working - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
and

GPS recommendation for the factory docking station - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

I've modified the 2009 housing already by completely removing the speakers and amplifier from the housing since I have no intention of using them (the internal speaker of the 755 is sufficient). Likewise, I have also removed the included dock and replaced it with the dock that came with my 755t, which includes the traffic receiver attached to its power plug. Now all that is left is to take the truck apart and put this stuff in..

So my question is this.. I purchased a hardwire 12v outlet from Radio Shack, along with a 2-socket Y-adapter. I want to tap into an accessory line for the outlet, and then use the Y-adapter to provide power to the two cigarette lighter adapters for both the Garmin and the Palm Pre. The Palm Pre adapter input power is 12V @ 1.0A. Likewise, the Garmin adapter is also 12V @ 1.0A. Would tapping into the green wire w/black stripe going into the back of the radio present a problem here? Or would I be better off tapping the power wire that goes to the switched outlet in the center console? If so, what is the easiest way for me to go about picking up that wire? I should also add that I would like the existing unswitched outlet in the dash to retain its existing functionality.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would tap into the back of the switched outlet, and NOT the stereo power. To access the back of it, remove the panel under the glove box. On my truck the lower outlet is the switched outlet, and it is powered by a 20 AMP fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Thanks -- but the 2010 is different.. You have two outlets on the dash in that location. On the 2010, there is only one outlet there -- and it is unswitched, 20A. The spot where you have the 2nd outlet is occupied by the AUX IN jack for the stereo. I believe on '09-'10 non-Rockford Fosgate models, there is just a blank there. The 2nd outlet, which is switched, is located in the back of the center console.

I think I will be going for the one in the center console -- it seems easy enough to get the console pieces off and run the wiring to it. That circuit is protected with a 15A fuse, while the radio circuit is only 10A. Additionally, while the outlet in the console is on its own circuit, the radio is a different story -- in addition to the radio, it looks like the BCM, the keyless entry system, the power windows, and the security system all run on that circuit too -- unless I'm misunderstanding the wiring diagram.

Rick

Attachments

#5 ·
Isn't that an ignition wire (ON) as opposed to accessory? If I'm going to tap off of there, wouldn't I want to tap into the Green/Yellow on the ignition harness?

#8 ·
you can use ign or acc for that, you arent drawing much, ign is fine, i use white/green on my 08 for things i want to come on when the truck is running, use acc if you just want them on when you are just sitting in the truck (red) or G/Y shows as second acc, meter these wires to make sure they only energize when the key is in that position

#9 ·
Sounds good.. And just to be sure of fuse protection on what I'm doing.. The hardwired outlet has a 10A fuse, the Y-adapter has a 10A, the Garmin has a 3A, and the Pre uses a 3A. And to correct something from before, both devices use 1.0A @ 5V -- not 12V as originally stated.

#10 ·
Just in case anyone was interested.. I finally got around to my project today.. Weather had not been all that great, but today it got up to 30 and was sunny, so I figured it was a good day..

This is what I ended up doing.. I gutted the amp and speakers out of the 2009-2010 nav housing.. I drilled a hole on the left side and inserted a rubber grommet.. Routed the power wire for the Palm Touchstone charger, as well as the mini stereo line cord through that.. I routed the audio wire behind the dash and had it come outnear the aux jack.

For power, I ended up using a Bussman Add-A-Circuit, and added it to the circuit for the console power outlet (switched). The Add-A-Circuit provides two fuse holders - one for the original circuit (20A) and one for the tapped circuit (max 10A). To that new circuit, I wired up a 12V outlet, with a Y-adapter. (Outlet and y-adapter are both fuse protected as well). Tucked everything behind the empty area below the HVAC control system (behind the switches on the bottom). Pictures are the end result..

Thanks everyone for the help..

Rick

Attachments

#21 ·
Just in case anyone was interested.. I finally got around to my project today.. Weather had not been all that great, but today it got up to 30 and was sunny, so I figured it was a good day..

This is what I ended up doing.. I gutted the amp and speakers out of the 2009-2010 nav housing.. I drilled a hole on the left side and inserted a rubber grommet.. Routed the power wire for the Palm Touchstone charger, as well as the mini stereo line cord through that.. I routed the audio wire behind the dash and had it come outnear the aux jack.

For power, I ended up using a Bussman Add-A-Circuit, and added it to the circuit for the console power outlet (switched). The Add-A-Circuit provides two fuse holders - one for the original circuit (20A) and one for the tapped circuit (max 10A). To that new circuit, I wired up a 12V outlet, with a Y-adapter. (Outlet and y-adapter are both fuse protected as well). Tucked everything behind the empty area below the HVAC control system (behind the switches on the bottom). Pictures are the end result..

Thanks everyone for the help..

Rick
Just a few questions. 1 did you buy just the housing for the GPS? As in, does it just snap in place? I have a 2011 and there is just a tray that snaps in. Do you have to use that specific Garmin with it? If possible I wouldn't mind having that type of tray and use my current garmin in it. 2. Which fuse in the fuse box did you tap to get it to turn off when you turn the truck off?

#12 ·
Not as easy as adding the fuse tap.. Plus you are then splitting the available current (20A on that circuit) between the two outlets. The fuse tap lets you continue to have 20A available at the outlet plus 10A on your added outlet. I had contemplated many of these idea prior to starting, but found the add-a-circuit to be the best solution, and safe too.

#15 ·
Its not a switch.. Its the AUX in jack for the Rockford Fosgate stereo.. I was merely showing how I rerouted the audio cable instead of it hanging across the front of the stereo.

#17 ·
help for a Newbie

I would also like to use the garmin FM power cable. I just received the 2010 housing unit. But I'm extremely new to this, so here's my question. What would be the easiest way to install a 12v socket? I know you had a few ideas in mind. And exactly what parts would i need to buy? The Bussman Add-A-Circuit i saw online had 1 red pin connector. (it was this http://www.cooperbussmann.com/images/3c2dce34-cf0b-43a1-aabf-d886ccd13aad.JPG ) so how would i wire a 12v socket to that? thanks for your help and patience.

#18 ·
I would also like to use the garmin FM power cable. I just received the 2010 housing unit. But I'm extremely new to this, so here's my question. What would be the easiest way to install a 12v socket?

Autozone sells the Add-A-Circuit.. Radio Shack has a 12v outlet you can get:
Enercell 12VDC Vehicle Power Accessory Outlet : Car Adapters | RadioShack.com

You should have enough length on the red wire of the RS outlet to crimp it on to the Bussman red wire connector. The fusebox is on the passenger side, to the ride of the glove compartment. Get some tie wraps as well -- you dont want the wire hanging around in there.. There is plenty of room behind the heater controls for keeping the outlet. I suggest getting everything in place, then wrap the whole outlet with the plugged in Garmin plug in electrical tape so that it's "soft" -- then also tie wrap to something behind the heater controls -- the idea is you dont want it rattling around hitting things.

As far as the black wire on the 12V outlet -- you will can run that up and connect it to the top screw that holds the radio assembly in place (under the plastic tray -- see the instructions that came with the nav housing on which side is reccomended)

Also -- in my case, I gutted the nav housing of the speakers and the amp because they wont work with anything other than the Nissan nav unit. When you do that, the space where the amp board was mounted will give you a good spot to mount the FM receiver from the Garmin plug. I put double sided tape on that, stuck it to the plastic. Then I also drilled 2 holes on each side of it and tie wrapped it down to the plastic.

I went a little crazy with securing everything -- extra rattles drive me nuts.

Rick

#19 ·
Thanks for the great reply. Sounds easy enough.

and just to double check, this will turn the navi on and off with the truck? it wont always be hot like the 12v on the dash? (that drives me nuts, i have my XM in there, and ALWAYS forget to turn it off)

I wonder why only the Nissan navi works with the built in speakers.

#20 ·
I'm reviving this old thread because I have a similar question.

I'm adding a behind the dash power outlet that I want powered constantly. In the 2012 Pro-4x none of the outlets are constant. Is it sensible to tap into pin #19 on the stock RF head unit's wiring harness (yellow wire) or just go straight to the fuse box? If fuse box is the place, which fuse is the constant power?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.