Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so, heres my lift thread. i'll link some info to it in my build thread but didnt want to clutter it up, so i will be adding links to all my other topical threads in the build thread when i get time to. for the time being, here is my limited picture thread on my first attempt at a lifted truck with mudding tires.

Some information first. Starting specs. First 2 sets were taken with 36psi in the stock tires.

Front height 35" rear height 36.5". this is measured from floor to fender. hub to finder measurements exist elsewhere on this forum, and since the stock heights do not change from hub to fender on any model of 2nd gen frontier, i did not bother measuring that. i also did not measure hub to fender with my lift, because again, those measurements exist, you can take the hub to fender measurement and their increases, and factor mine in compare, and extrapolate from that.

After lift and alignment measurements. 38" front 38.5" rear. thats a gain of 3" front and 2" rear. seems the front spacers gave me more than i bargained for. ( i plan to hear lots of coil bucket contact eventually). Alignment was very difficult to get correct. I finally got it within the green for everything, but its not spot on perfect even with the bolts at full crank in certain cases. the truck, however, drives with the wheel straight and does not pull or veer.

After installation of 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs: 38.5" front 39" rear. a gain of half inch of height with the duratracs. I believe the tires are close to 40PSI. i set them specifically to 40 on the tire machine, but i know that its not the most accurate piece of machinery so i will be checking them tomorrow as well. One thing i did notice, is when making quick corrections at any speed, the tires definitely show their floaty-ness. otherwise, they seem to do fairly well. no more high speed cornering for me though.

one thing to mention though. I did not get to use the bump stops that i ordered. i could not for the life of me find where they were suppose to go, and i received no directions with them to know if i were suppose to drill out a hole for them. i shall be contacting the seller (ADF) for more information on those, as well as if the 2.5" lift spacers were suppose to get 3" of front lift. im concerned about my CV axles with having a 3" lift up front.

ok. i think that covers most of it. I do need to do some trimming on the front valence, but as it sits, nothing rubs at the rear.

heres the pictures.
the tires

the lift from ADF.

excellent welding i think

painted the shackles red

the before

after

one side of the leaf springs that kinda has me worried.

one tire required 11 oz of weight!!!

but i got it zero'd out no problem

some after shots

HID lights
with fogs

the last shot before walking in to the house.

thats all for now. ill add a couple pics of the valence trimming after i get it done.
:crikey:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Pics of the bump stops? They are likely supposed to replace your stock bump stops which is the weirdly shaped rubber piece on your lower control arm. There is an access hole directly underneath it. Unscrew the OEM bumpstop and replace with the one you received in the kit.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about CV angles with that amount of lift. I had almost 3" of lift with my PRG spacers for over 30k miles with no issues and now running about 3.5" with my titan swap and sway-a-ways.

Do you wheel much? Extreme CV angles is not much of a concern in day to day driving. Full droop under load is when things start to get dicey but even then 3" lift isn't bad. I'm told nissan did one thing right with our trucks and that is good CVs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just FYI, shackles, especially ones that aren't welded together like ADF will promote a wobbly feeling in the rear. Look under at them and have somebody push left to right on your truck and you'll see what I mean. I try to avoid them unless building a crawler personally just because of this...adds to the unpredictable feeling in the ride.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just FYI, shackles, especially ones that aren't welded together like ADF will promote a wobbly feeling in the rear. Look under at them and have somebody push left to right on your truck and you'll see what I mean. I try to avoid them unless building a crawler personally just because of this...adds to the unpredictable feeling in the ride.
i really think i didnt research shackles enough. i think i should be ok still...right? like. its going to feel weird but it shouldnt hurt anything right?

Pics of the bump stops? They are likely supposed to replace your stock bump stops which is the weirdly shaped rubber piece your lower control arm. There is an access hole directly underneath it. Unscrew the OEM bumpstop and replace with the one you received in the kit.

3rd photo

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yup...

Opposite the lower shock mount is where it should go.

Right side of the pic below...
Table

Underneath...
Auto part

Just an FYI, some of the Frontier specific aftermarket UCAs have a bumpstop on the underside of the arm to prevent harsh coil bucket contact and limit droop.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bump stops go on the front leg of the upper control arm (underside), two holes there, I beleive it's the one closest to the frame. Have to drill it out to 3/8" then use a couple washers between bump stop head and the recessed plate in the leg of the arm. Probably get a 3/8"x16 thread wing nut to go inside of arm I hear is an easier way than trying to use the nuts they come with.

The upper arms look like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9102g

The ones for the Lower control arms should look like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9101g

They are taller to keep you from over compressing and bottoming out your struts, these are the ones that come with the PRG spacer kits.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Eh, the bump stops in the 3rd pic look like the bump stops I used on my stock frontier UCAs. I made a sticky about it back when my username was frontpagenews. Those bump stops look too small in diameter and height to be used on the LCA. The contact point of the frame horn may not even touch it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Eh, the bump stops in the 3rd pic look like the bump stops I used on my stock frontier UCAs. I made a sticky about it back when my username was frontpagenews. Those bump stops look too small in diameter and height to be used on the LCA. The contact point of the frame horn may not even touch it.
I considered this as well and that is why I mentioned bumps on the uppers. The PRG bumps that came with my spacers way back when were at least an inch and a half, if not more. You can find pics of it on PRG's site.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bump stops go on the front leg of the upper control arm (underside), two holes there, I beleive it's the one closest to the frame. Have to drill it out to 3/8" then use a couple washers between bump stop head and the recessed plate in the leg of the arm. Probably get a 3/8"x16 thread wing nut to go inside of arm I hear is an easier way than trying to use the nuts they come with.

The upper arms look like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9102g

The ones for the Lower control arms should look like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9101g

They are taller to keep you from over compressing and bottoming out your struts, these are the ones that come with the PRG spacer kits.
Bump...yes worth it for you coil bucket contact sanity lol. The hole is opened up like an 1/8th of an inch or so.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Looks great!! Bout damn time:goodjob:
Ditto on the shackle issue. The AC ones I have currently until I get the PRG adj ones are made with 3/8" mild steel strap and have a cross brace welded in the middle. I'll grab a pick of one of them. The ones you have will work but they will definitely flex quite a bit and may eventually bend if you start wheeling it regularly (assuming you don't mind making the 6 hour trip to the nearest place).
And yes, the small puck style bump goes on the bottom of the UCA.

How are the duratracs on the road? They definitely look impressive

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the Duratracs do sing to me at a low volume starting at 45-50mph. i imagine theyll get louder as they wear, but, thats what i expected with the tread pattern. now that others have pointed out the floatiness of the shackles, i thinking that the floatiness im feeling, isnt the tires because i feel it more in the rear, so i think its just the shackles..and that bothers me.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just seen 4x4 parts (AC) adjustable lift shackle. it appears the only difference between that, and my ADF shackles, (besides adjustment points) is that they have a square piece of tubing welded between the plates...

i wonder if thats something that i could do that would be enough to resolve my loose rear end.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice,
I've had 2" front spacers for months and just havent gotten around to putting them in.

Maybe this week. Also contemplating on whether I will need rear blocks too

1 - 20 of 141 Posts