Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wdbeard has answered a bunch of questions but I don't want to keep bothering him. I just order a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD 2 din DVD Multimedia Receiver with blue , SAT, Ipod. Anyone have any time saving reccomendations? I was curious if there are any obvious mistakes to be avoided? Should I find room for the SAT Receiver and Bluetooth module behind the radio in the dash or put them in the glovebox?

Funny thing is I haven't even gotten the truck yet..... Waiting for the Cash For Clunkers to go into effect July 23rd.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i would mount them in the upper glove box. as far as the install, make sure you get the correct adapter for the stock plug and also i believe you will need an antenna adapter.

what are you planing on trading in for the C4C credit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would mount them in the upper glove box. as far as the install, make sure you get the correct adapter for the stock plug and also i believe you will need an antenna adapter.

what are you planing on trading in for the C4C credit?
I have a 97 Dodge Ram my father-in law gave me a few years ago. He plowed with it for a few years and then it sat parked for months at a time. Paint is flaking off in chunks (i painted the roof with a spray can last year...) and the under carriage is covered in rust. It is maybe worth $1500. If I went with a bigger truck I would get 4500 but on the Frontier I am looking at $3500.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i wouldnt put them in a glove box that is a waste of space, just put them maybe behind the glovebox, or in a kickpanel or something, there really is no need to install the modules in such a way that you can see them or get at them every day

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
if your having second thought or are self concious about it, go to a stereo shp and have them install it. that way if you **** up your not SOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its kinda hard to **** something up on a stereo install. All you need is a philips screwdriver, wire cutters, and some terminals. just make sure u get the proper wiring kit and the adapter for the antenna, an ur good to go. I did my hu install in under half hour, longest thing is connecting all the wires.
i did a full install in a friends altima-new head unit, speakers, SAT module and had no real issues(first stereo install in 10 years). Getting it from cruthfield the unit does come with the wiring harness so there is no cutting (aside from getting power with a crimp). I figure I would just check with you guys and see if there is anything to look out for/remember. crutchfield was actually priced right on that unit if you get bluetooth an SAT.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i wouldnt put them in a glove box that is a waste of space, just put them maybe behind the glovebox, or in a kickpanel or something, there really is no need to install the modules in such a way that you can see them or get at them every day
unlike you first gen guys we have 2 glove boxes. the large bottom box like you have but above that is another smaller box. cant do behind the glove box because thats where the cabin filters are so there is no room there. only other place in the dash would be on the drivers side. there is some room up there but its not the easiest to get to.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
No need to waste space even if we have 2 gloveboxes. I know I use both of mine and wouldn't want to lose any space. I'd think it's best to mount behind the dash somewhere.

x2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to waste space even if we have 2 gloveboxes. I know I use both of mine and wouldn't want to lose any space. I'd think it's best to mount behind the dash somewhere.
x2
The units are pretty slim so if I go with the top glove box they will take up limited space. I may go that route since it will be easy to secure them and I don't have to worry about any rattles behind the dash.

·
Registered
890 Posts
you can easily get them behind the dash somewhere, possibly even just behind the stereo once you pull it out, keep in mind if you wanna do em in your box youll have to run wires in there which probably will involve drilling holes, kinda ghetto imo just look around a bit youll find a nice place for em

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
there is NO room behind the deck because of a cross bar behind te deck. some decks wont fit with RCA's attached to the deck so you have to use L shaped RCA's. as i said, only places are under the drivers side dash or the upper glove box. why would drilling holes somewhere that no one will ever see be "getto"?

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is plenty of room behind the radio in 09. Well below the radio actually. I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT into my 09. I ran the wires though for the IPOD into the top part of the glove box. Just drilled a hole on the top of the box. looks good to me. I also installed a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat. Suggestion is take your time. And take the passenger side of the dash apart. It makes for running wires and getting into locations easier. And you run less risk of scratching things.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i have not done an 09 yet but have done plenty of 2nd gens, there is a lot of room, just look for it there isnt thaaat much stuff that coulbe back there

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
there is NO room behind the deck because of a cross bar behind te deck. some decks wont fit with RCA's attached to the deck so you have to use L shaped RCA's. as i said, only places are under the drivers side dash or the upper glove box. why would drilling holes somewhere that no one will ever see be "getto"?

There is PLENTY of room around the deck. Right behind the hvac controls is a large gaping space that will easily fit a control box or two or three. Also right above the crossbar is a slot that can hold a small module. To either side of the deck are spaces for modules. Why one would want to waste space mounting in the glovebox, regardless of whether we have two or not, is beyond me especially when there are plenty of alternative spaces already. It's so not necessary.

Another open space is under the parking brake/cup holder panel. Pops off easily to reveal a large empty space as well. There should be no reason why one wouldn't be able to secure a module to prevent rattles. Zip ties and good double sided tape are your friend.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
only other place in the dash would be on the drivers side. there is some room up there but its not the easiest to get to.
FWIW, I mounted my Xm/JVC adaptor, XM antenna/converter, Ipod interface box and two CDT Crossovers all on the drivers side up under the dash using double sided 3M foam tape and /or tie wraps. Quite a bit of room there and worth the effort to save the glove box space IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts