Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This is not an advertisement for any product...I am simply sharing what and where I got the various items for your benefit...but do your research to be sure)

I installed a roof rack today on my 2012 Nissan crew cab. I have never installed anything on a vehicle before, so this was totally new. I have to tell you, it went GREAT! I ordered the rack off from Amazon ECOTRIC Aluminum Adjustable Roof Rack/Rail Crossbar Luggage Cargo Carrier for 2005-2017 Nissan Frontier 4 Door. It was only $167. Load bearing weight is 150 lbs. The only problem with the rack was there were no instructions and the 6M bolts were not long enough. Quick Fix, I went to Lowes and picked up 6M #20's 1inch bolts: they worked great. As far as instructions. It is obvious how it goes together, but you do have to piece the kit together in a certain logically pattern. If you get one part wrong, the you will see why and switch it. (I did several times but eventually got it figured out)

I did not take off the cab liner. Instead, I invested in a rivnut tool and watched a couple YouTube videos and it was pretty straight forward. I ordered it from Amazon: Rivet Nut Tool, Meterk Professional Hand Rod Rivet Gun Setter Kit with 7Metric & SAE Mandrels and 35pcs Rivnuts, Labor-Saving Design, Rugged Carrying Case. I also ordered Boeray M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 Aluminum Alloy Rivnut Flat Head Threaded Rivet Nut Insert Nutsert Cap Rivet Assortment kit 100pcs because you will need extra M6 rivnuts. The installation of the rivnuts went really well, no problem at all.

I actually practice my first rivnut on my gas grill lid! haha. It worked great. Pretty easy actually.

Here is the key: put the rack together as if it was mounted. Set it on your roof and get it set where it needs to go. Don't worry about it being a little off, it all bolts down nice and tight. Then, mark the holes with a black sharpie. Then, I took a 1/16th metal punch and hammer and put a slight dent in the middle of the sharpie mark while the rack was still in place. After all 16 holes are marked and punched, remove the rack. Use a new metal drill bit for the M6 rivnut. You can but them at Lowes or Home Depot or Amazon. After all the holes are drilled and you have check to make sure the M6 rivnut fits. Set the rack back on the roof, align the holes, double check to make sure you got it right. (I had no issues at all)
I then took my Dremel tool with a metal grinder bit to smooth the top of each hole so there is no ridge (you want the rivnut to seat nicely). After they are all smooth, then I taped off the surface with paper and used spray primer to coat each hole to protect against rusting...just in case. I then took a 1 foot square pic of paper sack and cut out a 1 inch circle. I used the 1 foot guide over each hole, one at a time, and sprayed Flex-Seal, which goops up about 1/8 of an inch. After they are all about dry, insert all rivnuts. Then put your roof rack back in place and install all M6 bolts.

If you have any questions, let me know. I am not a professional installer. This was my first attempt at something like this. I watched a half a dozen YouTube vids and went to town. I had all my supplies in 1 week. It took me about 3 hours to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looks great! I don’t have the guts to drill holes in my roof.

Reactions: Kevin.reitan

·
Registered
146 Posts
You did a great job. Looks stellar!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks awesome! Correct me if I’m wrong, are there pre tapped mounting points?
Rivnuts are like a threaded rivet that you crimp into the drilled hole with that hand tool. It is a cool way to add threads to sheetmetal. I'm not sure if you rent that hand tool or you have to buy one.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Rivnuts are like a threaded rivet that you crimp into the drilled hole with that hand tool. It is a cool way to add threads to sheetmetal. I'm not sure if you rent that hand tool or you have to buy one.
Got it. I was just curious if every frontier had pre-tapped mounting holes for roof racks... sounds like they dont have the pre-tapped mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Got it. I was just curious if every frontier had pre-tapped mounting holes for roof racks... sounds like they dont have the pre-tapped mounting holes.
There are plates that go inside the roof on factory installed racks. I believe they are welded in place factory, but can simply be bolted in place for an after the fact install.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Can we get a pic of the the front where the feet line up against the windshield trim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks good. Having the rack always there comes in handy. I couldn't get myself to drill into my roof so I went with a clamp on style from Rhino rack. The initial setup took a little bit due to all the measuring to make sure they are placed right. After the initial setup I marked the channels where the clamps go with a permanent marker so I don't have to measure anymore. Takes me about 3 minutes to install them now when I need them. It would be nice to have your setup though for those unexpected times where you are carrying things you didn't plan on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
new to forum your install looks awesome I want one on mine only question is ...are the rivnuts just in the roof sheet metal or something thicker underneath if not seems a little thin to support the weight thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts