Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased new shocks for my 2000 4x4 V6 CC and called around to see how much it would cost to install them. The dealer quoted $600(!!!), a small independent quoted $225 and Suspension Plus quoted $95.

Now, based on cost alone, I'm obviously very tempted to pay $95. The owner of the shop said doing the install was very straightforward which is why the cost is so low.

So, is the risk of botching the installation so remote that I could confidently have Suspension Plus do it or are there nuances to the installation such that you would recommend paying a higher price to have a Nissan mechanic do it?

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The install is easy it's the type of shock that will cost you. Cheap mechanic will probably go with a generic shock/monroe. You should try the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins are an upgrade to the Nissan stock, but should give you a better ride. Also they are more expensive.

In all honesty you could go to sears and buy the tools and DIY. Save the install costs and get some good shocks. Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yea go for it. I have the same truck as you year and all and im in the process of doing a 3in suspension lift, the shocks are easy to install. The only snag that i ran into is that i had to cut the bottom shock bolt because it would not come lose. Other than that is easy.
Im 17 and did it you can do it also:noworries:

·
Registered
939 Posts
the last time i had shocks installed was at pep-boys. it was $15 per shock plus the price of whatever shocks i wanted. i figured $60 was well worth not spending half a day loosening rusted bolts. it's probably worth it for $95 too. much more than that & i'd probably do it myself

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
honestly....$95 is even too much considering you've already got the shocks. have you looked under the truck? its a total of 8 bolts to remove and replace the shocks. it's easier than an oil change. do it yourself and save you money. its extremely straight forward.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Half a day loosening rusted bolts?

You could replace all the shocks front and rear in under an hour.

Like Houdini said, its 8 bolts. I want to say all you need is a 14mm and 12mm for the tops of the front shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Its Uber easy, grab a wrench and do it yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very easy to do don't waste your money!:itsfriday:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it myself!

I'm feeling some serious peer pressure! :)

O.K. I'll give it a shot. A couple questions though...

1. Is it necessary to remove the wheels?
  2. How hard should I tighten the shock bolts? Anyone got ft-lbs. torque values?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I have done it without removing the wheels but its easier if you do so on the front.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a detailed look at my truck and believe I can access all the bolts without removing the wheels. However, the thought occurred to me that the shocks will be compressed if I do not jack the truck up.

So, do I need to elevate the truck to unload the suspension or will the shocks be easily removable/installable either way?

Thanks for the inspiration all! I'm looking forward to tackling this one myself!

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
They will be compressed but you can compress them to pull them out and compress the new ones to put them in. Its not particularly easy but doable, and Im not a very strong guy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found these torque values. Do they seem reasonable? The top values seem low, but I'm ignorant here. Anyway, here they are:

Top of shock - 12-16 ft/lbs.
Bottom of shock - 87-108 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wish I had a good place to work on my truck. I nice garage with a nice, flat, cemented floor would rock.

I have no cover, on a slope, in gravel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, I'm looking at the torque specs in my Haynes repair manual for Frontier pickups (1998 thru 2004)

Torque Specfications FT-lbs (unless otherwise noted)

Front Suspension
Shock absorber
Upper mounting nut....................144 to 192 in-lbs
Lower mounting bolts..................87 to 108

Rear Suspension
Shock absorber
Upper and lower mounting nut/bolt...30 to 37

This is exactly copied out of the manual. Looks everything is FT-lbs except the front upper mounting nut. 144 to 192 in-lbs is 12 to 16 Ft-lbs btw.

Dale

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I'm looking at the torque specs in my Haynes repair manual for Frontier pickups (1998 thru 2004)

Torque Specfications FT-lbs (unless otherwise noted)

Front Suspension
Shock absorber
Upper mounting nut....................144 to 192 in-lbs
Lower mounting bolts..................87 to 108

Rear Suspension
Shock absorber
Upper and lower mounting nut/bolt...30 to 37

This is exactly copied out of the manual. Looks everything is FT-lbs except the front upper mounting nut. 144 to 192 in-lbs is 12 to 16 Ft-lbs btw.

Dale
Looks like we're in sync on the front shock values! I wasn't aware there were separate specs for the rear. Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One last question: Upon installation of the shocks, is it advisable to use Loctite on the nuts and bolts?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
^ Not a necessity but a little locktite cant hurt.

·
Registered
740 Posts
What if you blow a shock and need to replace it? Lol

Just a quick inspection to make sure the bolts and nuts are still there wont kill you.

Plus if the shock did come undone it wouldn't make the truck dangerous to drive such as if a TRE or ball joint came undone. You would notice the ride difference and fix it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts