Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've got a 2010 SE Frontier Crew Cab *without* the Rockford Fosgate stereo. I want to replace it with a Double Dine after market stereo to get aux, bluetooth, and possibly Sattelite Radio, HD Radio, and nav.

It is a lease however. The dealership said it's totally fine to do, but I just need to make sure that nothing gets cut or changed during the install, and then when I return the truck, i just put back the original stereo.

So, three questions:
1) I was reading another thread where people had done this and showed pictures. In the pictures, wires were cut, soldered together and heat shrink added. Was this necessary or could it have been avoided with the proper wiring harness?

2) I was reading the instructions in the following PDF on how to do the install:
http://www.installer.com/pdf/99-7428b.pdf
On page 8 (numbered 6 in the pdf) it says for Double Din, cut and remove the center bar. What I'm not sure of is whether you are cutting the bar of the new aftermarket mounting bracket, or the original mounting bracket (because I wouldn't want to cut the original due to the lease). Do you know which one?

3) Is there any kind of other cutting or permanent changes that have to be made to the stock vehicle that could cause me issues down the road?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you buy the unit from Crutchfield they usually give you an installation kit that includes a harness and a Metra kit.
so...

1. No, you dont cut any wirings on the vehicle if you have a harness. You solder/crimp the harness bare wires to the after market radio harness wires. (usually just match the colors, RTFM to be sure!!)

2. The cutting of the center bar refers to the Metra kit. It is required to have dash kit to install aftermarket stereos for 2010 MY. You can cut anything on the aftermarket dash kit. You just transfer the climate control board and knobs to it.

3. No cutting required or permanent changes. take your time installing it so there would be no problem. just cross your fingers when you first turn it on. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the help! Think I'm gonna place the order then!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you install your new stereo. I'm getting ready to do the same thing in the morning. It helps to have some encouragement when ripping the dash apart on a brand spankin new truck just to get a decent ipod hook up! pictures help (hint hint).

·
Registered
84 Posts
real easy. just take your time not to break the plastic surrounds. and use the crutchfield or any other brand of harness adapters. another thing get a double din with adjustable screen angles for glare. or one that helps with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.