Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Frontier 2wd SE that I'm looking to install a trailer hitch. I checked around for prices of full installs & got a range from $330 to Nissan's quote of $380. One trailer place said I have to have a special coupler for the wiring so it doesn't short out my computer or it could void my warranty. Has anyone done a trailer hitch install & have any info about the wiring issue?
Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just buy the harness from the dealer and it comes with the plug and a couple relays that tell u how to do it then go to uhaul and buy a hitch i dont remember what it cost me but it was cheaper than anyone else and it lookt cleaner

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the dealer install a Nissan hitch when I bought my 2009 SE KC. They also installed a wiring connection harness. The truck is pre-wired for the hitch, basically, but you use either a 7-pin or 4-pin wiring adapter harness to connect into the main harness at the rear of the truck.

If you're considering a 7-pin connector, with electric trailer brakes. the truck is also pre-wired for the brake controller. But, similar to the adapter at the rear, you use an adapter harness at the front. Installing the brake controller was as simple as connecting the 4 wires of the controller to 4 of the 5 wires in the harness adapter (it included a wire to illuminate the controls on the brake controller, but mine has no illumination so I didn't use that one), plugging the connector in, and then mounting the controller somewhere. I actually spent more time trying to decide where to put the brake controller than I did wiring and connecting it... ended up putting it down on the side of the console, on the drivers side...

·
Registered
637 Posts
You can always check the auto recyclers. I got mine and a wrecking yard for $75 with hardware and wiring (except what is in the kick panel).

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I had a trailer shop do the install of the hitch, brakes and wiring, however, they did start taking about "splicing into this .. and splicing into that" ... which I am deathly afraid of due to previous experiences. I ran out to nissan and grabbed all the gubbins for the wiring ... relays/wiring/7pin receptical ect. for about 89 bucks. The guys at the trailer place took off about 150. in installation from the origional quote as the wiring from nissan was all plug and play.
If I had to go it all over again .. I would have done it all myself .. its that easy ...

d-mo

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did a write up when I installed my hitch. You can check it out here ->
http://nwfrontier.com/article.php?story=20090719165058951

Installing the hitch is 6 bolts and easy just remember to use a torque wrench!

As for the wiring harness you can get that from Courtesy Nissan (link to the part number is in my writeup).

The hitch I used was a hidden hitch not a OEM Nissan one.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts