Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a cheap set of xenons off Amazon (Link) and they worked great in the driveway!

When I went to move the truck out to the street, it hesitated hard to start, but turned over. Now it has been a day and the battery will barely crank over after sitting for 1 hour+. Turns over immediately after turning it off.

When I got home today, I removed the ballasts (left the bulbs and everything else installed, but nothing is live) and plugged the battery into a battery tender for a while. Truck started and moved fine.

But after sitting for 3 hours, it did it again. Barely turning over.

I HIGHLY doubt the battery/alternator JUST went at the same exact time I put the xenons in, but I have not tested them individually.

I have new ballasts in the mail to me already, so I was going to ask how to test them for shorts, but now I am slightly more confused.

Any help is greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I ordered a cheap set of xenons off Amazon (Link) and they worked great in the driveway!

When I went to move the truck out to the street, it hesitated hard to start, but turned over. Now it has been a day and the battery will barely crank over after sitting for 1 hour+. Turns over immediately after turning it off.

When I got home today, I removed the ballasts (left the bulbs and everything else installed, but nothing is live) and plugged the battery into a battery tender for a while. Truck started and moved fine.

But after sitting for 3 hours, it did it again. Barely turning over.

I HIGHLY doubt the battery/alternator JUST went at the same exact time I put the xenons in, but I have not tested them individually.

I have new ballasts in the mail to me already, so I was going to ask how to test them for shorts, but now I am slightly more confused.

Any help is greatly apprecaited.
Why do you doubt the battery going bad at the exact time you installed the new lights? If you have removed any and all possible source for the lights to be draining the battery and it continues you are left with little else to blame. Batteries are generally good for 3 years some go to hell sooner and some take longer...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you doubt the battery going bad at the exact time you installed the new lights? If you have removed any and all possible source for the lights to be draining the battery and it continues you are left with little else to blame. Batteries are generally good for 3 years some go to hell sooner and some take longer...
Unsure when the battery was purchased as I've only had the truck for ~7 months now.

I have strong doubts the battery went at the exact same time I did an electrical upgrade because I am an Engineer and I refuse to believe in coincidence. No electrical foibles before at all, and then it just starts draining like a leaky bucket.

I just jumped it with a portable starter, and i noticed the negative battery terminal was loose. I removed, cleaned, and tightened it down. I don't know how I could have knocked it loose when doing the fogs, but I may have.

I'll report back if this is the culpret.

Interesting note:
- When the battery was draining, the trip odometer would reset, and upon restart, the gauges on the speedo/tach would wiggle around the "0" for 10 seconds before going back to normal. Radio presets stayed.

- When i removed the negative terminal from the battery, the presets on the radio reset, the trip odometer reset, and the alarm went off when i reconnected.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well a loose connection at the battery can surely cause you these very same issues.... Let us know what you find...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year is your truck and how old is the battery?
2009 Pro-4X.
On the battery both the 2012 and 2014 years were marked, so who knows.

Well a loose connection at the battery can surely cause you these very same issues.... Let us know what you find...
Tightened battery terminal did not work.
Battery was showing only 10.6V when truck was off and 13.9V when on.

I replaced the battery with a Duralast, and the truck seems to be back to normal... I am still going to monitor the battery for a week before I put the ballasts back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts